January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Distance Ed student
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:46 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I am a GIA distance ed student, on stone 50 of 500, feels like I am going very slowly. When it comes to inclusions, sometimes I am spending alot of time online looking for similar features in stones because they are not exactly what appears in any of my GIA references or my own books. It is frustrating because the manual may tell me a stone may have ie: a dolomite or sphene inclusion, and have no idea what these look like, getting frustrated. I have a very nice instructor but hard to contact, always have to email. Any suggestions for me?
Laura

Post subject: Re: Distance Ed student
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:51 pm 

While I don't have any great advice for you as I'm not yet on Gem ID, I can relate to the difficulty in getting a hold of an instructor. Mine responds within 24-48 business hours but sometimes it's hard to put off something in the middle of study time.

I hope someone here will be able to help you with your specific question. :)

Gemologist diploma (GIA)
Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma (GIA)

~Melissa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm 
Established Member

I have found the images of inclusions in the GIA learning materials very unsatisfactory. Click on the "Geminterest" link from this website and look at the photos of inclusions--they're far superior to those from GIA. The site is in French, but it's easy enough to navigate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thank you for directing me to the geminterest.com website, it is fantastic despite the fact that I don't speak a word of French. I wish I knew about this site about 30 stones ago. How great is this?

My thanks, and good luck Melissa. Note this site when you get to Gem ID! 3 kids and GIA study? Go get 'em! =D>
Laura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

LOL, Laura, certainly better NOW than 30 stones later. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:41 am 

http://www.geminterest.com/inclist.php

These images are fascinating. Thanks for the link! Thankfully many of the gem names are close enough I think I can figure them out.

Thanks Laura, I held off writing my kids also have (minor) special needs (ages 2, 7 and 9; ADHD-global motor issues) and I run 3 online shops. Needless to say I'm quickly exhausted. I do my study after my husband gets home and am often up until 2 am. I really wish there was an on-call instructor 24/7 so I didn't have to hold off to get questions answered. I can be so impatient. I am so thankful I have the opportunity to learn about gems on my time though.

Gemologist diploma (GIA)

~Melissa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:29 am 
Established Member

Hi Laura-

I recently completed the GIA GG courses. I feel your pain regarding recognizing all of the different inclusions. Are there any gemologists in your area that you might be able to work with? I found a lot of clarity talking and working with other gemologists and learning how to distinguish one inclusion from another.

I also went down to GIA and did the first two boxes of stones for Gem ID. The instructors were great, showing me how to use the manual and what to look for in the stones. If you've got any chance to go down there I highly recommend it.

The instructor I was assigned to was out of the office a lot, and I had good luck talking with other instructors down at GIA. If you're having to leave lots of messages with yours, try contacting the Distance Education Dept. and asking to speak with any of the instructors who are available at the time. They'll talk you through and try to help.

Good luck!

-Cynthia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:45 pm 

Cynthia, when you went down to Carlsbad was it solely to take your labs to complete your GG or did you just go? If you just went for help did it cost you money for the instructor's one on one time?

Gemologist diploma (GIA)

~Melissa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 pm 
Established Member

I went down to start the Gem ID course. I think I had to pay for lab time each day. I'm not sure right now how much it was, but I do remember thinking that it was kind of expensive. I also remember that I thought it was money well spent after I worked down there with the instructors for 2 days. It really gave me a good springboard for the rest of the Gem ID course.

Also, the instructors were friendly and really helpful. Given that GIA is such a professional environment I was expecting the instructors to be a bit condescending or stuffy, but I found them to be just the opposite - really friendly and clearly interested in figuring out how I could learn.

I wish I had been able to do the gemology courses on-site vs. distance so I could have had the full immersion and benefits of working with instructors every day. But phone calls worked well, too.

-C