January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pros and cons of amethyst?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:30 pm 

Hi everyone. I have been looking for a really nice purple stone and some of the amethysts I have seen are beautiful. However, I hear a lot of negative things about this stone because it is in abundance. But, even though it is common I still think that the color is nice. So, I know to look for non-treated material that is clean. Is there something really undesirable about this stone that I don't know, for example hardness?
Thanks,
-Steph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steph
Amethyst is durable and holds up nobly in jewelry.
Sadly, much of the amethyst available for sale in today's market is synthetically produced.
One must look for Brazil twinning or inclusions that prove it natural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:19 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

High quality Amethyst is not all that common. No negatives that I know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Nicky is right.

Did you know that before extensive deposits of amethyst were found in Brazil it was extremely rare and desireable, and commanded precious prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:40 pm 
Platinum Member

Purple scapolite is another pretty purple stone, not too common and it has a bit more sparkle than amethyst. Very similar color.
Here's a few pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:26 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

Purple spinel can be another good bet. As long as it's not synthetic, there are no treatments, so you are getting a true natural stone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:59 am 
Valued Contributor

I was going to say purple spinel, can be hard to find a really good color though. Purple Sapphire will hold its value better than most purple gems IMO, and it is about as durable as it gets.
This sold for $309, pretty good price.

This one (sold) probably went very high.

Also some color change sapphires have a purple color. So do a lot of alexandrite but we are getting up there in price, especially for anywhere near the size of the average amethyst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:57 am 
Platinum Member

No negatives. Many have never seen top quality Amethyst, 'common' as is.

Amethyst defines purple in gems in the same way ruby defines red and emerald defines green: i.e. everyone considers the particular gem as the best sample of the particular color, and for good reason. If sapphire, spinel or tourmaline do get some shades of purple, the color of the best of each breed would be called 'amethyst purple' :o So you might as well go for the color and get a fine amethyst first and try to match it with something pricier per carat later, if you are so inclined.

For fun, some purple wannabees online: a sapphire pair, one small unheated, one large purple sapphireand a large purple star... a larger, lighter spineland a pair, and one purple tourmaline. Perhaps there are better examples of purple spinel, and you could also find Tanzanite with a nice, intense purple. If I think twice, perhaps Tanzanite would be the only contender for the sheer depth and intensity of purple I'd be considering if for some reason Amethyst wasn't 'good enough' - 'too common' or something. It helps that those stones also come in rather large size. Purple is not the preferred color for tanzanite (blue is, of course) and it is not often without a strong blue tinge. Right now, I do not know where to find an example :? Maybe THIS?

Also, if anyone is telling you amethyst is not good enough, you can always mention something like THIS. :twisted:

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by valeria102 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:41 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

Pala had a couple of Siberian colored Mozambique Tourmalines. I can't find them now so I wonder if they were bought. At any rate, hereis a fine Amethyst purple one.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:20 am 
Platinum Member

Forgot about this:

9 carat purple sapphire rough from Lembeck Gems.

And there is a color change round with a persuasive violet instance where that one comes from.

Do you like cabs? I do. Desperately! Here's a large one in untreated purple sapphire:

However, all these face the competition of the original purple gem8). Love the cut of that one!

If you wonder why all the posting about amethyst... well, it is the color, and then, I needed a good pretext to post THIS: 8)

Last edited by valeria102 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Amethyst Georgia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:19 am 

When going for a fairly common stone such as Amethyst, try to go for something "unique" which differentiates itself from the mass. Quality, a good story etc etc... depending on your budget.

Unique 1) It could be a uniquely cut stone, by a well known gem cutter (to name a few: Arthur Anderson (back in business), Larry Woods, Larry Winn, Sherris Shank (carvings), a new upcoming talent such as Chu-Alice Chan (Intaglios) etc etc). There are so many, especially in the USA and in Idar Oberstein (Germany). So what you do is combine a common stone (relative low materials cost) with art and skills. Go for the best your money can get you. It's collectable, it will retain its value.

For a few examples, here are some Amethysts (Disclosure: it's our own site, but we do not sell.. so just contact the artist directly should you be interested).

Unique 2) Or.. you can go for the best possible Amethyst. THAT will always be in demand, retain its value, either for use in jewelry or because of collectors.

It so happens that one of the world's best quality amethysts (no exaggeration) was discovered in 2005 in what's called Jackson Cross Roads Georgia (a few hours away from Atlanta). After the finds in early 2005, much more was mined in October 2006 and this year, of which some material has now been cut.

Not only is it a cool story (there are several articles published in Rock and Mineral and I think Gems&Gemology and Mineralogical Record) but... some of the Amethyst -- just like the Ural Amethyst, show both red and blue flashes when you move the stone, depending how the material is cut. Really nice.. Furthermore the color is really deep and clear. The only other material that has these properties (in significant quantities) were from the old, now long defunct mines in the Ural Mountains, Russia.

This may be a nice compromise between paying a decent price, and still obtaining a unique gem. Since we're dealing with a recent find, the guys who mine the material, now bought the whole claim. They have had fluctuating results. Still, the material is quite abundant right now and therefore now is the time to get it since prices are still quite reasonable.
If I am not mistaken, you can get cut stones for 20-40 $ per carat for the good material. (Not ALL Amethyst show the red and/or blue flashes).

You do not know when the source dries up, and when it does, my feeling is that the good material will spike.. (bold statement perhaps but pretty obvious: top quality, high aesthetics and top locality.. all desirable elements.. and very different from the tons of garbage found elsewhere). Most high end collectors I know and quite a few museums have already bought a piece (or cut stone).

Compare it with two famous, and desirable minerals (aesthetics, quality (best in the world) and US location: same parameters as this Amethyst) which prices skyrocketed (5 x at times or more, in 2 years) after the mines were closed: Rhodochrosite of the Sweet Home Mine, and Wulfenite of the Red Cloud Mine.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

:smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089

I wish I could afford all those stones. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 pm 
Platinum Member

Err... crossover from anther thread:'Fresh Off the Dop'! :shock:

And if one still wants sapphire for some reason, a small pinkish purple w/o treatment might just do. The color seems out of the classic Amethyst range, but...

And there is a straight purple brother of nearly the same size HERE. Next to purple Tanzanite (that does no pretend to be blue! :twisted: ).

Certainly, these things need to be seen. And none detract from amethyst - just wanted to lay out a search agenda for all things gem and purple. 8) (ok, nearly: scapolite, iolite and pearls were left out ... because.... not sure why! :? ) And purple diamondsare beyond the point, I would imagine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:29 pm 
Gold Member

Colorade Gems have many fine Amethyst, from all over the world.

http://www.coloradogem.com/index.php?di ... _Gemstones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:57 pm 
Platinum Member

Good one!

Now, is there any 'negative' at all anywhere on this thread :?:

Can't see any even with all options considered. Thre ight be moe amthys around then other fine color, but this just makes it's more fabulous uses:shock: good proof of how rare other options really are!

Last edited by valeria102 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.