January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What's The Take On Larimar?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 pm 
Established Member

Hey everyone!!

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the deal was with this new gem called "Larimar"? My mom traveled to the Dominican Republic last year and brought me back this beautiful sky blue ring that's simply beautiful. Other then what I've read online, there's only one mine that produces this gem.

When I went to a gem show a few months ago, there was a husband and wife team who were selling the Larimar rings, pendents, earrings etc. at massive prices and I thought that was rather nuts. Although I hear everyone saying Larimar is much rarer then tanzinite I was wondering if anyone had any input?

Here's one of the links.

http://www.larimarfactory.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:33 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

hey ametrine!!

i saw a couple selling larimar at the se gem and mineral show last august. here's their website, and i am glad to see they will be at this year's show as well. they have beautiful stones and jewelry pieces, and were very friendly folks.

here's their site:

http://www.larimarusa.com

the site also gives a brief history of larimar.

oh yes, just thought i would mention that brad pitt purchased angelina a larimar ring set in sterling silver. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:45 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I like Larimar. The better quality the stone, the higher the price. Some of the really, really nice stuff can be very expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:03 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

I don't think much of it. It's "rare" in the sense that there's not a lot produced (and it comes from a single locality), but also there's not all that much demand. As an investment, I wouldn't consider it. As an attractive stone... meh, I tend to prefer transparent gems.

It's certainly unique, and there ARE definitely people who appreciate it though... just not me. :)

As an aside, every time I've seen the stuff marketed (both in person and on the net) I've seen people hyping it's rarity. My opinion is that they don't think (and I'm inclined to agree) that the stone would sell for the prices they ask simply because it's pretty. I personally wouldn't want to get too deeply involved in a stone that can't stand on it's own merits.

Last edited by gem-n00b on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Larimar - a BEAUTIFUL stone!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:06 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

For me, ‘Larimar’ is a BREATHTAKING phenomenon gemstone. Only the blue can truly be called ‘Larimar’ and is only found in the Dominican Republic. ‘Larimar’ is actually a marketing name for the mineral Pectolite. The green is called Pectolite and is found in the DomRep and other locations such as Italy. I am seeing other colors being included in 'marketing' of this gemstone so don’t be surprised when you see the green also presented as ‘Larimar’ if it’s DomRep in origin.

It's hardness is 5, it's wearability is good although I wouldn’t suggest setting it in a ring. Pendant, Pin, Earrings would be beautiful. It is mostly set free-form or cabbed. If you have a 'perfect' piece, a 'waterfall' of very pale blue/white will appear and disappear as you rotate it.

The name 'Larimar' was given to the stone by one of the men who discovered it in 1974, Miguel Méndez. It is a mix of his daughter's name 'Larissa' and 'Mar', Spanish for Sea. This is the normal spelling for my name so that makes it special to me.

I have several breathtaking pieces given to me by my grandmother who cabbed them many years ago. She passed on her love of ‘rocks’ to me as a toddler. I have treasured these for far longer than about any other ‘gemstone’ I have. This is even another reason I love this gemstone so much.

These are old, beautiful examples of Larimar and pectolite. As the pieces are rotated, the colors appear and fade. One of them actually looks like a waterfall flowing as it turns. Each side-by-side pic is the same stone rotated 180 degrees.

29.47ct Dark Blue Cab - This is a little more teal colored than this picture
In immersion but stone isn't this green

29.88ct Blue Cab with Waterfall

34.74ct Blue Cab – Another Waterfall – this one has surface scratches across the top

34.63ct Blue Cab – This one has very thin surface breaking fissures and almost looks marbled

Pair Blue Cabs

Technically, the green is called by it’s mineral name, ‘Pectolite’. This pair is just the ‘perfect’ color green to me.

Here is one site with more information and pictures of this unusual, phenomononal gemstone:
http://www.larimarmuseum.com/

WARNING - 'Reconstituted' Larimar and Pectolite has hit the market but if you've seen the real thing, they need to improve before being truly believable.

I hope you’ve enjoyed these beauties. Please post pictures of yours too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:08 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Those waterfall pictures are quite nice. I can say, without exception, that none of the "Larimar" that I've ever seen offered to me in person has displayed that phenomenon.

My comments above about the more common variety aside, I can certainly appreciate it as a phenomenal stone, and I hope I get to see the effect in person someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

My son-in-law is from the Dominican Republic (a top notch young man in my book!). His father sent me a rectangular cab of Larimar last year.
I think it is a star among cabbing gems aesthetically speaking.

MJB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:56 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

gem-n00b wrote:
Those waterfall pictures are quite nice. I can say, without exception, that none of the "Larimar" that I've ever seen offered to me in person has displayed that phenomenon.

My comments above about the more common variety aside, I can certainly appreciate it as a phenomenal stone, and I hope I get to see the effect in person someday.

Karim,
This waterfall was one of the first things that caused people to notice this 'stone' but I don't know that much of the rough found today gives this effect as strongly. These were from some of the VERY early rough, actually purchased in DomRep in late 1975/early 1976 when another 'rockhound' friend visited there. I truly hope everyone has a chance to see the effect in person - it's very unique.

Hummm.....my new camera takes short videos also....wonder if I could capture the full rotation???? Off I go to see...... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:59 pm 
Established Member

gingerkid wrote:
hey ametrine!!

i saw a couple selling larimar at the se gem and mineral show last august. here's their website, and i am glad to see they will be at this year's show as well. they have beautiful stones and jewelry pieces, and were very friendly folks.

here's their site:

the site also gives a brief history of larimar.

oh yes, just thought i would mention that brad pitt purchased angelina a larimar ring set in sterling silver. :wink:

Thx gingerkid. The stone (if I should call it that) is very pretty. Although they laughed at people when Tanzanite first became available then suddenly it ran out I find it non-appealing to me. On the other hand I love the Larimar because of its beauty. I have the volcanic blue and will post it once I get a little free time. And yes, I've checked out:

You are appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

squeaky wrote:
This waterfall was one of the first things that caused people to notice this 'stone' but I don't know that much of the rough found today gives this effect as strongly.

I begin to understand the issue a little better. :) If I found a deposit that had this sort of effect *I'd* be pretty excited too! Just like a simple photograph may fail to show the wonderous beauty of many opals, it seems like Larimar may be suffering from a similar situation... that and there may also be "newer" rough/cabs that aren't up to par with the original find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:05 pm 
Established Member

There was a young lady at the gem show with a Larimar and Blue Amber pendant (sp) also. Just getting bored with the diamonds, ametrine, onyx, opal, tourmaline, Columbian emeralds and Ajax turquoise. Just happy my mom purchased the Larimar for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:39 am 
Established Member

I bought a larimar stone recently, I like to see new (to me) stones. I had it set in yellow gold with two small rubies from an old brooch that had belonged
to my grandmother and I was very pleased with the result.

Post subject: Re: What's The Take On Larimar?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 pm 
Gold Member

Ametrine wrote:
Hey everyone!!

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the deal was with this new gem called "Larimar"? My mom traveled to the Dominican Republic last year and brought me back this beautiful sky blue ring that's simply beautiful. Other then what I've read online, there's only one mine that produces this gem.

It is nice material, and only comes from the Dominican Republic. There is more than one mine, but they're mostly in the same locality, as I understand it. The first findings were on the beaches.

This is a good opportunity to mention one of my favorite people that I've never met. :-) Hans Meevis lives in the DR, uses a lot of larimar, and is a wonderful jeweler. Best of all, he enjoys sharing his techniques. Check out his web page and tutorials at http://www.meevis.com .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:12 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks squeaky, I've never seen it look like that.. it's usually shown as some sort of off blue white, reminiscent of a fossilized robin's egg chunk that i've never looked twice at. This stuff is really beautiful.

Post subject: Re: What's The Take On Larimar?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 am 
Valued Contributor

The photos posted here by squeaky are NOT the variety of pectolite called larimar!

They are most likely a manmade and even rarer material called Victoria Stone.

The blue is too blue, by an order of magnitude; the green is obviously wrong, the degree of chatoyancy is wrong, and the pattern is wrong.

Joia's stone is real larimar.

I don't consider myself an expert on the topic, but I have viewed an entire dealers booth of larimar at the SC gem shows summer before last, and have done a bit of looking into Victoria Stone. I'm currently cabbing a piece of the latter, while a couple of lovely pieces of the former are sitting on my workbench taunting me.

(Apologies for recusitating such a long dead thread, but I had to correct this.)