January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: hydrophane?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:56 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

:oops: in another post on the forum, there was a discussion of hydrophane opals. (and i found out that mexican fire opal is hydrophane) anyway, i can find limited resources on exactly what hydrophane means, especially when it comes to opal.

what exactly is "hydrophane?"

which opals other than some australian? and mexican fire opal are hydrophane?

are there any gemstones other than opal which may be hydrophane?

greatly appreciate any answers in explaining this to me! thanks!!
jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:35 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Jan.
From Robert Websters book Gems
Hydrohane is a curious type of light coloured but opaque opal that becames
transparent and exhibit iridescence when soaked in water
You often find them in bottles of Mexican opals in water
Can not think of any other gem stone that could be described as hydrophane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:44 am 
Valued Contributor

In the name hydrophane, "hydro" means water, and "phane" means transparent. Hydrophane is a form of opal, and only opal. Hydrohane may have a play of color- or not. Some Mexican opal is hydrophane. Some Ethiopian opal is hydrophane. Common opal is quite widespread on our planet, so hydrophane, too, probably may be found in localities other than the major opal gem fields.

BTW, the term "fire opal" refers to the fiery orange to red varieties of opal, whether they have a play of color or not. I don't know if any of the colored Mexican opals are also hydrophanes.

DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 am 

8) thanks for your explanations, dave and richard!! we recently discussed on the forum mexican fire opal. brucetourm was discussing hydrophane opals.

i purchased an orange mexican fire opal from my mother and had it wrapped in a damp cloth in a ziplock baggie and bear, lol, asked if i were going to give it to my mother like that, lol, and advised to take it out of the ziplock bag wrapped in a damp cloth because it was hydrophane and that the dampness may affect the stone's color/appearance.

now, i'm wondering if the "contra luz" (with the "play of color," usually clear) mexican fire opal are considered hydrophane... :wink:

thanks, again!
jan

edit: to add info:
i found this:
"Hydrophane opals-The precious variety have the ability to absorb water and become transparent. After releasing water they become opaque again. This process can take place within a few minutes of immersing the stone in water or reversing it by removing it from water. This phenomena can take place without damage to the stone and has very little affect on color flash. These opals are some of the most interesting and intriguing. Most of these precious variety of hydrophane opals come from Virgin Valley, Nevada.
Sometimes "Hydrophane" refers to opals that are dual until wet with water. These dual hydrophane opals are not considered precious and are usually found in Australia. "
from http://www.gemstoneworld.com/opals.asp

and on dyeing:
"Because hydrophane opals are porous it is possible to dye them to enhance the play of colour and make them appear like black opal. The dying process works by filling the pores with carbon.
This results in the excess of scattered white light being absorbed by the carbon and in turn results in colours resembling good quality black opal.
This procedure has been used with hydrophane matrix opal from Andamooka in South Australia, which contains kaolinite clay. This clay scatters white light and diminishes play of colour."
http://www.queen-of-gems.com/about/hydrophane-opal.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Read the responses again Ginger; I believe your question about Mexican opals was answered.
Hydrophane is an "opaque" opal which becomes transparent when soaked in water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am 

:oops: you're right, ms. barbra!! thanks for pointing it out to me!! :wink: the contra luz is not hydrophane. they are beautiful stones.

saw some awesome pictures at palagems of the inclusions in contra luz fire opal 8) a while back.