January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Rumor has it? Garnet volcano in Arizona?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:51 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Rumor has it there is a garnet bearing dead volcano in Arizona bordering Nevada, they say the boulders that have fallen in the river show large deposits. Has anyone been there? What's the quality of the rough? Do you have a location? Directions.

this would be a fun stop on the way to the AZ show this year, any info would be great! 8)

Post subject: Re: Rumor has it? Garnet volcano in Arizona?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:25 pm 

As far as I know, this is referring to the Navajo volcanic fields in the Four Corners area. The only interesting stuff here is some included peridot and some pitch-black pyrope garnet that ants carry out of their anthills.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:35 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I've been to that volcano...there are garnets galore studding the lava flows...you need a heat shield and a long rod of some type of heat resistant metal to pluck the stones from the cooling lava...be quick or they are hard to get out.
they are worth over 100 dollars a carat in the rough and the average size is at least 40 carats...going back tomorrow with a better heat shield.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:41 am 

stairman wrote:
I've been to that volcano...there are garnets galore studding the lava flows...you need a heat shield and a long rod of some type of heat resistant metal to pluck the stones from the cooling lava...be quick or they are hard to get out...going back tomorrow with a better heat shield.

wat

Last edited by Faceting 101 by Arya on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:33 am 

@Arya: Sorry to ask an obvious/dumb question, but you don't mean "Anthill Garnets", do you?
http://gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8837
They're a relatively famous chromium-rich pyrope, apparently considered a big deal in some circles. They're kinda dark but not black, and when cut in smaller sizes show a very rich red hue and sell for a variable premium. I've seen some in person (and on JTV :roll: )--while they are beautiful, my socks remained mostly un-knocked-off. But they do have a neat story behind them and a special trade name.
(I've kinda wondered about them--Cr-rich pyrope is an indicator mineral for Kimberlites, after all...)
That all said, I don't think that they really match what GM is talking about.

stairman wrote:
I've been to that volcano...there are garnets galore studding the lava flows...you need a heat shield and a long rod of some type of heat resistant metal to pluck the stones from the cooling lava...be quick or they are hard to get out.
they are worth over 100 dollars a carat in the rough and the average size is at least 40 carats...going back tomorrow with a better heat shield.

Heh, you'd need Herodotus's giant gold-digging ants to build a hill out of those...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 am 
Valued Contributor

stairman wrote:

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:55 pm 

stairman wrote:

:smt105

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:31 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Humor at my expense 8) no worries, but i am not talking about the 4 corners fields. its a lone small dead volcano next to the Colorado river. and is garnet bearing, there also have been found in the area small pockets of tourmaline and beryl no bigger than pencils. its a very interesting local i would like to investigate. I did track down some lore and found out by a rafting guide that it is only accessible by the river as there are no roads or by helicopter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:59 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

You just hang in there Gary, and remember;
"nil bastardum carborundum", don't let the bastards wear you down!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Qld Barry wrote:
You just hang in there Gary, and remember;
"nil bastardum carborundum", don't let the bastards wear you down!!

Thanks Barry, Adventure is not for the week :mrgreen: besides, you never know what you might find untill you look! Cheers mate!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 am 
Gold Member

Quote:
Adventure is not for the week

Well, maybe not this week, but I'm free next week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:06 pm 
Established Member

were you able to find this place?

G_Madison wrote:
Humor at my expense 8) no worries, but i am not talking about the 4 corners fields. its a lone small dead volcano next to the Colorado river. and is garnet bearing, there also have been found in the area small pockets of tourmaline and beryl no bigger than pencils. its a very interesting local i would like to investigate. I did track down some lore and found out by a rafting guide that it is only accessible by the river as there are no roads or by helicopter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:10 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

yes, and i found out more lore about it. I it an ancient volcano that would block the Colorado river and caused flooding in to Arizona making it a wetlands environment. when the water was finally able to break thru again it would cause massive floods down stream carving the canyon even deeper, this has happened millions of times over the life of this planet in this one spot here in earth. When there were wetlands they think that's when the small pegmatite's formed from pools around the volcano that reached the magma thru small pipes. It is a bazar place to say the least, i still have yet to get there as i have a limited budget and cannot afford the helicopter, and its to cold not to hire a guide for a rafting adventure to it. there is no road to it but you can get there by land by buggy or a dirt bike. I might try one of the later later this year if time and funds permit. I plan on at least a week on site so that a minimum of 5 gals water and food for 5 days, double the water if its summer time plus camping gear and pick's ect. its a lot of gear for a weeks time. ohh and gas to for what ever way i decide to get there, if you want even more info, there is a discovery channel special about it, its a quick reference to where and why it's unique but its better than nothing. it is a grand canyon special.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:01 pm 
Established Member

How far is it in? You could probably hike in and camp. Do you have an email I may contact you at?

G_Madison wrote:
yes, and i found out more lore about it. I it an ancient volcano that would block the Colorado river and caused flooding in to Arizona making it a wetlands environment. when the water was finally able to break thru again it would cause massive floods down stream carving the canyon even deeper, this has happened millions of times over the life of this planet in this one spot here in earth. When there were wetlands they think that's when the small pegmatite's formed from pools around the volcano that reached the magma thru small pipes. It is a bazar place to say the least, i still have yet to get there as i have a limited budget and cannot afford the helicopter, and its to cold not to hire a guide for a rafting adventure to it. there is no road to it but you can get there by land by buggy or a dirt bike. I might try one of the later later this year if time and funds permit. I plan on at least a week on site so that a minimum of 5 gals water and food for 5 days, double the water if its summer time plus camping gear and pick's ect. its a lot of gear for a weeks time. ohh and gas to for what ever way i decide to get there, if you want even more info, there is a discovery channel special about it, its a quick reference to where and why it's unique but its better than nothing. it is a grand canyon special.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:41 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

PM'd you blue, please check your member emails. :D