Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: unique sapphire
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am 
Established Member

hy,
i have a blue sapphire ,it is 35 carat,it is not cut or polished ,it is in its original rough shape,one strange thing it is totally in round shape like a ball,it was in quartz or in something like quartz stone ,my first question is ,is it possible to be naturally in round shape like ball,can quartz scratch it ,it is deep blue and light can pass through it,not translucent,please answer my question i am keenly waiting for answer,plz dont tell me to ask a local gemologist,just ask my questions,give me your opinion it may not be the correct answer.but do answer, i will be very thankful. thanks

Post subject: Re: unique saphire
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

Greetings,

I am no expert but I do know that quartz will not scratch saphire. You should review the mohs hardness scale for that. Saphire also has a hexagon crystal structure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 pm 
Established Member

thanks for reply,but i have heard from an expert,that the force which u apply for making scratch also counts,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

The expert is either misinformed or perhaps you misunderstood what he said.
Mineralogical Society of America wrote:
When doing hardness tests on minerals it is necessary to determine which mineral was scratched. The powder can be rubbed or blown off and surface scratches can usually be felt by running the fingernail over the surface. One can also get a relative feel for the hardness difference between two minerals. For instance quartz will be able to scratch calcite with much greater ease than you can scratch calcite with fluorite. One must also use enough force to create the scratch (if you don't use enough force even diamond will not be able to scratch quartz - this is an area where practice is important). You also have to be careful to test the material that you think you are testing and not some small inclusion in the sample.

Post subject: unique saphire picyure
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:32 pm 
Established Member

this gem is naturally in round form like ball,does a gem exist in such form and color,please reply me i will be very thankful,thanks

Attachments:
Photo0192.jpg
Photo0192.jpg [ 63.86 KiB | Viewed 1779 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

That sphere did not occur naturally.
Sorry .....

Post subject: Re: unique sapphire
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:02 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Could be an ancient fortune telling sphere, a bit like a crystal skull!
Did you dig it up?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

I believe we're getting off topic, but I suspect this blue sphere above may be as fake as the crystal skull in the British Museum:
Cardiff University and World Science staff wrote:
The Brit­ish Mu­se­um bought its skull, a life-size carv­ing from a sin­gle block of rock crys­tal, from Tif­fa­ny and Co., New York, in 1897. Its ori­gins were un­known but there were sug­ges­tions it was of an­cient Mex­i­can or­i­gin.

Hu­man skulls worn as or­na­ments and dis­played on racks were known to have fea­tured in Az­tec art. The skull at­tracted much pub­lic at­ten­tion and specula­t­ion and was once thought to have heal­ing pow­ers.

Crys­tal skulls have since fea­tured in many books, ar­ti­cles and films, most re­cently in the new Ste­ven Spiel­berg mov­ie In­di­ana Jones and the King­dom of the Crys­tal Skull.

How­ev­er, there have been doubts about the au­then­ticity of the skull since the 1930s. Now an in­terna­t­ional re­search team has scru­tin­ized the Brit­ish Mu­se­um skull and a larg­er white quartz skull do­nat­ed to the Smith­so­nian in 1992.

Elec­tron mi­cro­scope anal­y­sis for tool marks found both skulls were carved with ro­ta­ry disc-shaped tool, a tech­nol­o­gy the an­cient Mex­i­cans didn’t have. Anal­y­sis of the quartz in the Brit­ish Mu­se­um skull sug­gests it was quar­ried from Bra­zil or Mad­a­gas­car – far out­side the An­cient Mex­i­cans’ trad­ing links.

The team, made up of ex­perts from Car­diff and King­ston uni­ver­s­ities in the U.K., the Brit­ish Mu­se­um and the Smith­so­nian, con­clud­ed that nei­ther skull could have been made in Mex­i­co be­fore the time of Co­lum­bus. They be­lieve the Brit­ish skull was cre­at­ed in Eu­rope in the 19th cen­tu­ry, and the Smith­so­nian’s shortly be­fore it was bought in Mex­i­co City in 1960.

“It is al­ways dis­ap­point­ing when an in­tri­guing ar­te­fact like a crys­tal skull turns out not to be gen­uine,” said Car­diff Uni­ver­s­ity’s Ian Free­stone, a mem­ber of the re­search team. “How­ev­er, it is im­por­tant to be pre­cise about what is au­then­tic and what is fake if we are prop­erly to un­der­stand our past. May­be In­di­ana Jones will have bet­ter luck in his hunt for a real crys­tal skul­l!”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:28 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Dear mehboob. I guess from your name that you belong to my country Pakistan and if now you are in Pakistan then I will test your unique stone free of cost.

From your post picture I guess that this is glass sphere. which are used children for marble games and in childhood that was my favorite game. :D :D

Anyhow come to Gems and Gemological Institute of Pakistan (GGIP)-Peshawar, timing is from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday.

with best regards

HUK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

How kind of you!
I hope he is able to see you.

Post subject: unique sapphire
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 pm 
Established Member

thanks for comments and views,this stone belongs to my friend ,dear usman i think u havent read earlier posts,i have discussed origin of the sapphire,my friend got it from swat district ,it was in a quartz stone ,the quartz stone was large enough to move from place to place,so he decided to cut a piece of it to make it easily movable,when he hit the stone with hammer ,the sapphire came out of it,i myself not considering it neelam sapphire by two reason,one because it is round and second because it has been scratched by quartz,i thought it may be some new stone discovered,the gemology society may better know it,because i do not know all stone,i have hired this stone for research purpose.thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

I am sorry mehboob, I can not allow misinformation to go unchallenged.
This sphere did not occur naturally in quartz....or anything else.

You have been offered an identification, free of charge, through Gems and Gemological Institute of Pakistan.

Please take advantage of the offer and report back on it's identification.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:52 pm 
Valued Contributor

One more thing- geochemistry generally does not allow sapphire and quartz to co-exist in the same host rock. That's because under conditions otherwise favorable for the formation of corundum, when quartz is present the main ingredient in sapphire is converted to one of the common aluminum silicates, such as andalusite, sillimanite or kyanite. The reaction continues until there is no more quartz or aluminum oxide left to react. That sort of rules out the idea tha the "sapphire" could have been found imbedded in quartz.

Dick Davies

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:55 am 
Valued Contributor

A rather entertaining story, nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Admin

I do not find this kind of desinformative stories amusing at all as they are only proof that lying to fool gemmologically uneducated prospective buyers is never gonna end. It does not surprise me but nevertheless pisses me off.