January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Blue Sheppard is back!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:50 pm 
Valued Contributor

For those who watch DSN (Direct Shopping Network), the only host I've felt worth watching for any length of time was Blue Sheppard. At one time the host of the Monday night show, he disappeared for awhile, much to my chagrin.

I'm happy to report that BLUE IS BACK! If you've never watched before, he is a hoot. Usually dressed in a jacket and tie, he always looks a little rumpled (let's just say, I doubt if DSN has its own hair stylist LOL), but it's part of the "mystique."

One other gemologyonline.com member was so pleased at his return, my phone rang within 2 minutes of the start of the show this evening.

Welcome back Blue! :D Can I come dig around the Tourmaline Queen mine sometime? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:01 pm 
Platinum Member

I like Blue Sheppard but have very mixed feelings about his return as a gem pitchman on DSN. He's a dignified, complex and very knowledgeable man with a great presentation style. Watching him succumb earlier to the "Wait, there's more" Ginsu Knife syndrome really hurt his credibility with me.

I used to tune in to watch him occasionally but became very uncomfortable as he began to mimic the standard DSN sales style. One of the last stones I saw him pitch (one of many done in the same manner) was a big, really ugly Mozambique "Paraiba." The stone was all belly, negligible crown and a color I call gangreen. He started in with the "Retail value $50,000" stuff and didn't even blush. I think the ugly fishtank gravel was final-priced at around $900, which was still far to high IMO.

When he vanished from the show I hoped (and still hope) it was to get back in touch with the real Blue Sheppard.

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:11 pm 
Valued Contributor

I remember that stone. I also remember saying "ew!" when I saw it pitched as Mozambique Paraiba.

I don't care how much copper it's got in it, if it's ugly, it's ugly, and therefore not sellable. Anyone who thinks they can make a fortune buying poorly colored, included stones is in for a big surprise if they ever want to resell them. This is a perfect example of getting what you pay for. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:12 pm 
Platinum Member

gemnut wrote:
This is a perfect example of getting what you pay for. :?

Yes, but how do you feel about Sheppard gilding that particular dandelion and many others like it?

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 pm 
Valued Contributor

ROM wrote:
Yes, but how do you feel about Sheppard gilding that particular dandelion and many others like it?

It's disappointing, especially considering his background / experience. DSN, by the way, is located oh ... about 5 miles from me, tops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:24 pm 
Platinum Member

They're in Glendale, aren't they? Like most of the people who work in the District, :lol:

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm 
Platinum Member

I get a kick out of watching Blue & Art together (they can be hilarious), but I can only watch for so long. DSN is probably the biggest offender at over pricing the value (retail) of gemstones. They really spout outrageous propaganda on gemstone worth. The only thing that makes it watchable for me is that their actual prices are the best on TV. Granted, they sell a lot of junk, but there are also some really good buys. Just cut the B.S. & respect your customers intelligence, it would make the whole experience a lot more watchable for me.

https://www.instagram.com/elvizprasiolite/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:51 pm 
Valued Contributor

Last night they presented a 1.63 ct padparadscha in a WG ring flanked by 2 triangle diamonds, tcw around .6 ct. The pad had a GRS report.

Exaggerations:

- "Padparadscha can be $10-12,000/ct in price". Maybe a HUGE beautifully cut pad with perfect color, but not a 1.63 ct stone with a window you can drive an 18 wheeler through.

- GRS report / cert is "$2000". This I find very hard to believe. I am going to verify this claim myself, but if anyone knows the answer to this I'd like to know myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm 

gemnut wrote:
- "Padparadscha can be $10-12,000/ct in price". Maybe a HUGE beautifully cut pad with perfect color, but not a 1.63 ct stone with a window you can drive an 18 wheeler through.

- GRS report / cert is "$2000". This I find very hard to believe. I am going to verify this claim myself, but if anyone knows the answer to this I'd like to know myself.

That sounds like JTV's Cheryl and her calculator...This 1.25ct [[pale blue]] Tanzanite at $3500/ct would be $4500!!....
OMG they make me laugh! Sure...it would be a $7k stone IF Tanzy was 3500/ct! BUT ITS NOT!

"Here's a gorgeous 3ct 'Miracle quartz'. At $1 million a carat it would be a $3 million stone that we're selling for <gasp>...oh my gawd...are we REALLY selling it for this?... $19 dollars and 99 cents!! Folks! I can't believe this!....."

[I could SO do that job...I can make stuff up too!]
:smt046

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:55 pm 
Valued Contributor

ELVIS PRASIOLITE wrote:
Granted, they sell a lot of junk, but there are also some really good buys. Just cut the B.S. & respect your customers intelligence, it would make the whole experience a lot more watchable for me.

And guilty as charged, I have purchased from them. All of the loose stones I purchased were of good quality, and resembled the stones I saw on TV. The ring I bought, however, was poorly finished, which necessitated a jeweler repair. The stone in the ring, however, was worth the entire price of the piece, so I felt I got my money's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:20 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

gemnut wrote:
Last night they presented a 1.63 ct padparadscha in a WG ring flanked by 2 triangle diamonds, tcw around .6 ct. The pad had a GRS report.

Exaggerations:

Last I checked GRS pricing it was in the $200.00 range.

http://www.gemresearch.ch/prices.htm

J-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks Jason!

You can probably tell I got no sleep last night (literally!), because I couldn't find that page on the site. :oops:

So how did this report magically escalate in price from $200 to $2000, I wonder? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

Like I said, maybe a HUGE, perfect color, beautifully cut pad would command that kind of price. Although I'd call this one a pink rather than a pad:

CLICK HERE