January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The cost of giving, your appraisal?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I have decided to donate at least a few of my more important cuprian reverse alexandrite color change tourmaline to museums. This will include the original discovery gems of copper in gem quality tourmaline from Mozambique.

Since their value, in my opinion, is well over 5,000 dollars each, I have to have an appraisal done for the IRS if I want the tax benefit. And I think my children deserve to know an estimate of their value. And I am curious also, but not able to spend an excessive amount of money on an gemstone valuation adventure.

The twist to the valuation adventure is that this type of gemstone is being heated to Paraiba blue as soon as the industry gets a hold of it. It is one of the reasons that I am donating the gemstones. Their reverse alexandrite color change is unique in the world of color, not just gemstones. Their scientific significance should ensure that some survive.

So we have a gemstone, that some collector might want to complete his collection of all the different varieties of Elbaite/tourmaline, that is not just getting rarer in the trade, but in its actual physical numbers. (All the purples from the original find in Paraiba were basically heated to oblivion.) I have no way of knowing what is out there, but the GIA lab has said that more of them have recently appeared to be certified. I think the growing interest in them is positive for their survival and value, but the big point is still what would be their value when they are heated. And then how do you factor in the possibility that they will be destroyed in heating without heating.

Ideas to discuss, people to ask for assistance or even just an appreciation of a rather particular appraisal.

Bruce

The feel the rumbles of "Its anybody guess" so ask 10 anybodies and divide by 10-. Assume the most advantages position for myself and let someone disprove it? No one going to spend enough money on this project to get a "good appraisal" in this case.

Post subject: Re: The cost of giving, your appraisal?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

The value associated with anything is defining the market for valuation and then supplying some comps to back it up.
No one is selling this material to my knowledge.
Have you sold any Bruce? If so, what price did you realize? I think those would be the only comps available.

I would propose a donation to the Smithsonian and ask them if they could help you with an appraisal for tax purposes or direct you to someone who could.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:43 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Thanks for the input. I have not sold anything, but I have been notified that an estate company bought one without realizing it. They want to know a price. I am going to visit the Smithsonian in the spring along with the Museum of Natural History in New York. I have already talked to the GIA and they did give me a name to try and told me about the need for an appraisal.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

I guess one could stretch to base comps on the rarest of toumalines, as long as they defined that in the appraisal. with your Laurelites being even rarer.

The conundrum is I can't think of a super rare gem which has never been sold. :| Can you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:07 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Oh they have been sold, but only as fader for the fire to be heated to Paraiba blue (At least in most cases). Some years ago, I remember a sequence of pictures from Dyer I think. He describe the piece of cuprian tourmaline (reverse color changer) to be heated and had a picture too. He got best wishes from all around and said that he would post a picture of the "finished" gem. And he did and it was a great blue which ment that he had "won" the gamble when he purchased the piece of rough.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

:smt106 Another gem sacrified.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:24 pm 

Some pieces crop up on eBay from time to time, though I don't know if they tend to sell.
eg http://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Tourmal ... SwIwhWROeP