January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Treasure!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:54 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Prospecting is really a hunt for treasure. One which I love and attempt often. However my friends seem to have differing opinions on both terms. One believes that treasure is the stuff he finds discarded or lost along the roadside. The other believes prospecting is something his wife does at the rummage sales. I'm not sure either are wrong. However they want to skew the language is up to them I guess. So I get some pretty strange reports when my buds talk of prospecting and treasure, and they scoff at my finds of pebbles and dust. Still we all have some interesting finds to brag about. Personally, I'm ready for some legitimate scout and dig prospecting. I am sooo tired of winter. And it's snowing again today. :smt014

Post subject: Re: Treasure!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:37 pm 
Gold Member

I share your definition of prospecting Dan but to my wife, it's more like the rummage sale thing :)

Interestingly, it sounds to me like we both prospect at the same time of year - the heat is just starting to fade here now and prospecting season is starting while you have to wait for the temperature to rise so you can make a start.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:38 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Prime example, my friend called me up for a visit. Starts telling me a story of his latest road treasure. 2 sleeping bags rolled out of a pickup as it sped onto the hyway while he sat at the gas pump. Brand new in the plastic. Road Treasure! Arguably more useful than the sapphires I found on my last prospecting run. But not rare or beautiful. I think we need to adhere to the definition treasure a little more closely. Perhaps I need to call mine buried treasure and mineral prospecting?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:57 pm 
Gold Member

I wonder if the actual owner of those sleeping bags came back to his last stop looking for them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:03 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Well perhaps, but my ever conscientious friend picked them up, left contact info with the station manager. Never gat a call. He is a regional director of some food company and oversees several plant operations. Usually gives the good stuff away to charities, and youth groups. Like any prospector he looks in likely areas for treasure and sometimes gets lucky. It's the thrill of the hunt and bragging rights over the best find.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:06 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I believe it is truely a treasure to claim your 15 minutes of fame. He will treasure that for the rest of his life whether people call him an idiot or whatever. He found his claim to fame. Cant knock him for that.
And just what treasure have we laid claim to? A pretty pebble? A special grandchild? A game winning play? Defining treasure becomes more of a perspective than a tangible item. Mine? Well for me that thing I wish I could find is TIME. The jewels and gold are beautiful but the treasure is the time to find them, the time to admire them, the time to share them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:59 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Speaking of time, I know the city traffic is a hassle, and that drive to work, urrgh! Since leaving the big cities behind, Sacramento, Houston, DC. I still end up with delays! A week ago I was stuck behind a skunk (the wrong place to be) as she waddled down the road in front of my truck with 5 little stinkers behind her. Then the next morning the weather must have been perfect for Birds to take family strolls, pheasants, ducks, grouse, everybody was on the road! An hour into my daily route today I was shut down, pulled over for 20minutes as the cattle drive took over the road on its way to the new pasture. Try explaining these delays to your boss! They were nice quiet moments in an otherwise ugly day, and I loved every one of them. Even the skunks, baby skunks are sooo cute.