Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Lapidary Training
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:35 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi all !!!
I am planning to set up a lap/faceting /engraving training unit. I am planning to get some accomplished people from Jaipur to be the instructors. I will be training widows or women who are below poverty line.
Before I approach for financial assistance, I need to get to know details, esp of eqpt and tools....
Can anybody throw better light on this basic infrastructural question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:19 pm 
Established Member

Hey Apollo,

While I thought someone more knowledgable than I would've chimed in by now (or maybe they did via PM) I did ask a few people about what would go into something like that. Sounds like a nice idea, to me ... and hope it comes into realization. Anyhow, the guy I talked to said I really needed to talk with another guy about it, so I'll let you know what input he has when I get in touch with him. But for now, it'd help to know what kind of equipment you're interested in? ie big, semi-automated equipment for large volume, or high quality piece equipment for custom crafting? When I told him you'll probably want something geared towards training he brought up the XS3, which really isn't too bad in pricing. I'll give you the links at the bottom. Still, if I were you, I would discuss what your intended trainers and using now and what they can use, maybe even what they'd like to start to use for their cutting. Really, you wouldn't want to load thousands into a machine no one knows how to use properly. And, again, if I were you, I would ask a few rockhounds and subscribe to a facetting mailing list. Yahoo groups has a few of those. But, I'm told the XS3 is a digital head for the Graves machines, which results in better reproducibility, which is useful for beginners. But expect to put a couple thousand for the head, and a couple for the base. Then there are always the other gadgets and gizmos that are quite necessary. But this isn't my area, whatsoever. I hardly even entertain cutting ideas. Still, I'll inquire and write back.

http://www.facetingmachines.com/xs3.shtml
http://www.gearloose.com/xs3.html
http://huntforgems.com/faceting/xs3/index.html

Hope this is a helpful start for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:15 am 
Gold Member

Apollo...

...sorry! I just now saw this thread. I am a dealer for these guys:

http://www.jbfc.com/

They have been around for a long time. They may prove a one-source stop for all your needs. I bet several here know of them. Ed at JBFC would be happy to discuss a setup with you I am sure. If you like, I will give him a heads-up that you will correspond. Although I have no expertise or lapidary tool and equipment business, I have discoverd that ED's reputation for service, support and advice is the best. My dealings with JBFC in other gemmo areas has been a pleasure.

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject: Faceting machines
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:23 am 
DELETED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:57 am 
Valued Contributor

Thanx cinnabar, ux4 and ahmed
I was away from all forums for some time.
Am back now and will get back soon enough.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:17 am 
Valued Contributor

Hello Apollo,

It's a great idea you have, surely there are well priced machines in India? They cut so much stuff there that there would have to be makers of good machines much cheaper then elsewhere.

Let me know if you find a good supplyer as I need some Faceting machines also.

Chears Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:17 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Andrew !

I was cut off as my phone line was disconnected in the wee hours of New Year by revellers.... Just got my phone online some moments ago and here I am...

I am getting some good funds end of next month and I am planning to make some purchases for the unit. I have to clear off some dues too (YG included) . Seems my organic ginger buyer did not transfer some funds to him. YG hasn't mentioned it but I feel real bad ... The bad luck I had losing money on my trip set me back some .... but I always bounce back !!! :D

I am gonna check out in Jaipur then and I am told there are many options within the 100 - 500 USD range as well. Ahmed's offer seems pretty decent, as it is all inclusive of accessories.

I will post the prices on the forum as soon as I get first hand info on the machines and the quotes (pictures included). All of us should benefit if the prices are good.

BTW, am most probably going to Nuremberg (Germany) between Feb 14-20 for Biofach 2006. http://biofach.de/main/d3zq3jg8/page.html
I am participating and hope to get some good customers.

Wish me luck !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:40 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi Apollo,

That is the same time the Inhorgenta fair is in Munich and that's not so far from Nuremberg. So if you want a field trip, go there. It's quite impressive.

http://www.inhorgenta.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:19 pm 
Valued Contributor

Doos,
They must have something against Organic Farmers who are also gemologists !!! What timing !!! :(
I have just 1 day (20th to check it out)
Will try to make it.... thanx for the info. (depends on the state of my finances as well... I am bearing costs for 2 people)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

apollo wrote:
Hi Andrew !

I was cut off as my phone line was disconnected in the wee hours of New Year by revellers.... Just got my phone online some moments ago and here I am...

I am getting some good funds end of next month and I am planning to make some purchases for the unit. I have to clear off some dues too (YG included) . Seems my organic ginger buyer did not transfer some funds to him. YG hasn't mentioned it but I feel real bad ... The bad luck I had losing money on my trip set me back some .... but I always bounce back !!! :D

I am gonna check out in Jaipur then and I am told there are many options within the 100 - 500 USD range as well. Ahmed's offer seems pretty decent, as it is all inclusive of accessories.

Wish me luck !!!!

Have you come across this crew in India: Rajasthan Tools & Spares

http://www.rajtools.com/fm.htm

Looks ok at first glance at reasonable price but maybe a local might have a better idea.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:46 am 
Valued Contributor

Andrew,
I am visiting them personally soon and since there are so many manufacturers there, I am sure we will be able to get a good bargain price.
BTW, I know of the name of this company.

Post subject: wish you all the best
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:16 am 
DELETED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:34 am 
Valued Contributor

Thanks Ahmed.... I wish you the same too.

BTW, I have purchased a faceting machine with a polishing wheel too for sub 400 USD along with 175 pairs of dop sticks. I bought a pre-form machine and a sawing machine too. Am getting a calibrating machine too but after a few weeks. My expenses for the past 2 months have been going a little north, literally.

I am now going to apply for a project to train widows in lapidary.... wish me luck, fellas...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:21 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

How about training us women who wish we were widowed? Or is that just not nice :wink: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:34 pm 
Gold Member

I think it's a great idea, MoDo. Is there a place to sign up to be put on a wish list? :mrgreen:

...bad Crystal...bad Crystal.... :D

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047