January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: International Gem Society membership?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:56 am 
Valued Contributor

I was surfing the web to find a site for subscriptions to gemology magazines and cam across the IGS site.
I was going to join up imidiately but decided to solicit input from
all of you.
Would I be better off with a magazine subscription?
Are there any IGS members or former menbers here who could encourage or discourage membership? What are the benefits?
I will probably never be anything more than a gemology enthusiast
(and most popular grampa in the house!)
Any Help Here?

Thanks in advance!

MJB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

There are some great articles and resources available to members on the site. Much is also explained in layman's terms.
There is also a basic gemology course included that is great for the enthusiast or as a refresher to keep on your toes for professionals.

Quite honestly your best internet resource for top information is right here and at the Gemology Project (links on the left). There is information here for all levels, from beginners to world-class professionals (some of the membership of this forum reads like a who's who of gemology!) there always information that can help you and people ready to share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

The best gemology magazines you can subscribe to are the ones that are published by Gemological Institutes and Labs such as
Gems and Gemology
Journal of Gemmology (Gem-A)
The Australian Gemmologist
etc.

Post subject: Re: International Gem Society membership?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

MJB wrote:

I will probably never be anything more than a gemology enthusiast

Hi,
Lukeness advices are probably what is more suitable for you. However if you really want to subscribe to a gemmo magazine i will suggest Gems and Gemology. (JMO).
ciao
alberto

Post subject: IGS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

I belong to IGS and use the resources frequently. I also use the resources through the gemology project. I also have a good library of texts. And I subscribe to multiple magazines. I am also taking GIA courses via distance learning.

In other words, learning from multiple resources is not bad. The question is do you want to pay the money for IGS membership.

BTW, Barbara Smigel's gemology online course (see left) is also a very good introduction to the subject. The textbooks for her course were the first that I had ever seen/used.

Keep learning.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:45 pm 

How Ironic! I was JUST about to present a very similar question! I too was browsing the IGS website and stumbled upon this:-

"Many people want to know how the IGS course compares with those offered by the GIA and similar organizations.
The GIA is an excellent organization. Their Graduate Gemologist degree is the most respected credential a person can hold in this industry. If you have the time and money, and are serious about a career in the gem industry, the GG course should be your first choice.
The IGS was created for everyone else. It is dedicated to all the gem cutters, collectors, jewelers, and others wanting to know more about gems.
Having a certification opens doors. Beyond that, it is the way an individual presents themselves and their work ethic that determines their success."

I'm a career professional and would like to take my knowledge of Gemstones as far as possible without interfering with my current schedule. This program "IGS" seems to be an ideal avenue for me to both carry out my professional obligations as well as broaden my knowledge of gemstones.

This forum DOES offer a plethora of wonderful information but I also like the fact that the IGS course will be structured, outlined and I will be tested to ensure my understanding of the material. As a gemstone "newbie" I'm finding it a bit overwhelming to prioritize all the information available, both here and elsewhere on the net. It also seems to be a wise alternative in terms of cost.

However, I wanted to ask here first before venturing into any courses and make sure that this (IGS) course is considered a viable alternative to the GIA program.

Your opinions, advice and comments are welcomed!

JJ~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

If you are concerned about having your gemological education considered an asset by an employer, I would suggest going with Gem-A or GIA.

If that is not important to you, I guess you can spend your money on whatever you think will work for you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:57 pm 

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
If you are concerned about having your gemological education considered an asset by an employer, I would suggest going with Gem-A or GIA.

If that is not important to you, I guess you can spend your money on whatever you think will work for you....

Do either (Gem-A OR GIA) offer NON - degree seeking courses? Are they available online? If so, I would certainly choose one of those over IGS.

JJ~

Post subject: IGS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

GIA has several distance learning courses. Some require your attendance at a regional laboratory exercise. The Accredited Jewelry Professional course is completely distance learning. It consists of three courses: Jewelry Essentials, Diamond Essentials, and Colored Stone Essentials. I have just finished Jewelry Essentials (took final exam, no results, yet). Materials were excellent and fairly reasonable. I gained much knowledge from this course.

I have also taken and passed the written exam from IGS for its Professional Gemologist designation. The practical exam consists of identifying unknown stones, that is next on the list. I have learned a lot from this course of information.

As with all distance learning (especially that based on internet presentation), the amount of knowledge that the student gains is directly proportional to the amount of work / personal initiative that the student has to complete the assignments.

I have a little experience in distance learning. I "teach" nine online courses for our local community college. All of which are totally based outside of the classroom. Kind of different from when I was in the classroom; here I rarely even know what my students look like, let alone where they are (I had a student from Wyoming -- school is in South Carolina).

If you can afford the GIA courses, they are the more accepted. However, there are no regulations regarding education and/or training in the jewelry industry. There also is no professional credentialing group for gemologists as there is for many other professions. As an example, I have a teaching certificate from Pennsylvania, that would let me teach any secondary science course. I also have a paramedic certification in South Carolina, which allows me to work in the prehospital emergency medical service.

You will get out of the courses that which you are willing to work to get.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks John for your thoughtful and rather comprehensive response to my original post.
As an update, I did join IGS last Friday evening and am enjoying their reference library much.
As it was a birthday (58th) gift from my wife my daughter also joined in with a subscription to Colored Stone magazine which I prefer because the
G & G from GIA seemed way over my interrest level at this time and only comes out quarterly.

Thanks for everyone's interrest in my question and especially those who
offered your help with replies! What a great group- thanks Barbra!

Mike :D