January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Where to find a used Gia Diamond Dock?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:22 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi Guys,

I was browsing on the GIA website looking at their tools, and I really like the look of their Diamond Dock. I have contemplated making my own after reading other threads which basically say that the Dock is basically a grey box with a couple of daylight tubes and colour specific LEDs. However, I've decided that I really would prefer the proper piece of equipment.

However, I can't quite afford or justify the cost of a new unit, so I was wondering if anyone of the forum had any suggestion of who I could speak who might be interested in selling their used Diamond Dock for a decent price?

Any thoughts on who to approach? Or if there is one for sale anywhere I would love to hear about it.

Cheers, David.

Post subject: Re: Where to find a used Gia Diamond Dock?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Not everyone is a huge fan of the new diamond dock, David.
Discussed previously:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13649
with accompanying photos:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:25 pm 

Crikey.... that is not a nice image for a piece of highly technical GIA gemological equipment :)

Actually, in truth I think that it does have its weaknesses and I understand some of the concerns that many contributors have about how it can unintentionally enhance the appearance of certain stones.

However, I have set my heart on owning one :) So I am really hoping that there are some people out there that would consider selling!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm 
Platinum Member

http://www.dazor.com/spectrowave-diamon ... binet.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 pm 

Hi G4Lab,

I did seriously consider the dazor unit (and by the way, one day, when I have a bit more cash, I really want one of their speckfinder [-o< units).

The particular benefit for me of the GIA version, is that they conducted their cut grade analysis using this unit, and so for reasons of compatibility, I really think a Dock is the way forward. But are there any out there which could be for sale at the right price?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 pm 
Platinum Member

The Diamond Dock is so recent, that it is unlikely you will find many available, used.
And I think the statements linking the Diamond Dock, with their cut research are mainly marketing. (JMO)
If you don't want to pop for a SpectraWave or whatever Dazor calls it , then find yourself a used GIA DiamondLite which was the standard of the industry for about forty years.
One just sold on ebay for about $374. Even these are getting much harder to find and
bringing more $$$ used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-DIAMOND-LIT ... _290wt_954

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 am 
Platinum Member

Another alternative is a Pantone or simlar graphic arts viewing box. This one actually sold for $555 but there are a lot of them out there and sometimes you can pick them up for a reasonable price.

There was a Macbeth Judge one of these that actually folded up into an attache.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pantone-Color-V ... 215wt_1192

http://www.colorhq.com/GTI-and-X-Rite-L ... s-s/41.htm
Here are the current models available and their current (over)pricing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 pm 

Hi G4Lab,

I hadn't thought about a Pantone box. I REALLY like the look of these. One time I did a tour of the HRD lab in Antwerp, and they were using on of these as a backdrop to help assess fancy colour diamonds. If I had seen that ebay advert before hand I would definitely have bid on this item as well, to add to my collection :)

On the diamond lite, I have been trying to keep on eye out for one of these as well, because as you say, they would be really nice for colour grading. I need to check my search method, as I'm sure I looked recently in ebay and I didn't see that one quoted on ebay which has now completed.

I agree that the Dock is relatively modern and is unlikely to come up for sale, but I'm just hoping, perhaps against the balance of probability, that either someone just decides that they don't need their Dock, or they decide to perhaps swap for a Diamond Lite and pocket the difference in price.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 pm 
Platinum Member

The Pantone and Macbeth boxes are a good alternative that have been manufactured and sold for the whole post world war ii period so there are zillions of them and you can find them cheapo sometimes.

I doubt there will be too many good deals on the diamond Lite. I dragged my feat and didn't buy one when I first got on fleabay. Holding out for one REALLY cheap. They used to go for $100 to $150 but I haven't seen on go that cheap in like eight years. $250 to $500 seems to be what they bring now.

I have never seen a diamond dock on ebay. Maybe GIA could sell you a demo or used unit at a reduced price.