Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Nikon SMZ10
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:31 am 
Platinum Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-SMZ-10-Stereo ... 5193c45286

The scope John Koivula likes. This surplus dealer seller always asks too high a price but they will often deal. They aren't that far off on this scope. I have seen them bring high prices. The only scope that can shoot stereo pairs easily using only one camera. You flip a lever for left or right eye view to the camera.

You could take the black and white camera off of it and buy a holder from Dr. Bill that will allow you to place your OPL spectroscope on the camera and have one of Dr. Bills 1988 model video spectroscopes. Then put a real camera on the microscope.

Post subject: Re: Nikon SMZ10
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:09 am 
Site Admin

i have that scope and it's nice, neverthless, be aware that we're talking about a 10-40X stereo zoom and IF you're interested and you want to boost the mag factor by using an auxiliary lens, they're VERY RARE to find (especially 2x) and due to the unusual size of the thread (44 mm) i found NO commercial that can be suitable, Just for the record i own that scope since 1 year and still didn't find NO auxiliary lens although i search for them on daily bases. For the work i purchased that scope 40x are indeed too low.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:25 am 
Platinum Member

I bought a set of these
from this seller who has them in 0.5x , 1.5x and 2.0x They are probably Motic copies of the Wild auxiliaries, and Motic probably got the tooling when they started making their version of the M5A supposedly with tooling and licenses purchased from Wild. The Motic clone has an excellent reputation.

The lenses I received were very excellent in quality and would be very easy to adapt to the SMZ10. Like oculars, having strict matching of auxiliary lenses, by manufacturer, is probably unnecessary, for most applications. And these are swing out, so you can leave them on and swing them in or out as needed.

Barbra, I bet these would work on your scope too, with some fitment. In both cases something would be needed to thread into the front of the scope, and then, a disc a couple of mm thick, to attach the auxiliary lens to, by means of its own clamp and screw knob.

The seller is a pleasant ebayer, and made me a deal for all three at $55 plus schippink.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-0-5X-Stereo-Mic ... 487wt_1015

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1-5X-Stereo-Mic ... 487wt_1015

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:41 pm 

nikon microscopes are excellent i am using the older model smz1 7-30 magnification do you think this 2x auxiliary lens will be suitable for my microscope? thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member

I would expect them to work. The only issue would be to mechanically attach them to the snoot of your microscope. They have a nice clamp the diameter of which I will measure and report back. You will need to make a disk of that diameter perhaps out of black Delrin or anything handy even wood spray painted black, and affix to it a male thread perhaps stolen form an equal sized camera filter to screw the assembly into your scope.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:25 am 
Valued Contributor

Alberto wrote:
i have that scope and it's nice, neverthless, be aware that we're talking about a 10-40X stereo zoom and IF you're interested and you want to boost the mag factor by using an auxiliary lens, they're VERY RARE to find (especially 2x) and due to the unusual size of the thread (44 mm) i found NO commercial that can be suitable, Just for the record i own that scope since 1 year and still didn't find NO auxiliary lens although i search for them on daily bases. For the work i purchased that scope 40x are indeed too low.

Two 2x auxiliary lenses are now available on ebay. A rare item if you are looking for one....or two.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-SMZ10-2x- ... 1c3eb12d85

The views expressed here are the author's opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of the his employer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:21 pm 
Platinum Member

the seller "Absoluteclarity" is probably Absolute Clarity and Calibration whose
"Microscopes to Buy and Avoid" I have quoted, pointed to and referred to many times. I have corresponded with the gentleman and we agree on numerous things.
Make sure if you look up that essay that you look up the real original version in the internet archive, not the de-clawed version posted after he was threatened by lawyers. There are one or two recommendations in the page I don't agree with 100% but it is all pretty good advice.

I think buying these from him would be a very safe purchase.