Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Dumont VS Generic titanium tweezers: Full review
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:04 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

DavinciQc wrote:
@Stairman: It's for sure less important when you're a hobbyist. But when you're working hours sorting hundreds of carats of small and medium rough diamonds it makes all the difference! Even when sorting $$$$$ of rough diamonds your main tool is still a few dollar tweezers. So using during many hours long a tool that's half the weight, DOES make a big difference.

sorry ...just hard to get my head around tweezers being heavy or light. I work building custom hardwood staircases with heavy wood working power tools all day. Then load and unload them into a truck across uneven ground of homebuilding sites in progress. Guess it is what you get used too. I might have a couple drill bits that weigh less then a tweezer....just never considered changing from the best drill bit for the money because one is lighter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:01 pm 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
If you are a professional diamond sorter, there are more efficient ways to get the job done.....
:smt102

@ Ms Voltaire: In management when we refer to efficiency we refer to the efficient use of resources. One major factor here regarding equipment is the economic cost, especially purchase and operating costs. Could you please elaborate on the purchase and operating costs of those alternatives "more efficient" ways. Are you referring to electronic sorting machines? I thing those are quite expensive and are made for sorting batches of thousand of carats. This kind of equipment might be good for DeBeers, Alrosa, Argyle. But what if one's needs are on smaller scale?

Last edited by DavinciQc on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:08 pm 
Established Member

stairman wrote:
just never considered changing from the best drill bit for the money because one is lighter.
[/quote]

That would be useless in your case because the drill bit is only a tiny part of the whole tool: the drill itself. A good analogy would if DeWalt was putting on the market a power or cordless drill half the weight of their previous model (same torque, same power, same specs...). Would you be willing to consider it the next time you need to buy a drill?

Are we talking about drills and drill bits on a gemology forum? Well geologists do use drills and drill bits after all. Hey we do live in a really small world!

Is it what the economist and author Jeff Rubin was referring to in his book "Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller"?!? Nan... I'm joking!

On a serious note, it's an interesting book. For you info Jeff Rubin is the former Chief Economist with CIBC World Markets. I won't say I agree 100% with the author on everything he wrote. Some of his arguments are quite extreme. But it surely makes you think about our society, are way of life. And when you're working in Africa as I do, you do take the time to link the author's various arguments. You then realize he could be right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:57 am 
Valued Contributor

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
None of the tweezers in my coffee cup are titanium because they can leave a black residue on the girdles of fashioned gems.

Hey, that's one more thing I didn' know.
I learn things from you guys every day, even minor things is nice to learn, who else would have given me that knowledge? We don't have gem clubs and so here in Sweden in that way. We are a small country.
So I don't think these minor things are an insult to this forum, Gene. :wink: :wink: :wink:
By the way - I read and learn and like all others of your writings in this forum, Gene!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 am 
Platinum Member

Like Barbra I have a lot of tweezers around here. I am certain, that discovering duMont tweezers in 1969 or so, contributed to my tool habit. If all the tweezers I have were laid end to end they would reach to........ (I was around for a big Silicon Valley surplus sell off in the seventies when you could buy real duMont tweezers new for bargain prices. Often the surplus dealers did not know what they had. :wink: )

I also spent a lot of time in surgical product sales , support and development and have been in many facilities where these things are designed and built. (In Switzerland and the USA). I have been involved with limb replantation surgery which is done under the stereo microscope and been trained to assist in such repairs under the microscope. All the materials commonly used for tweezers (as in the duMont and other catalogs) are used for these things with specific reasons for each. I feel quite comfortable discussing most tools and tweezers in particular. When a surgeon is handling a 1.5mm diameter blood vessel with a forceps , hoping to sew it back together , he knows EXACTLY what kind of feel he wants in a tweezer or microscissor or any other instrument and surgeons are quite good at making their wishes known to their vendors.

We are all entitled to our own perspectives and also to our opinions.
And my opinion is that tweezers don't need a "full review" . The phrase "full review" implies comprehensive testing and serious content. In fact this "review" was a pretentious series of opinions, which reminded me of reviews of audio equipment (also typically lacking in scientifically measurable content). Who cares how much a tweezer weighs? Most of us have scales here. If I want pictures I can look on their catalog pages. (or in several drawers) I don't need anyone to tell me that duMont are probably better than the clones. (although there are some very good clones too.)

I even recognize the value of reviews of the simpler tools we use. I am always interested and willing to learn about things that could be handy. The posters' other reviews did not set me off. It is the presumptuous phrase, "full review" that is an insult to the members of this forum and page who have taken the trouble to write about things they actually spent time learning about and have enough experience to have a decent basis in comparison. The "review" of two very similar pairs of tweezers had an absurdly high handed tone , attempting to sound authoritative. The weight and feel differences between the two tweezers mentioned don't amount to a hill of beans. Anyone skilled at handling stones could use either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:10 pm 
Established Member

For the people worrying that titanium tweezers might leaves black residue on a stone, G4Lab gave us a good tip few weeks ago: put heat shrink tubing on the tweezers tips. I guess his solution could solve that problem while having the benefit of not adding much weight to the tweezers.