January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: IGI vs GIA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:10 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I heard that IGI is not accurate as GIA, if a "G" color in IGI will become "I" in GIA. Is this true? Or just in some case of the IGI cert not all of them??

I'm very interested in a diamond currently has pormotion: E VS1, VG cut, the price is good, but is IGI cert, I am not sure if I should go ahead or better choose a GIA cert diamond?

Any experts please give me some advice? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:44 am 
Site Admin

hi
i think you could starting from other threads like this
i think there are even more but i don't remember well.
ciao
alberto

Post subject: all else being equal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:10 am 
Valued Contributor

All else being equal, stones with a GIA certificate will sell for more. That is a fact in the trade at the moment. I would venture to say that consistency plays a role in this, but I will let you draw your own conclusions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

AGS and GIA command the most respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:14 pm 
Valued Contributor

Now that I read the thread I wonder if some people might interpret my response as meaning that a stone with a GIA cert will sell for more than any other. That was not my intent and like Barbra says AGS also commands respect. If there is a premium for a GIA cert over an EGL cert it is very small.

By the way, you can do your own research on this. Pull up a list of diamonds on Bluenile.com or tradeshop.com or any site that sells certified stones. Look at the prices. Be careful though! I don't mean to lead you into a minefield. Although the online retailers want you to believe that every F-color, VVS1 stone is the same it is not! Cut grades have come a long way to leveling the playing field IMHO, but like people every stone is an individual. Still, you will see that GIA and AGS stones sell for more than EGL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:41 pm 

Thank you for your guys reply.

I think I better go for a GIA cert daimond, actually most of the diamond on the market for sell have GIA cert anyway...

Post subject: Re: IGI vs GIA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:43 pm 

I wouldn't buy a diamond that was not GIA-certified. They have the strictest grading standards and they are generally the most respected industry-wide. Not only did they develop the 4 C's in the first place, but it seems like they produce the most reliable reports. Not worth taking the risk of going with a less reputable lab when you are making such a big purchase in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:05 pm 

For what it's worth, the main diamond in my wedding set was IGI certified as a G, VS1, .45ct (by a GG working for IGI). I've had it appraised by 2 separate appraisers (before my GIA days and I question the credentials of the independent appraisers). There was no dispute in the clarity grade but both people noted the diamond a "G-H". I figured then it was because of the yellow gold setting (while the prongs were white gold) but after taking Dia and Dia grading through the GIA, I've learned a diamond of this size and color should actually look better when mounted in contrast to yellow gold... So I don't know. GIA apparently doesn't grade mounted diamonds at their lab so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Gemologist diploma (GIA)
Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma (GIA)

~Melissa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

To begin with, no lab "certifies" diamonds.
They grade them for color and clarity. :)

It is very difficult (perhaps impossible) to accurately color grade a mounted diamond and most professional graders will give the color of a mounted diamond a spread between 2-3 grades.

Quote:
I've learned a diamond of this size and color should actually look better when mounted in contrast to yellow gold.

I disagree. It will look fine in either white or yellow metal.
A diamond with color grade I or above will face up without body color when mounted.

I wouldn't give it another thought. Seems like you own a lovely ring which is being worn and enjoyed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:10 am 

Thanks Barbra. ("certified") That's what I get for writing while I'm half asleep. ;)

Gemologist diploma (GIA)
Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma (GIA)

~Melissa