January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: MacroRail vertical version. The power in your hand...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:01 am 
Valued Contributor

Currently has a distance of 50 cm of usable space. But that's not a problem because it can be manufactured in other measures if necessary.

In the video i used a extension tubes that have 22cm from the camera sensor to the microscope objetive.

Regards, Oscar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 am 

Sounds good :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi to all,

Ahother interesting of that i development in this moment is the sub-stacks advanced option:

I give an example of Cornwallita mineral (used this always for optics and functions test), where I stacked 140 pictures in a range of 5 microns to move 0.7 mm. Then I proceeded through this advanced mode and as you can see in the picture to make sub-stacks of 18 photos, 6 photos overlapping between stacked, with a total of 12 sub-stacks by Helicon Focus Method A, to make the final stack using Helicon Focus to method B.

The full stack of 140 photos from the Helicon Focus takes 16:56 minutes. Keep in mind that the Helicon images displayed on the screen one by one.

The stacked by sub-stack system takes 7:41 minutes. It takes less because it has no picture on the screen except the progress bars.

Why do takes much less in the sub-stack? because apart from not having to present any image (Helicon say that without it earns a 30% speed) by having to treat small groups of pictures, it takes less time to stack, all images are loaded into memory while when many this is impossible.

I put pictures of the results for yourselves whether it to value or not worth using this process. I had to reduce by 1/4 the size of the resulting images.

Keep in mind this is a quick test without bothering too light, stacking, etc.., Since the objective is to make a complete test not a work of art.

Helicon Focus stack. Normal stacking.

Sub-stacking method. My app.

I painted red arrows here so you can see the differences quickly: http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/indexSinViewtopic.php?p=58783#58783

Regards, Oscar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Oscar, what's the size of that green balls of Cornwallite?

Just a sidebar observation: making inclusions photos with trinocular microscope I've never made more than 20 shots for stacking.
Probably it gives more depth of field than your setup. And it also leaves good working distance for lighting, etc.
So I'm looking forward to try your vertical rail with trinocular mounted!..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Egor,

The size of each ball are 0,3mm. This samples are only for demo propoused.

The next image is more seriusly version with 64 photos stacked.

Regards, Oscar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Very nice picture indeed! =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Because administrators want to publish business information including prices so I will.

The first thing to tell you that we are a group of fans of minerals that spend time doing macro photography, micro and normal size.

My name is Oscar, I am part of that group and I'm the developer of all the programs we use. Some of them I have already submitted. Which I think is quite interesting for all, the name of this software is "Macrophotography" and is available for Canon SLRs, Nikon and Olympus. The software license cost is 90€ and includes support and free updates for one year. Your license app is not limited.

Then there is Juan Antonio who has a business specifically to robotics and production lines but which among other things also manufactures devices for photography, including focus rail that I have presented named MacroRail. They are made entirely by us and we can adapt to the needs of each.

-The Vertical MacroRail Professional version is the topten our range and is the most striking for everything related to gemology as it allows not only for cameras, trinocular head of a magnifying glass or microscope with an adapter. This is an high quality device because it is required by the needs. It's made in steel and aluminium. The price of this product is 1,335 € + VAT if they are in Europe.

Are made to be durable for lifetime and works initially to 1,6 microns. 30Kgr support a load to give you an idea of ​​the quality they have. The materials we used are very expensive.

-Vertical version can carry an accessory that is tailored to your magnifying glass or microscope trinocular. The price of this is 65 €. To build it we will ask two measures, the distance between the head and the MacroRail, and the diameter.

We have another accessories like 2d and 3d tables, etc.

I have used this type of rail focus for taking photos for over two years and are great.

If you have any questions, wish to make a purchase or reservation contact me by private message or access to MacroRail.com.

The Web page is not finished, I'm developing in these weeks so apologies if you can not yet access to all information.

Regards, Oscar.

Last edited by ofarcis on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 am 
Valued Contributor

Of course, if any people have an focus rail and don't know how can automatized, i can help you with the electronics parts, cables, etc. To sure that the software can control you device.

Regards, Oscar.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:07 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Recently I was enjoying a lot working for the first time with my new MacroRail for inclusions photomicrography. Great experience! Here are some first impressions about it.

It’s large and robust, with its 35 x 35 cm base and 51 cm height, it gives an impression of a “serious thing”, not a toy! Once you have the trinocular microscope and camera mounted, it has zero vibrations, and it’s all converted in a one solid thing! All technical specifications are available here: http://macrorail.com/VerProductoEng.php?P=2

You can use it as a normal microscope, with large and comfortable manual focusing knobs on both sides, with adjustable tension. Once you are focusing on the initial point for the sequence of shots, you can use additional knob to fix the manual adjustment at this point, and then to move the head only with the motor controlled by the program.

The height of the mast leaves a great working distance below the head of the scope, so I placed there the base of the scope just to use it as transmitted light illuminator.

Two cables are used to connect the MacroRail, one for power feed and other for USB connection to computer. Photo camera should be also connected to computer, and the same software controls both rail and camera.

Here are some pictures:

General view, with accessory ring to hold the microscope head, this ring is custom made for every client.

Of course, you can also place your camera directly on the MacroRail, with all macro lenses, extension rings, microscope objectives and other toys for photomacrography.

Here is the ring already placed on the Rail and ready to hold the scope.

With microscope and camera mounted.

Side view, you can see two connections of the rail, power feed and control cable to USB computer port.

The large knob is to use manual focusing and the small one below just to fix the position and move the head using motor controlled by computer. In fact even if you don’t fix it, there is no movement of the manual focusing when you move the head with the motor.

Metallic ring (marked with red arrow) is used to adjust the tension of manual focusing knobs.

And here is all connected and ready to enjoy!

How it works:

You just observe the inclusions as always with your microscope, or you can use live view option of the program to observe them directly on the screen. When you want to make a picture of something nice, you set the start and end points for the sequence of shots and establish how many shots you want to make within this distance and what program you want to use for stacking (they should be installed in your computer).

You also can adjust all main camera settings directly from the program (ISO, speed, size of pictures, mirror lockup, etc.). You can make a test shot and also to select the area of interest on the screen, so the stacking will be done only for that area (another great time saver!).

All the rest is done by the program, it automatically calculates the distance for head movements between shots, it moves to the starting point, makes the first shot, moves to the second, etc… Once the sequence is finished, the shots are automatically processed for stacking and the results are presented in other window, with possibilities to use other staking program or method, apply filters, etc.

By the way, MacroRail's first destination was the photomacrography of minerals, it’s a joint project by two passionate mineral collectors, Juan Antonio Bernabeu - his firm Heber SL has a large experience in robotics and industrial processes automatization (they make things like this), and Oscar Fernández, professional IT engineer. And it works just great for inclusions photography! It really saves a lot of time and makes the stacking photomicrography more precise and enjoyable!

Finally, I’m posting here some of my new pictures recently made using MacroRail!

Epigenetic pyrite crystals in quartz fissure. Field of View 7 mm.

Same type inclusions in other sample, note crystal growth zones. FoV 6 mm.

Epidote needle and associated fissures in quartz. FoV 11 mm.

Typical lily-pad inclusions in peridot, with interference colors. FoV 7 mm.

Secondary iron oxy-hydroxides precipitated in quartz fissure. FoV 7.5 mm.

Last edited by Egor Gavrilenko on Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:40 pm 

Bravo! Crystal clear pictures.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:43 am 

Are there stacks in that last few pics?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:54 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Tim wrote:
Are there stacks in that last few pics?

Yes, they all are stacked, the last one only 3-4 shots, others up to 7. Quite low magnification in all these pics, so no need to use more shots, the depth of field is large.

I stack with Helicon and Zerene, usually I like more Zerene results.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:04 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

I present a series of photos where you can see how we build some pieces of the vertical MacroRail Pro.

Best regards, Oscar.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:54 am 
Valued Contributor

And here parts before anodizing prepared of five MacroRails.

Best regards, Oscar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:14 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi to all,

My minerals micro collection, you can see here: http://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=18400

I hope you like.

Regards, Oscar.