Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Original GemSet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 am 
Platinum Member

Hi Tino,
I just occurred to me that a phone call to Charles Carmona, Guild Gem Labs, might help you along. If he doesn't use a GemSet he can probably refer you to someone in LA who does. You probably already know him, he's in the 550 building.
http://www.guildlabs.com/contact.cfm

www.artcutgems.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Tino...welcome.

Doesn't Modo have one of these sets?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:09 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi Tino
I do have one at work that you can borrow if that is of any help. I am in San Francisco so it would have to be shipped unless you want a reason to come to the bay area!
Starla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:26 pm 
Established Member

Well, I'm impressed at how many replies this thread has received! Thank you all for the suggestions.

Starla, I very much appreciate the offer to ship your set to me but I'm sure I'll find something local. Besides, this is no urgent matter.

Rick, I'll take up your suggestion and contact Charles Carmona, whom I've known more than half my life.

Frank, who is Modo? I'm kind of reclusive so I don't meet everyone. Which, by the way, is one of the reasons I thought it would be a great idea to join this site! I'm very pleased at the outpouring of greetings. Thank you all! And I'm sure I can learn a lot from this enthusiastic crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:04 pm 

Hey Tino
Feel free to email me if you would like it sent
removed by admin
Cheers
Starla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:28 pm 
Gold Member

ok somebody remove the email addy before the spammers sell it

wolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Wolf, do you have any idea how easy it is to find out an email address?
OK, I've removed it none the less.
Contact me directly if you would like email contact information.
:)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Tino, Modo is a forum member (who obviously isn't following this thread). After ten posts you can pm her...until then I'll pm her for you and direct her here. I'm pretty sure I've read her claim she has one though she's in Minnesotta living now...maybe you could ask questions by e-mail?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:47 am 
Established Member

Frank wrote:
Tino, Modo is a forum member (who obviously isn't following this thread). After ten posts you can pm her...until then I'll pm her for you and direct her here. I'm pretty sure I've read her claim she has one though she's in Minnesotta living now...maybe you could ask questions by e-mail?

Thanks Frank. However, I'll need to compare sets directly in person so I have high hopes I'll find someone here in LA. I have a lead or two now which I haven't followed up yet since this is not a top priority for me. Thanks for the thought though.

Tino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Hi Tino ... I'm MoDo :lol: Welcome to our little family!

I haven't been following this thread because my router died! No internet access for two days :smt013 .

I have the smaller set of paddles, and you're right ... not much use, although they are pretty to look at :mrgreen: . Can't believe they're selling for $800!! I'd better put them in a safe-deposit box :P .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:13 pm 
Established Member

Morning Dove wrote:
Hi Tino ... I'm MoDo :lol: Welcome to our little family!

I haven't been following this thread because my router died! No internet access for two days :smt013 .

I have the smaller set of paddles, and you're right ... not much use, although they are pretty to look at :mrgreen: . Can't believe they're selling for $800!! I'd better put them in a safe-deposit box :P .

Hi MoDo. Mine is the full set of 324 paddles but with the pre-GIA numbering system imprinted on them.

For a lark I weighed a few of them and they come in just under 3 carats, an average of 2.97c. So at the "buy it now" price of the set on ebay right now that's about $4 per carat. Maybe Alberto and the others' price estimates are more reasonable at somewhere between $1 and $2 per carat. Still pretty good for plastic!

Seriously though, I think the system has merit because the medium has a closer look and dimensionality to real gems than the other systems out there. In considering the color of anything it's important to note the medium. That's part of the reason it's not always easy to reproduce gems in print. There's more to say about that, but that could be a whole discussion on its own.

Granted, minerals have optical characteristics that are different and often more complicated than plastic, but I have come up with a way to manage some of it. For instance, for pleochroic stones that really show more than one color you can identify two or more different paddles to identify each. Same for color change stones, though I haven't really examined if any of the paddles have their own color shifts worth considering. The paddles are probably best viewed under standardized lighting conditions.

Geez, I didn't know I had that much to say... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:09 am 

Hi Tino,
Have you managed to find answer in regards to cross reference for the GemSet. I have the same problem and I don't know if there any solution for it. If somehow you were successful to figure it out then please let me know.
All the best,
Turquoise

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi turquoise and welcome to the forum.

You've posted in a thread which is over a year old.
Perhaps you can restate exactly what you need with your GemSet.
What specifically do you mean by "cross reference".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:08 am 
Established Member

Hi guys,

This might be slightly off the conversation, but with everyone discussing the GIA Gemset color paddles, I was wondering how they compare against the digital systems like Gem-e-wizard. I understand people say that GIA supports this e-method of color grading, but at the same time I read that the differences in different computer screens ability to show color is a problematic factor in this way. I'm also a graphic designer so I can relate with those guys.

Recently I finished the Colored Stone grading class at GIA hong kong, and they used the GIA Gemset color paddles to teach us about grading. Throughout our practice sessions with their stones we were encouraged to use the paddles in our judgement process.
They were very useful for me and my classmates, though I was wondering how this method was better or worse than the electronic ones (like Gem-e-wizard) in the eyes of professional gemologists. Just looking for opinions :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Admin

I think new monitors can be calibrated to be reliable to get consistent results with GemeWizard.
My issue with the software is that there is NO customer service nor response.
I purchased the software years ago.
I purchased a new laptop and needed their assistance to use the software as I misplaced my licensing key,
I've contacted them several times over a period of several months and my emails either bounce back or are never answered. Their software is only accessible through THEIR server.

That is a major issue.
For that reason, I suggest Gem Dialog. At least once you buy it, you own it.