January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Where to find rough vendors?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:35 am 

Hey all,

So, when I went to Tucson two years ago, I didn't register as a buyer for anything, and basically just walked around the areas near Riverpark/Pueblo/whatever-the-hell-it's-called-now. Somehow, even though I wasn't a registered buyer, I still bought some decent rough.

Last year, I was lucky enough to have Lisa guiding me around. Registered as a guest under her name, went to Riverpark/Pueblo and the AGTA show, found even more rough. Wonderful stuff!

For this year, though, where are some other places to find good rough? I want to get a better feel for where stuff is in Tucson. (Preferably, places that are accessible without any kind of registration...)

What about synthetic stuff? I always see pictures of giant buckets of synthetics, but I've never managed to find in person where those are. I've got quite a few synthetics on my shopping list, and I have no idea where on earth I'd find them.

Speaking of shopping list...I've got quite the large/expensive one compared to previous years. I want to cut one stone in each of my designs - I have a lot of the material already, but there are 15 designs I have for which I don't own the appropriate material to cut them in (9 of which I really want to do, 6 of which I don't find quite as interesting). Is there anyone I can bribe with chocolates to help me track some of this stuff down?

Post subject: Re: Where to find rough vendors?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:14 am 
Gold Member

Arya Akhavan wrote:
So, when I went to Tucson two years ago, I didn't register as a buyer for anything, and basically just walked around the areas near Riverpark/Pueblo/whatever-the-hell-it's-called-now. Somehow, even though I wasn't a registered buyer, I still bought some decent rough.

Last year, I was lucky enough to have Lisa guiding me around. Registered as a guest under her name, went to Riverpark/Pueblo and the AGTA show, found even more rough. Wonderful stuff!

For this year, though, where are some other places to find good rough? I want to get a better feel for where stuff is in Tucson. (Preferably, places that are accessible without any kind of registration...)

What about synthetic stuff? I always see pictures of giant buckets of synthetics, but I've never managed to find in person where those are. I've got quite a few synthetics on my shopping list, and I have no idea where on earth I'd find them.

Speaking of shopping list...I've got quite the large/expensive one compared to previous years. I want to cut one stone in each of my designs - I have a lot of the material already, but there are 15 designs I have for which I don't own the appropriate material to cut them in (9 of which I really want to do, 6 of which I don't find quite as interesting). Is there anyone I can bribe with chocolates to help me track some of this stuff down?
Arya, generally speaking - for you, not having developed credentials, best options are working the area along the west side of the I-10 strip starting at Congress on the north, and working each show to the south ending near 22nd street. At 22nd street on the east side of the freeway, there is a relatively new show with several rough dealers.

In addition, there are these:
1- the Gem and Lapidary wholesalers show at Holiday Holidome on the south end of town also next to the I-10 freeway.

2- Electric Park / Kino Sports facility has rough vendors as well as most of the guys handing tools

3- Hotel Tucson City Center, formerly the Inn-Suites is on Granada just north of the downtown about a mile. Here you will find a hodge-podge of various types of vendors including the folks who make the Inland Sintered laps. I've found numerous bargains here.

I'm sure other faceters have found numerous other options that they may, or may not want to share.

http://emol.org/tucson/gemshow/
http://www.xpopress.com/AZ-show-schedule.html

I hope you find this helpful

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:27 pm 

Thanks a lot Roger! Much appreciated, and I probably won't have legit credentials for the next 20 years :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:48 pm 
Gold Member

Arya Akhavan wrote:
Thanks a lot Roger! Much appreciated, and I probably won't have legit credentials for the next 20 years :mrgreen:
Well, just one peek at your avatar, I can see how there may be 'issues'. :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 pm 
Gold Member

Since we're talking suggestions on how to "work Tucson", may want to consider putting out a call on this very forum for one or two others interested in working the show together. You would then become a buying power of 3, this can work in your favor.

That being said, it is best to work out an arrangement before you start, such as having a system in place so that no one has an advantage. Think of it as drawing straws to see who has first dibs. Then, follow the same rotation throughout the buying cycle - ends up being pretty fair for everyone.

Just a thought....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:24 pm 

Roger, I'm probably just inexperienced, but how exactly would a group help when buying rough? I'm completely lost on this idea (hehe you can really tell how much of a noob I am here :oops: ).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm 
Gold Member

Arya Akhavan wrote:
Roger, I'm probably just inexperienced, but how exactly would a group help when buying rough? I'm completely lost on this idea (hehe you can really tell how much of a noob I am here :oops: ).
see pm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:34 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Looking for rough dealers? For quartz rough (citrine, amethyst, light ametrine ) can be found at the Clarion (aka La Quinta) show in the north side parking lot.