January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:20 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

We can fly rather quickly, up to 120 knots depending on the circumstances. We can also fly as high as 10,000' (the key there being outside the range of small arms fire). We are confident that petroleum exploration is a potential market for our radar, and we have been approached by multinational oil interested in previous generations of our system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:54 am 
Gold Member

Gee, I wonder what happened to BigBear777? :smt105

Post subject: Paraiba Tourmaline on e-bay?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

Here we go again with obvious misrepresentation. I got a big kick over the description of luster: "sparkling." I think they meant to say "vitreous" but then again the dealer is obviously not a gemologist. GENUINE paraiba tourmaline currently is being offered for a costly per carat price. The stones being offered on e-bay are "paraiba-type" tourmalines from Africa. Some of them are nice stones but NOT "the real deal."

Aren't we all getting tired of the gem scams on e-bay? I just read an e-mail from ganoskin.com relating how a buyer purchased some "amber" out of "The People's Republic of China." What she got was a plastic imitation. Of course, the "feedback" rating on the vendor was 100%. To add insult to injury she was charged $125.00 US for shipping although the agreed upon charge was the "standard" $25.00. She had purchased other goods from "China," i.e., Hong Kong, on e-bay and didn't get hurt. It looks like her "luck" on e-bay ran out.

Where I come from, purchasing ANYTHING on e-bay is comparable to shooting dice. You never know that the outcome is going to be like.
Personally, I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read about all of the scams going down. I wish everyone could know the following axiom and live by it. "If a deal/offer sounds too GOOD to be TRUE, it probably isn't true at all."

"Always do the right thing. Your friends will be gratified and your enemies amazed." -Mark Twain

Last edited by Tom Goodwin, G.G. on Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

gem-n00b wrote:
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the stone, per se, I just don't like being lied to.

Now, if the OP had come here saying "hey, here's a stone on eBay... do you think I'd get a good deal if I bid XXX", or "hey, I'm about to bid XXX on this stone on eBay, should I?" then I'd be a lot more forgiving.

The fact that the question was framed in the guise of the poster already having the stone and asking how much it was "worth" gets under my skin.

Well said. I concur on a 100% basis. Individuals coming here looking for "free appraisals" best go elsewhere. This is a forum for the dissemination of gemological knowledge as I understand it, and valuation science is a whole 'nother thing. Of course, when people buy gemstones on e-bay, you can expect a lot of "BUYERS REMORSE ," after they see first hand what they purchased SIGHT UNSEEN to begin with.

"Always do the right thing. Your friends will be gratified and your enemies amazed." -Mark Twain