January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm 
Gold Member

Well, I can only speak from experience as a G.G. and I loved my courses. My favorite part was the hand's on training, lab experience, and the first hand exposure to all of the different stones.

From what I have heard, F.G.A. is mostly theory and writing and not as much practical experience, but since I've never studied with them, I'm not entirely sure. That may be why their costs are lower than GIA's.

Post subject: Gem-A in New York
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:33 pm 

I don't think FIT is yet teaching the FGA course as yet. I could also not see anything on their website.

Mel Huth
Director
California Institute of Jewelry Training
www.jewelrytraining.com

info@mastervaluer.com
800-731-1122

Post subject: Re: Gemology as a Career
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

gem doc wrote:
Hi Tepidarium,

Hello! Maybe I can help. I completed my G.G. at age fifty. I have had careers in sales, mangement and ministry. I have a college degree in education not science. You do not have to be a Geologist to be an appraiser. The G.G. diploma from GIA is a necessary starting point to begin you career in appaising.

You need to do two things immediately post G.G. education. First find an established mom and pop store that is willing to hire you. If you are smart you will listen more than you talk. A seasoned veteren jeweler has the real world education that you did not recieve through GIA.

Secondly, you need to begin some formal training in appraising. Check out the appaisers corner for the programs offered both distant and residence. Gemology training prepares you to identify gems not place a value on them. I received my G.G. in Nov 04. I have continued my education through GIA in pearls and through the American Gem Society where I hope to become a Certified Gemologist Appaiser by the end of this year.

Be prepared to start out in the high teens and low twenty thousand dollar range as a rookie appraiser. Appaisers with years of experience and formal appraisal training can earn 50+ a year. If you want to get rich look else where. The satisfaction you derive from this profession is the pride of being an expert whose opinion is valued and respected. I work for a wonderful store in SC. Many people have to go to work everyday. I get to go to work.

Being part of this forum will open up a wealth of information that represents many years of experience. If you pay attention and ask questions you will avoid many unnecessary mistakes.

If I can be of any help do not hesitate to ask. We are all looking forward to hear what you decide.

Engage! :)

Excellent info gemdoc!!!
BTW Aiken is such a great little town...i almost took a job there...Floyd and Green ring a bell??
D.

Post subject: Independant Appraisals
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:27 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

My brother and I have been shooting around the idea of starting an independant gemological appraisal service. He is an MG from GIA (finished his degree over ten years ago) and an ASA certification. He has 13 years of experience in a mid-level, locally owned retail fine-jewelry store. He has most of the necessary equimpment, and his wife is an experienced book-keeper/office manager.

Does anyone have any experience in setting out on their own? I'd love to share stories/strategies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sure, many of us are independent appraisers. Where are you located?

PS What's an MG? I think the GIA awards a GG.

Post subject: MG
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:31 pm 

MG is a Master Gemologist designation awarded by the ASA. If I'm not mistaken, there are only 55 or so Gemologists who have achieved this status in the US.

He got his GG from GIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

OK, well, it looks like you guys are loaded with gas....where are you located?

Post subject: mg, gg, asa, gassed up, etc...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:35 pm 

Albuquerque, NM.

My brother is a great guy, and he has a great reputation in the gem community. I work in medicine, so I suppose I'll be in the background, but I really want to see him succeed on his own.