Oct. 24 to 26:SANTA ROSA, CALIFORNIA: Wholesale and retail show; Gem Faire Inc., Sonoma County Fairgrounds
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: gemstones on ebay?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

The gemstones sold on e-bay seem too good to be true. Does anyone have any advice when purchasing gemstones on e-bay?

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Post subject: Re: gemstones on ebay?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Some interesting views concerning eBay were posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14052

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:00 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I tend to avoid faceted stones on eBay unless they have obvious features that make it relatively clear what they are, or if it's from a seller I buy from frequently and whose particular idiosyncrasies I have a sense of. For instance, sphene is a relatively easy choice: it has distinctive fire, color, double refraction and patterns of inclusions, as well as a certain set of cuts that are often associated with its unusual crystal shape. Welo opals are pretty trivial to distinguish from a synthetic in a photo, and are currently often available at cheap prices.
But if you're thinking of auctions like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-11-04-ct-Pear-16-3x12-3-MM-NATURAL-GEMS-TOP-IMPERIAL-TOPAZ-UNHEATED-NICE-/141078993239?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item20d8f69957 then I'd say you're very right to think it's far too good to be true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:51 pm 
Valued Contributor

I've both bought and sold cut and rough gems on ebay. Likewise, I've also gotten screwed and some good deals. The best advice I can give you is that you have to know your seller. Also remember, if it's too good to be true, it's probably a scam. The people who REALLY know stones aren't going to just give them away for virtually nothing. Good luck

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 pm 

I've purchased quite a few stones on eBay and out of them all, only two were not what they were supposed to be.

There were an awful lot however, that weren't the carat weight they were claimed to be. Has anyone else run into this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:15 am 

I've only bought one or two stone on ebay, but I've sold several.

I do my best to get a good picture, that represents the appearance of the stones as best as I can. Then, I price them and wait for someone who knows the value of the stones to purchase them.

When you buy on Ebay, one thing you have to do is make sure you carefully check the feedback of the seller and see kind of comments their buyers leave.

There are legitimate, honest sellers on ebay, but, as you know, there are dozens of people who exaggerate what they have, or deliberately scam people for every one that is scrupulously honest.

Buyer beware. For sure, if it's way too good to be true, it probably is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:08 am 
Valued Contributor

the golden rule: if it is too good to be true, it is usually too good to be true.

I have tried a few times of shopping on ebay. So far I am satisfied with the stones I purchased; except that the actual color is sometimes slightly paler than the picture (I can understand that many factors can cause the differences, so it is not really cheating). As long as it is not a "actually colorless or damn pale colored" "vivid colored" stone, then, I am fine with it.

I try to stay away from those "USD 0.99, no reserve bidding...." People sell to earn isn't it? a revenue gained from selling a natural faceted gemstone should cover its mining cost, faceting cost, transportation from mining source to the seller, etc....and this is even higher for jewelry...so, I don't know how to cover these with less than USD1..unless it is not a natural gem after all.

I also find that some of the specimens I purchased have slight caratage differences....not too bad, around 0.1 to 0.2 ct differences....I can still tolerate this for online gem shopping. Other people may not happy with such difference though.. :D

Although the feedback can be crooked, it is still good to read through, especially the neutral and negative ones and have a rough idea. I tend to check the background of the feedback givers as well, to see how "experienced" they are in gem purchasing, and if possible, the type of gems that they purchased....(if that buyer frequently spent a lot on gems, he/ she should have certain level of experience in gem hunting...) It is good to be a voyeur for this case :twisted:

Don't be shy to ask the seller questions, or for more pictures from different angles or light conditions or video if you are really interested in a gem.

Always try your luck with a small purchase from a particular dealer that you have selected, wait for the package, check it, and if you are happy with the product, stick to that dealer. There are still honest and sincere gem sellers out there. You just need more effort to look for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

WClee wrote:
I try to stay away from those "USD 0.99, no reserve bidding...." People sell to earn isn't it?

Here's the cool thing about those listings. Some get bid up and the seller makes a profit, but others don't, even if they might be just as nice (or almost as nice) a stone. Bad photos, back luck, etc. So if the stone is one of those varieties which is a pretty safe bet you can sweep up what's left with low bids and make out pretty well.