January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Choosing a fiberoptic illuminator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:03 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I regards to purchasing a new gemological use fiberoptic illuminator. (At this time, I desire a light usage system and do not desire to purchase used equipment.) Does anyone have specific comments about a few models I have seen online from Amscope? The price is certainly lower than some other brands. (Under $250.) Specifically models HL250-S, HL250-AY, HL150-BY, and HL150-AY. Additionally, what is the advantages of a single fiber light system versus a dual fiber system?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:17 am 
Platinum Member

I have only heard complaints from people on this forum as well as on the photomacrography.net forum regarding the ones you mentioned. Your mileage may vary.
the problems all related to quality control issues. Perhaps they have solved the problems.
You can be the test subject.

You are much better off purchasing a FOSTEC or Volpi or Schott of Dolan-Jenner used.
They also come up new in the box on ebay all the time.

A dual guide divides the light into two halves so you can illuminate from more than one direction. A single guide throws it all on one spot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schott-Fostec-D ... 19ce7c72bd

This FOSTEC will operate anywhere in the world. It comes with a guide Buy It Now for
$152.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=FOS ... rom=&_ipg=

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:29 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Continuing about the topic of a one fiber system versus a two fiber system.
1. Light is usually rated in "intensity" (luments per unit area) Are the 2 fiber systems dividing a certian amount of available light (i.e. you only get half of the intensity from each separate fiber.) Or is each fiber able to "harvest" it's own light from the bulb and you effectively obtain twice as much light by having a two fiber system?
2. Secondly is there a gemology reason you need fiber optic light from two directions (two fibers)? (I.E. why have a second fiber?) I am new to the gemology game and I have only so far heard about needing strong side light from one direction and variable intensity single direction light for things like a spectroscope or dichroscope.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 am 
Site Admin

dennisfrei wrote:
1. Light is usually rated in "intensity" (luments per unit area) Are the 2 fiber systems dividing a certian amount of available light (i.e. you only get half of the intensity from each separate fiber.)

yeah, exactly.

Quote:
2. Secondly is there a gemology reason you need fiber optic light from two directions (two fibers)? (I.E. why have a second fiber?) I am new to the gemology game and I have only so far heard about needing strong side light from one direction and variable intensity single direction light for things like a spectroscope or dichroscope.

sometimes is very useful to have 2 sources, illuminating inclusions from different angles comes to my mind, i think you will realize that ASA you start to use it..... :wink:
ciao
alberto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 pm 
Established Member

OK, I‘ve decided to invest in fiberoptic illumination. And this thread has been very helpful. I see that the following makers seem to be the recommended ones: Fostec, Schott of Dolan Jenner, and Volpi. Will watch ebay to see what pops up.

However, some newbie questions. When I look at vendors, I see various products and attachments but need some advice.
(1) First, do the attachments fit illuminators interchangeably or is it necessary to buy the ones from the specific manufacturer?
(2) Pinpoint fiber optic attachment. Recommended? How used?
(3) Condensing lens attachment. Recommended? How used?
(4) Diffusing lens attachment. Recommended? How used?

Many thanks from this newbie!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:43 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
First, do the attachments fit illuminators interchangeably or is it necessary to buy the ones from the specific manufacturer?

Generally they are not interchangeable. There is some interchangeability but you have to know which fits with which.
Volpi gear and FOSTEC are close and when that happens if the light source is the larger size sometimes you can fit a light guide that is a little too small (about a mm or so size difference and you can only go in one direction ie. the smaller guide can fit into a too big illuminator but not the other way around.)

Dolan Jenner have a nice system of inserts that allows their illuminators to take anybody's light guides. The illuminator has a female cylinder that is larger than anybody's light guide and they sell or you can very easily have made male cylinders that will adapt any light guide.

German Schott (not the same as FOSTEC Schott) is not interchangeable with anything else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Schott-Mi ... category=0

Quote:
Pinpoint fiber optic attachment. Recommended? How used?

GIA used to sell these for $450. You can still buy them from Dolan Jenner (who built them for GIA)

There are also other ones you can find.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190781545177?ss ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200876404114?ss ... 1423.l2649

The above two items would need adaptation to a particular light source. Not a moon shot.

They are handy for certain purposes, but nonessential. If you are a tool collector and user they are nice.

Quote:
Condensing lens attachment. Recommended? How used?

Mainly a high priced add-on sale that does not really do that much. They do shade the dazzlingly bright emission end of the fiber optic guide. There are little hoods that do that too for less money.
I have a bunch of them but rarely use them.
Quote:
Diffusing lens attachment. Recommended? How used?

Pretty much totally unnecessary. Of more interest in compound microscope use.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 pm 
Established Member

Thanks so much!

I do like gadgets, but it sounds like what I need to begin with is the fiber optic light source and a light pipe (with a double arm pipe being the recommendation)?

Again, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 am 
Valued Contributor

Check out the DIY post by Egor for a fiber optic light!
Quote:
Here is my contribution with DIY fiber optic illuminator :D : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18097&hilit=diy+fiber+optic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

i've done egor's diy and it's really fun. however, i ended up placing them next to the bed for reading lights for 2 reasons - it's not bright enough for my needs, and i'm used to a much smaller pinpoint illuminator. i knew that going in - but i figured i'd try.

my 2 cents is/are: the smaller the pinpoint illuminator the better. i use it (3mm) everyday at work and it is indispensable. every gemologist should have a FO light and PP illuminator.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:08 am 
Valued Contributor

jimsfault wrote:
i've done egor's diy and it's really fun. however, i ended up placing them next to the bed for reading lights for 2 reasons - it's not bright enough for my needs, and i'm used to a much smaller pinpoint illuminator. i knew that going in - but i figured i'd try.

my 2 cents is/are: the smaller the pinpoint illuminator the better. i use it (3mm) everyday at work and it is indispensable. every gemologist should have a FO light and PP illuminator.

I second that.
I did Egor's DIY as well. It's too diffuse..