January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New to Gems, off to Cambodia
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:44 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi everyone. So, about me. I am moving to Phnom Pehn, Cambodia soon to live and work on my writing. As it stands, I will have about two years there. Could do more or less, depending on how things progress. I have a doctorate and currently work as a professor (in a field unrelated to gemology), now looking to take some time to just focus on writing.

In the last few months I have become very interested in the field of gems and have been doing a good bit of research. And as much as I love writing, I am still far from making a decent living from it.

So, with my time in Cambodia, I'm curious if I could make a supplemental income in gems? I am tempted to grab a decent microscope and other goodies needed to ID / learn about the Cambodia-sourced gems. I know I don't have the credentials of a GIA GG, but I'm eager to learn and focus my attention on just the Cambodian gems. It seems in a city like Phnom Pehn there are a lot of scammers and misrepresented gems circulated, perhaps an honest guy with the tools to legitimize his stones could do ok?

Curious what everyone's preliminary thoughts are?

Also great site, almost too much info!

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: New to Gems, off to Cambodia
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:05 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Why not make it a subject to write about?
With limited knowledge, jumping into gemstone buying is a really silly idea, but what an exellent source of story material.
I look forward to hearing what you decide to do, and welcome to the forum.
Barry.

Post subject: Re: New to Gems, off to Cambodia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:33 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thanks for the thoughts. I think it could be an interesting topic to write about but at least for now I have a few writing projects going.

Curious what others' thoughts are on my intentions of showing up with some identification tools and trying to carve out some kind of revenue from sourcing good (genuine/natural) Cambodian stones for travelers or other buyers who realize that the stores in Phnom Penh may not be fully disclosing or honestly representing what is in their store.

From what I can tell, there are a lot of nice domestic stones there but very hard for people to find legitimate stones in Phnom Penh.

I have had success in other fields and have a good head on my shoulders. Plus living in Cambodia, I think I have the benefit of cutting my acquisition costs significantly below most others. Also, it would seem there is a benefit for everyone to have someone reliable and honest permanently in Phnom Penh.

Thanks for the input!