January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 3D printers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Of all the things, download the design modify it to my liking and print! Really!
Just started reading about the process apparently in a variety of materials, from paper to Titanium. So if I can run a computer I can design or modify a design and print the jewelry components.
So much for the mold and casting process? Or is this just the new mold and cast process? Where does this apply to the industry? If I ask the replicator for a cappuccino and a diamond will it produce? Buck Rogers had it right.
I'm off to the bat cave for more research. This sounds like a really handy tool I just need to find its limitations for jewelry. Let me know if you have seen one at work!

Post subject: Re: 3D printers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:11 am 
Gold Member

There has been a long discussion of this on the Orchid list. If you are interested in the jewelry side of things, it's a great source of information.
http://www.ganoksin.com/join.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:39 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

If I understand the process it's layering of powdered material that is heated and fused layer upon layer into the desired shape. So if one were to use gold powder you could print the 3d design from the computer. Higher the resolution better the quality the more intricate the design possible. Crowns and settings could be re invented. Possibilities seem remarkably endless!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:44 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Jumped on the orchid list to read what they had on 3d printers. Actually quite the thought process on how it will affect the various parts of jewelry making. Model making in particular, I agree though its probably not a answer for a small shop at this point. What I can do with my hands and a few tools would take me an hr would take 10 hrs on a computer. I just can't translate what's in my head to a keyboard efficiently. But I can see the future is coming and unless you can market your product as authentically hand made and fill a niche you won't compete. You may not anyway so we can remain artisans and hobbiests and expect a wage accordingly. (Fishing is still a more expensive hobby). :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/DigitalWax-028J--Jewelry-Making-Rapid-Prototype-Machine/700987?Pos=5

Rio Grande has a lot of jewelry making equipment. This machine will 3D print your design in wax so you can use it in a casting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:08 pm 
Gold Member

We have one of these: http://b9creator.com/ Just under $4000 in kit form. This thing is really amazing in that it will make models with details that are of such high resolution that they would be difficult to cast, (meaning that the surface quality of most castings is rougher than the details that this can create). I don't have any pictures, but there are a number on the forum section of the builders website. The only downside to this is that it does take a bit of messing around to get it to run just right

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:00 pm 
Gold Member

I noticed today that Sam's Club is selling a 3D printer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:42 pm 

Does sam's club have one that can use titanium, and the raw material for the tanks yet? I think more research as to who would break out from various plastics would need to be in place :D .

Personally, I think I am allergic to all glues, patinas, copper in general, all epoxies, most plastics, yarn, and any material found in a fabric craft store. [-X

Just kidding

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:23 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

for those interested in using a 3d printer now for making jewelry they are great for making your model to make your wax casting mold with as far as printing with gold the printer that would do that will cost you more than you will spend on gold in your lifetime.
I personally have and use a 3d printer for making my jewelry models when I want to make a wax mold and it works nice and you can change the design if needed for a larger or smaller stone.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:34 pm 
Gold Member

The technology has moved on, Not long ago you could not get the surface finish out of them.

I would think that you wold probably need to do high end custom work to make it pay off. After getting the design done in 3d modeling, you wold spend a few hours waiting for it to run. For run of the mill work, You can crank out a copy of the wax from a mold in seconds, or buy the cast piece from Rio Grande.

that said, it would be a nice toy to have.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:49 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

wilsonintexas wrote:
The technology has moved on, Not long ago you could not get the surface finish out of them.

I would think that you wold probably need to do high end custom work to make it pay off. After getting the design done in 3d modeling, you wold spend a few hours waiting for it to run. For run of the mill work, You can crank out a copy of the wax from a mold in seconds, or buy the cast piece from Rio Grande.

that said, it would be a nice toy to have.

If you want one they are easy to build ... I use mine to design the pieces just the same as I do with wax except I only use it for the ones that I want to make a mold for, once I have the piece printed I then clean it up and make my molds , after that I can make a copy in wax.

And my 3d printer only cost $350.00 to build. so you see they can pay off rather quick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:49 pm 
Established Member

This was a brilliant read, guys! and thanks for the links