Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Valuation of Blue Sapphire and Colour Change Sapphire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:48 pm 
Valued Contributor

Out of curiousity, I’d like clarification for the following:
1. Does a 3.5 ct unheated violet blue sapphire cost more than a 3.5 ct unheated violet blue to purple colour change sapphire if everything else is comparable or equal?
2. If the change is weak, then is the stone then just considered a 3.5 ct unheated violet blue sapphire that does NOT hold its colour?
3. If so, then how does #2 affect its valuation compared to a 3.5 ct unheated violet blue sapphire and a 3.5 ct unheated violet blue to purple TRUE colour change sapphire, if everything else is equal or comparable?

Also, in general, supposing that all else is equal, what is the price per carat range difference between these 2:
3.5 ct unheated vB6/4 compared to a 3.5 ct unheated vB6/3 sapphire. Presume that clarity is eye clean, no zoning, extinction or other issues.

Post subject: Re: Valuation of Blue Sapphire and Colour Change Sapphire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:42 pm 
Platinum Member

There is no good answer. It depends on the dealer.

Everything being equal, I'd say the CC Saphire would be more per carat. If it's just a weak shift & not as saturated as the violet/blue, then no, it would probably be cheaper or close to the same price.

Also, depends when the rough was bought & how much it was bought for, & if the dealer raises his prices with time or leaves the original price alone.

https://www.instagram.com/elvizprasiolite/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:36 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

In my experience (check out my avatar image), you will pay a premium for a noticeable color change in Sapphire. :) While certainly no expert, I'd imagine a 10-20% boost for a decently moderate color change. If it were truly striking (think high-grade Alex striking), I wouldn't even know how to value it, but I've never seen that in Sapphire.

P.S. If we're not just talking hypotheticals, I'm always interested in pictures of violet sapphires. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Strangely enough, the vendor did not provide a picture of the change and only shows the blue side of the sapphire. It is accompanied by an AGTA lab memo which describes the stone as a violetish blue sapphire and there is no notation of it being a colour change sapphire, hence my questions in the original post. As it is advertised as a colour change sapphire, I was wondering about the premium tacked on to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:33 am 
Valued Contributor

Well the thing is while there are general pricing guidelines for gems, a lot of vendors do not go by them. So what one vendor may charge $1000 a carat for, another may charge $3,000 a carat. Location, their target market, costs of rough or cut gems and other variables will often have more influence on the gem prices than the actual gemstone in some cases.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Chrono why not just ask the seller to send you pics of the colour change. This sounds like a pretty big purchase so unless you are sure of their return policy I'd be wary.

If they are genuine then they shouldn't mind taking a few more pics for a prospective purchaser. Remember your the guy with the cash...If they don't satisfy you then you can always walk away...you might be able to find some personal fault with the colour change which you could use to ask for a reduction :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:36 am 
Valued Contributor

Ah, but this is not for me. Unfortunately, the seller is very well known and reputable, yet refused to take pictures of the colour change. I am asking all these questions in order to give the prospective buyer sound advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:41 am 
Valued Contributor

I am guessing this is Richards color change sapphire?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

Jim,
I am not out to deliberately smear anyone or to tarnish their reputation, therefore I choose not to disclose the name of the vendor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:09 pm 
Platinum Member

Here is a nice CC Saphire, though heated, for a very nice price, about 3.50 cts. The vendor rep is as good as it gets.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/det ... 1244716636

He also has a smaller on that is real nice!

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/det ... 1244716636

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:01 am 
Valued Contributor

hello,

I'll be agreeing to pay more for a color change sapphire.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:01 am 
Valued Contributor

anybody still interested in this topic?
i m stuck in almost similar situation.i have got a nice sapphire,which looks almost pure blue in white light,but in day light it shows violet mixed with blue,if put under strong yellow light it shows more violet then blue,and under ultra violet light,blue color completely disappears,and the stone becomes pure violet.
i m confused if its a color change sapphire,or a violetish blue sapphire.
will submit it to local gem lab in delhi and see what they say.
cant post pictures right now as i gave the stone to a friend to study it under his microscope and give me his opinion on its origin and treatment status.to me it looked burma,but his opinion was cylone.
stone will be back with me after 1 week i guess.
if it comes out to be a color change sapphire,then i m sure this is the first time i have seen such a strong color change in a sapphire.
today i also saw a blue sapphire with some violet tone in it.stone is indeed fom kashmir mines,but violet tone is something i have never heard of or seen till date.
any opinions or thoughts pls?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

You know, I disagree.
I think a fine, saturated blue sapphire with a violet modifier will command a higher price because it is universally understood and coveted.

Color changers are collectible curiosities for very special people. True some special people pay top dollar for curiosities but the general public does not.

My 2¢

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
You know, I disagree.
I think a fine, saturated blue sapphire with a violet modifier will command a higher price because it is universally understood and coveted.

Color changers are collectible curiosities for very special people. True some special people pay top dollar for curiosities but the general public does not.

My 2¢

i agree with you,i m not sure about my sapphire,wether its a color change or a mix of blue and violet.its rainy season in new delhi,though not much rain but sky remains cloudy.i need good sun light to see the actual appearence of this sapphire in natural light.
you are very right that collectible cuorisities are for special people and general public dont buy it.in western countries general public may spend couple of thousand dollars on a stone or a ring,but in a developing country like india,general public hardly spend more than 1000 dollars on something they like,so my target customers here wud be collectors only.
andi personally also love good stones,so may be i wud keep it in my personal collection if it ocmes out to be something un usual.
whatever it is,it looks good to my eyes :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 pm 
Platinum Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
You know, I disagree.

My 2¢

On second thoughts, a little delayed for months, Barbra, you're absolutely right. A high quality Violetish Blue Sapphire in most cases will be more.