January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Thinking about starting classes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi everyone. For the past few years I've been very interested in jewelry, gems and stones. I've recently decided that I'm interested in taking some more formal classes around the topic and found the GIA elearning program. I actually live in NYC, so I can see it being relatively easy to use their lab and complete tests etc. But, my question is, if I want to do this more as a hobby, is it do-able?

Can I start with one class online and see how I like it? While I would love to do this as a career, I actually have a decent career already that I like, this would be for of a 'for fun' side activity. How much time do I need to dedicate to an online course in order to do well? Other than the tuition/books fees, do I need to buy equipment right away?

I was thinking about starting with the Jewelry Essentials 110 class, would that be the right place to begin? Is it really only $150 for the tuition plus lab time fees/books or am I missing something?

Any information or advice for something looking to get started would be appreciated. I've scoured through some of the threads for information but didn't come across anything answering my specific questions.

Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Thinking about starting classes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:15 pm 

Hi Rainberry,
This is one heck of a hobby you have chosen, gemology study can take considerable commitment. With GIA e-learning the level of training you receive is up to you. The essentials classes are very basic and inexpensive; essentials classes have no lab requirements. Once you have taken an essentials class you can decide if you want to go further. I took diamond essentials, then diamonds and diamond grading. Upon completion of diamond grading lab in Carlsbad I had achieved a graduate diamonds diploma. At that point I decided to go all the way and get a graduate gemologist diploma which required me to take colored stone essentials, colored stones, and colored stone grading lab. Now I am in gem identification and scheduled for gem-identification lab. Once complete I will have a GG diploma from GIA, at that point it will be up to me to gain the experience necessary to become a competent and up to date gemologist. I can tell you this; I very much appreciate The GIA, their Carlsbad campus, excellent instructors, and professional attitude. It is a joy to spend time on their campus. I started on my journey wanting to learn diamond grading for an employer, I had no idea that I would love the science of gemology at this level. My experience at GIA has been rewarding and satisfying. I have met a small percentage of people in the lab classes who are there as hobbyists, you will not be alone!
Thanks for asking and good luck on your journey!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 pm 

Hi,
I noticed that my posts were not published. Would you please provide feedback as to why so that I can conform to your standards?
Thanks
-email removed by Admin-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

New members' posts are individually approved by the Moderation Staff before they are posted.
This can take a little time as all our MODs have day jobs. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:06 am 

I encourage you to do the Jewelry Essentials then Diamond and Colored Stone essentials and get your AJP. It's $450 for all 3 classes and you'll have your Accredited Jewelry Professional Diploma from GIA. That's a great start and at least it's some basic accreditation under your belt from GIA. It'll give you an idea if you want to go further too.

I got my AJP and now am in Colored Stones (after completing Diamonds and Diamond Grading). I may not get my GG unless I wish to work in the field. I'm a hobbyist and plan to get my Gemologist diploma instead for the time being. This is all the classes minus the labs. If I lived in NY or Southern Cali I would be much more likely to go for my GG.

Best to you! The online classes are fantastic! No books are required but I chose to buy them anyway.

Gemologist diploma (GIA)
Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma (GIA)

~Melissa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:03 pm 

Thank you both for your replies! I am going to start with the first class online and see how it goes from there! Even if I just end up taking the online classes, I think it'll be worth it.