January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tanzanite price dropped by another 50%?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:40 pm 
Established Member

While a few people in the tanzanite business told me that the price for tanzanites went up by as much as 20% in the past few months, I came across this article http://www.africanexecutive.com/modules ... ticle=3595 along with several others saying that the price for tanzanite had dropped to its historic low due to low U.S. demand, and [er carat price had dropped to as low as $120 per carat. Who's the telling the truth and what is a reasonable price for good quality tanzanite then? Kind of confused...

Post subject: Re: Tanzanite price dropped by another 50%?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

I think we have to define what qualities are being referred to.

It is difficult to find top quality tanz, most is pale, pastel, commercial quality. The ring featured in your link is an example of the material we normally see for sale:

The exceptional pieces, such as the one pictured below, are still desirable for many and have remained pretty consistent price wise over the last few years.
Attachment:
File comment: Schlumberger for Tiffany recently sold through 1stDibs
Picture 16.png
Picture 16.png [ 219.05 KiB | Viewed 9814 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Shlumberger for Tiffany recently sold through Christie's
Picture 15.png
Picture 15.png [ 142.49 KiB | Viewed 9803 times ]

Sadly the phony hype generated on television shopping networks has been the kiss of death for many gems.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:46 pm 
Gold Member

fzpanda wrote:
While a few people in the tanzanite business told me that the price for tanzanites went up by as much as 20% in the past few months, I came across this article http://www.africanexecutive.com/modules ... ticle=3595 along with several others saying that the price for tanzanite had dropped to its historic low due to low U.S. demand, and [er carat price had dropped to as low as $120 per carat. Who's the telling the truth and what is a reasonable price for good quality tanzanite then? Kind of confused...

fzpanda,
I have been on 4 buying trips to east Africa in the past 13 months. And even though there *may be* a slowdown in Tanzanite sales in the US and CA, the gem is still popular in many other countries.

Now this is strictly anecdotal, but in my experience, Tanzanite prices bottomed out in the spring/summer of 2009. All of the Tanzanite I've purchased since then, there has been a slight uplift in pricing. The sizes ranged from just over 2cts to just over 15cts (finished wgt).

A resolution was put in place by the TZ government so that roughs over one gram in size could no longer be exported for cutting and distribution. The firm, Tanzanite One, was given a reprieve of the ruling. But all other firms must abide by it. The ruling became effective on July 1st 2010. So it is possible that pricing on smaller goods has gone down due to the fact that is what is available.

However, pricing on larger goods has gone up and I have seen it first hand.

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:53 pm 
Established Member

thanks for the response, Barb. How would you rate the quality of the tanzanite below? it is in the 10+ carat range, and pictures were taken with a stand up halogen light off to the side. What kind of price you think it should fetch? Many thanks.

Attachments:
File comment: picture3
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 60.52 KiB | Viewed 9788 times ]
File comment: picture2
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 53.04 KiB | Viewed 9788 times ]
File comment: picture 1
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 51.08 KiB | Viewed 9788 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:57 pm 
Established Member

two more pictures from different angles

Attachments:
File comment: picture 5
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 48.41 KiB | Viewed 9786 times ]
File comment: picture 4
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 45.75 KiB | Viewed 9786 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:14 pm 
Established Member

ROGER DERY wrote:
fzpanda wrote:

fzpanda,
I have been on 4 buying trips to east Africa in the past 13 months. And even though there *may be* a slowdown in Tanzanite sales in the US and CA, the gem is still popular in many other countries.

Now this is strictly anecdotal, but in my experience, Tanzanite prices bottomed out in the spring/summer of 2009. All of the Tanzanite I've purchased since then, there has been a slight uplift in pricing. The sizes ranged from just over 2cts to just over 15cts (finished wgt).

A resolution was put in place by the TZ government so that roughs over one gram in size could no longer be exported for cutting and distribution. The firm, Tanzanite One, was given a reprieve of the ruling. But all other firms must abide by it. The ruling became effective on July 1st 2010. So it is possible that pricing on smaller goods has gone down due to the fact that is what is available.

thanks Roger for sharing some of the insider information. So I guess the price of larger tanzanites can only go up from now on as a result of the new ruling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 pm 
Gold Member

fzpanda wrote:
ROGER DERY wrote:
fzpanda wrote:

fzpanda,

thanks Roger for sharing some of the insider information. So I guess the price of larger tanzanites can only go up from now on as a result of the new ruling.

As is so often the case :-) I agree with Roger - I buy cut stones to recut in Tanzania and from about 4ct+ with excellent colour the prices have gone up each year. That doesn't mean that the ruling will effect anything at all - remember, we're buying cut stones in Tanzania so the export ban has no impact.

Tanzanite prices in the US have been relatively flat for several years. Whether the increased cost I'm seeing on 'pre-forms' translates to higher prices in other markets is yet to be seen.

Cheers,

Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:35 am 
Valued Contributor

I totally realize that to most folks here, that a 5mm, .50 carat Tanzanite, is a very inconsequential gemstone. I feel the same way and would have no use for them.

However, for what it's worth, Direct Shopping Network, sold them Friday night into Saturday morning for $2 per carat. Alleged Block D stones.

Can't be good for Tanzanite prices when word of this gets around.

BF-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:05 am 
Established Member

Bigfish wrote:
I totally realize that to most folks here, that a 5mm, .50 carat Tanzanite, is a very inconsequential gemstone. I feel the same way and would have no use for them.

However, for what it's worth, Direct Shopping Network, sold them Friday night into Saturday morning for $2 per carat. Alleged Block D stones.

BF-

wow. that's quite a price.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

So, they were selling a 5mm faceted tanz for $1?

That's a crazy price.

Someone should ask them, on air, where all their speculation about depleting supply, skyrocketing price predictions and great "investment" potential went.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:43 pm 
Platinum Member

Bigfish wrote:

BF-

I see DSN selling many gemstones for crazy prices, but there is one big hitch, most of the stones are far from top color, cut quite bad, or both.

I've yet to see a Tanzanite on their show that is top color, their always washed out.

All this said a side, I find Art funny as hell, but never trust a comedian. :wink:

https://www.instagram.com/elvizprasiolite/