January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: what does it cost to cut a diamond?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:30 pm 
Valued Contributor

I am interested in what the wholesale cost of cutting a round brilliant from a sawn 2.00 carat half-octahedron might be. Not the cost of the rough. Only what the labor in the USA might cost a diamond dealer to produce an approximate 1.00 carat finished diamond. Just roughly (excuse the pun). I know there are branded cuts but I am just wondering what the average cost of cutting a diamond might be? Not taking into account the "corrected weight" or the cost of weight loss, just the labor itself. Any Ideas? $200.00. $300.00 $100.00, $1,000.00???What about in China or India??

Post subject: Will you settle for a guesstimate?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

The last, I heard, what you ask would be about $250/$300. I'd suggest that you check with a dealer in N.Y and ask for a quote. You shouldn't have to send the stone until a deal is made. I'm sure that you could have it done for less in both China and India. Since all your speaking of is labor. I think that you would find the cost in Isreal about the same as N.Y.

I'd suggest you get intouch with Joe Schlussel of the Diamond Registry or
Danny Ashkanazi of International Diamond Co. at 760 Market street, San Francisco. Both are very knowlegeable and as honest as the "day is long"

Merv Cohn ASA Retired
www.e-praise.com
home to eCS the easy way to know the Cut.

http://www.e-praise.com
home to eCS (e-praise CUT SCORE)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:03 am 
Site Admin

hi,
this was a topic of the rough diamond course i've taken last year.
in order to calculate the finished price of the rough the teacher tell us some different cut prices. He said for the best quality crystals NY is advised and the price (he said) starts from 120 $/ct.
Prices in China (more or less 25 $/ct) and India (even 15$/ct) are less but advised for lower quality material.
I Know an important cutter who moved 2 yrs ago a big part of his work from Antwerp to the distric of Guanzu (i don't know the correct spelling :oops: ) China but he still prefer to cut stones bigger than 0.70 - 0.80 ct in Antwerp.
just my 2 cent

Alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:10 pm 
Valued Contributor

From what I'm hearing these prices sound right. HOWEVER It seems to me that I never have a problem identifying stones cut in those cheapy markets. All (almost) PREMIER IDEAL CUT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:13 am 
Valued Contributor

The cutting industries in the US, Belgium and Israel are all suffering as lower costs markets come online, as the traditional sources improve in quality and as international shipping and communication get more and more efficient. There is a great push going on in Africa for local cutting services to make their diamonds industries more of a ‘one stop shop’. In the meantime, some of the cutting houses in Inda, China, Vietnam and other low wage places are using the finest equipment and training available in the world and they are producing truly first class results. The days are gone when all you would send to India are melee and macles. Very little rough-to-finished cutting is being done in the Unites States these days.

These guys are the biggest cutting house in the world. Fast, cheap and extremely skilled at what they do.

http://www.rosyblue.com/index.php?flash=ok

Neil

Post subject: ROUGH TO FINISH
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:22 am 
Valued Contributor

I visited a shop in Johanesberg that produced .oo25ct Full Cuts, but was informed that most centers where being cut in New York.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:28 am 
Site Admin

hi
Quote:
There is a great push going on in Africa for local cutting services to make their diamonds industries more of a ‘one stop shop’

i've heard insistent rumors about development of cutting services in Botswana.
just my 2c

alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

Here's a Time magazine article about cutting in India.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,501040419-610100,00.html

It's done nothing but grow since that article was written in 2004 both in volume and in the sizes of stones being processed. The majority of newly mined stones up to 2 carats are now being cut in India and they’re moving upmarket from that as quickly as possible.

Here’s a story, dated just yesterday, of a major Indian cutting house that’s direct selling high end diamonds from 0.50 to 5.00cts to a jeweler near you.

http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=19550

These folks, Venus jewel, reportedly direct sold 21000 stones last year and they aren’t even the biggest. No manufacturer in New York even comes close.

Blink and the world changes. Who knows where things will be next year but for the moment in diamond cutting, it's all about Surat India.

Neil

Post subject: WHAT IS THE COST OF CUTTING A DIAMOND
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:42 am 
Valued Contributor

Regardless of all else, the fundamental rules apply. YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If your looking for a quality cutting with proper proportions, faceting and polishing, you'll pay more than you would for a sloppy job. BUT THEN AGAIN IF IT'S CHEAP, IT'S WORTH IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:58 am 
Platinum Member

rap had a whole issue devoted to the indian diamond trade.. the consensus I got from it was that the indians have yet to convince the trade that the quality cutting is there..

however given the complete lack/indifference of the consumer to cut in the colored stone trade, I imagine that given that trend, it's just a matter of time before the lowest denominator / cheapest price wins out.. Sad but I think all too likely..

Post subject: cost of cutting a diamond
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:50 pm 
Valued Contributor

jleb wrote:
rap had a whole issue devoted to the indian diamond trade.. the consensus I got from it was that the indians have yet to convince the trade that the quality cutting is there..

however given the complete lack/indifference of the consumer to cut in the colored stone trade, I imagine that given that trend, it's just a matter of time before the lowest denominator / cheapest price wins out.. Sad but I think all too likely..

What you say should be considered carefully; Colored stones carry their appeal in their color and diamonds in their Sparkle which is total dependent on their cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:01 am 

Hello Richard and other friends,

The cutting costs here in India (for solitaire pieces) starts from Rs. 600 or $15 per carat to Rs 2000 or $50 per carat. If you get it cut in quantities, the prices will be even lesser. This is the price if one gets a single piece cut here.

Regarding the quality of cut...I have myself supervised in cutting some rough stones. The technology available to the common most man is amazing. They first plan it using the Sarin...remove the excess rough using laser techniques and return to you (or cut that also if one wants). Then cutting and polishing process that takes them a matter of few hours for an excellent cut. The planning is quiet quick and accurate. I am very satisfied with the cutting I got...!!!

I keep visiting Surat, Mumbai, Jaipur and it is just amazing to see the experts at work and in the name of education most are not even graduates....!!!!

It is all worth a visit for exploration.

@Neil...Regarding the Venus Jewel...yes it does have a lot of respect here in Surat....I have never seen any of their advertisement...as far as I know it has no local selling instead everything is online....I have a friend who works there (cuts stones of 2-6 cts only) and his experiences there just amazes me....!!!!