January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Morganite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:04 am 
Valued Contributor

I am copy pasting few lines from a supposedly leading internet vendors website , claims on prices of morganite are astonishing , nowhere have I seen the stone being sold even close to those mentioned levels.

Misnomer of pink emerald also does not seem fair to the stone , morganite carries greater character and self esteem in itself ; any insights ?

Pink Emerald prices are now at around $450 per carat for some of the smaller stones (<3 carats) in lighter colors, and range to upwards of $10,000 per carat for large stones with rich color. Some dealers see Morganites easily being $10,000 to $30,000 per carat in the very near future. Morganite, or Pink Emeralds are following the lead taken in 1990 when red beryl, or bixbite, was being sold and marketed as Red Emerald.

Post subject: Re: Morganite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:07 am 
Gold Member

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:45 am 
Platinum Member

Ha Ha...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:37 am 
mrb wrote:
I am copy pasting few lines from a supposedly leading internet vendors website , claims on prices of morganite are astonishing , nowhere have I seen the stone being sold even close to those mentioned levels.

Misnomer of pink emerald also does not seem fair to the stone , morganite carries greater character and self esteem in itself ; any insights ?

Pink Emerald prices are now at around $450 per carat for some of the smaller stones (<3 carats) in lighter colors, and range to upwards of $10,000 per carat for large stones with rich color. Some dealers see Morganites easily being $10,000 to $30,000 per carat in the very near future. Morganite, or Pink Emeralds are following the lead taken in 1990 when red beryl, or bixbite, was being sold and marketed as Red Emerald.

Now what makes one think that the guy is a (hopeful) seller and not buyer seeking to increase his stock before the price surge can go any further? :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:31 am 
Valued Contributor

Kerensky wrote:
mrb wrote:

Now what makes one think that the guy is a (hopeful) seller and not buyer seeking to increase his stock before the price surge can go any further? :P

Yes , the referred vendor is obviously a seller , fail see your point unless you are saying I am a seller , in which case you are off the mark . I am only a window shopper.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:20 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

if these prices were accurate, I´d get rich in a minute. Harhar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

Imagine what Jeff White's award winning Morganite would sell for if that was the case. I think that stone was around 60 carats and as fine as can be. At $10k per carat his stone would be $600k. I also hate the term "Pink Emerald." Wouldn't aquamarine then be blue emerald.

Justin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 am 
Valued Contributor

I too wish the prices were anywhere near . Since the vendor has the statement on their website it maybe ok to paste the link here , if not the moderators are requested to remove it . I think they are reputable vendors but everyone is in agreement the price guide provided by them is imaginary.

http://awesomegems.net/morganite.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:11 am 
Site Admin

I'm not in agreement that they are reputable if they spread this kind of desinformation to decieve customers. The world is flooded with "Morganite" that is in fact radiated and heated colorless beryl to start with. There has never been as much Morganite around as right now. Not even when Morganite was really scarce and sought after, in top color, the prices where close to what they mention. I for sure would not buy from a company that lies in their marketing in that way.

my 2 swedish öre, :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 am 
Gold Member

I love this pseudo-marketing hype. :lol:

Maybe they would be interested to know that now I'm writing on a sheet of paper with my pencil, equipped with a tip made with a mix of containing a lot of... "low pressure diamond"! (a misnomer for "graphite"). If this low-pressure-diamond is going to follow the price of diamond, any pencil will be worth thousands $ in a few years! But today you can have any of my pencils for 100$ only!

(I remembered that the color code for sarcasm for posting on this forum was green :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 am 
maialetto wrote:
I love this pseudo-marketing hype. :lol:

.... (I remembered that the color code for sarcasm for posting on this forum was green :mrgreen: )

Thank you for pointing that out. Where in the world would we be without emoticons? :smt006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:12 am 
Gold Member

OMG! I have about 50k sitting in my faceting drawer and did not even know it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:04 pm 
Gold Member

Conny Forsberg wrote:
I'm not in agreement that they are reputable if they spread this kind of desinformation to decieve customers. The world is flooded with "Morganite" that is in fact radiated and heated colorless beryl to start with. There has never been as much Morganite around as right now. Not even when Morganite was really scarce and sought after, in top color, the prices where close to what they mention. I for sure would not buy from a company that lies in their marketing in that way.

my 2 swedish öre, :twisted:

What he said. This is marketing raised to the point of lying.

Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:23 pm 
Quote:
This is marketing raised to the point of lying.

Lisa

Must be an aspiring lawyer (or one in a second career!)

19th C epitaph on an English country lawyer's gravestone:
'In life he lied. In death, he lieth still'.

Happy Christmas, one and all!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hehe... Xactly! Merry Christmas to you too Owen!