January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sithy gems plagiarism and theft!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:07 am 
Valued Contributor

It was recently brought to my attention by a fellow member on this site that the supposed lapidary going by the name of 'Sithy gems' has stolen a lot of pictures of my work and other custom cutters and is representing them as their own.
I have contacted this bunch of unscrupulous imitators before and asked them to desist but they do not respond.Please try to spread the word and be forewarned that if you order any gems from them expecting the same quality you see in the pictures you are likely to be very dissapointed.If they cannot represent their work with their own photos then I can only assume their real work is a rip off as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Contact the company that is hosting their site and inform them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:20 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

GRRRR.
Well done on selling a few more sweet gems too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:51 pm 
Platinum Member

well that sucks..a quick search of the word sith of course comes up with the bad guys on star wars and the acronym "sick in the head"..so maybe thats a clue..LOL..maybe see what ed bristol has to say about them since they are from sri lanka..sorry..that sucks..thats exactly what it means..they are using well cut stone pics to show off there poorly cut stones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:42 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I am furious, :twisted: which does not happen to me too often. Sithy gems have done a MAJOR theft of images created by super talented American faceters. I can identify who cut most of the gemstone pictures on their website.

“Its just a piece of JUNK i would say.” This is their words to describe synthetic alexandrite. I would say they ARE just a piece of JUNK in the global gemstone industry. :smt011

I am a slave to cutting a stone completely free of chips and very much enjoying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a link to some proactive ways to deal with online plagiarism:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4580801_stop-pl ... -deal.html

As I mentioned before, letters to their ISP is helpful.

Do a google search for the company and send a letter of complaint to EVERYONE who links to their site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:07 pm 
Valued Contributor

Quote:

Thanks for the link,I intend to follow up,they have a lot of Jeff Graham's work on there as well.I spoke with him about it long before he passed and he said that he had "had it out" with another bunch of these jerks and nothing came of it because of their location but I like the ISP and Google route ,that will hit them where it hurts hopefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:05 am 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:

Been done in the past as I remember from Jeff and the current thread on USFG List. Asian ISP and ignores all requests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

If one does a google search for the company you will find it linked from many American sites.
Complain to them, explaining the circumstance.

And with a little effort, you will find sithy gems own a .com.
Find out who is hosting that. It's not futile, just extremely labor intensive.
I am purposely NOT posting links to any of their sites, by the way.

As it appears, they are using photos of someone else's faceting designs to promote their ability to do excellent faceting. Certainly if that were the case, they could simply shoot some pics of their copies and post those.

There are at least 5 sites who attempt to run my entire site through their domains.
Example:
Click to view
I have a few things in place to make it difficult, but a clever programmer can sort out my blocks.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:13 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbra,

Just a simple question from a naive austrian computer user...

What the heck is the benefit they try to get by mirroring GL over their domain? Maybe the answqer is simple but I just don´t get it ....

Regarding the theft of Pics and designs: Theres always a second way of getting to the goal. If the labour of writing to ISP and LinkReDirecters doesn´t fruit, I suppose to fight fire with fire.

Write to CCC, The Chaos Computer Club. They are a Hacker Organisation that DOESN`t hack for profit or harm or burglary, but to improve internet security by finding leaks and informing the site owners about the security breach.

If you tell them what your problem is, a server in Sri Lanka, people that don´t respond to mails, theft of picturs, scam, they might be interested in taking the matter as a training challenge for their members and make a contest out of it to take them out of the net. Normally the fastest members do such jobs in less than an hour....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What the heck is the benefit they try to get by mirroring GL over their domain? Maybe the answqer is simple but I just don´t get it ....

It is done internationally. Most of the culprits I've found interested in my site are in Turkey. They hope the content will improve their local search engine and directory status, directing people to their domain. It does work. It worked better several years ago. Directories and Search Engines are much better now than they used to be.

What you're suggesting with the hackers is malicious and actionable. (Although sometimes it would sure feel good to pull it off. :twisted: )

I think the company is just interested in increasing their business. If the international companies linking to them threaten to remove their links if they don't address the complaints, I'm betting they will listen.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:20 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Well, I know it´s bad to hurt someone. But is it bad to hurt someone to make him stop hurting others? It´s an old philosophic and religious question how to deal with the evil. Some say so, others so. Everybody has to answer the question for himself by listening to his inner voice.
I didn´t mean to do it that way first hand. I just wanted to show up a last resort method for someone who´s fighting to get his own property back.

I was a bad boay and I ask for punishment :twisted:

Forgive me if I offended someone with my proposal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:29 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I wonder if the Jeweler's Board of Trade would note their file if you copied the JBT on a formal Cease & Desist Demand sent to the plagiarizer?

I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:42 pm 
Valued Contributor

Nikolaus, no offence taken but just couple of thoughts. I'm owner of web hosting company. If someone is violating others rights, i can not shut down client account, unless some authority orders me to do so. This case is very clear for us but unfortunatetly that is not the case for isp.

If you call hackers or defacers to make harm to the website you only punish the ISP. Not only they have to restore the site from their backups, they have to use much effort to track down the whole picture so they can be sure their other customers are OK in shared server environment.

Someone suggested we could punish them with new terminology - Lousy windowed native cuts = s(h)ithy cuts
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:48 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

hope you are able to get to the bottom of this problem and put a stop to it, selous!!

it may be hard to put a halt to it, unfortunately, with it happening on the internet, but, hopefully something can and will be done to stop it.

wow, and GO is mirrored? what does that mean on the mirrored site of GO concerning images, bandwidth, and the gemology project? :?