January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help! What to do with this information?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:38 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

The long and short-

My girlfriend was previously engaged, her ring was bought by her ex who refuses to tell her any information about where he got the stone. Her fear is it's not real, as he was quite the liar throughout the relationship.

I took it to my local jeweler and they gave an appraisal of the ring... however, the stone has a laser-etched serial# that i cannot seem to lookup anywhere online? The person who sets the stones at the local jeweler said he does not recognize a serial number that looks like this.. can someone possibly share where I can find documentation of the stone? The serial# reads "N10114B"

Ladies 14kw three(3) ring wedding set soldered together weighing 7.9 grams. The center diamond is a modern round brilliant 1ct(weight estimated while set by formula) with SI1 clarity and E/F color. Set in the engagement ring are 102 round brilliant diamond equaling .39ct total weight with SI clarity and G color. Each band contains twenty)20) round brilliant diamond equaling 1/3ct total weight with SI clarity and G color.

Any help would be amazing! I have been googling for a few hours about diamonds and looking up on websites and feel that I am not getting anywhere.

Post subject: Re: Help! What to do with this information?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 pm 
Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by your question.

You took the ring to a presumably competent jeweler for an appraisal.

Does the appraisal list any qualifications, or organizations that this jeweler belongs to?

In any case, judging from the information in the appraisal he provided a decent description of the piece. The actual accuracy of the sizes and grading is of course limited by the work being done while the stones were mounted. Something he properly disclosed.

If what you are looking for is the name of the Lab that issued the report, put the stone under the microscope and look for a logo of the lab. Most of the bigger labs do inscribe a logo along with the serial number. If there is no logo, then it is likely this was done as a sales tool and not by an Internationally recognized Lab. In this case the report is of little value in the market anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

It is certainly easy to test for identification, which appears to have been done by the appraiser
Do you intend to use this ring again as an engagement ring?
Do you want to sell it?

What are you trying to discover?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:11 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

trying to sell the diamond/ring, do not want to reuse.
however, when people ask about the ring they want some sort of paperwork more than an appraisal.
there is no logo along with the serial number... its about $250 to send in and get a GIA paper.
i didn't know if this serial# looks like a particular company that i could already show some sort of paperwork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:23 pm 
Gold Member

Understand, and we would love to help you in some way.

Is there a Hallmark of some sort in the shank of the ring?

Do you know the jewelry store the ring was purchased from?

If so one of them may be able to point you to the lab they were using.

However, as I pointed out in a previous post, the lack of a logo accompanying the serial number indicates to me that this is not from a major diamond grading laboratory. Therefore it will be of no value in selling the stone.

The wholesale value of a 1 carat E Si1 diamond certainly justifies the cost of getting a report done, and will add much more than the cost of the report to what you receive for the stone. Especially if it provides enough confidence for a private person to buy it.

This is such a predominate position in the industry that stones of this quality are almost always sent to the GIA to be graded prior to being sold in the wholesale market. The fact that some other lab was used, raises red flags for me. Possibly about the quality of the cut. I notice that no information on this was mentioned in your appraisal. As I have said, there are many labs that issue reports that are basically just selling tools. The standards of these labs are most often not very high. That is why they get no credibility in the industry.

I suggest you accept that you will need to send the stone to GIA (most respected in the industry) for a report if you want to maximize your sale price. If you were my own child, this is the advise I would give you. Take it.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

I'm just going to put this here for the OP reference (basic dossier for 1ct - $85):

https://www.gia.edu/doc/DtoZ_FS_USD_2019_0701.pdf

Hope that helps...

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer