Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Microscope
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:14 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi,

I'm new to the gemology forum and I went through all the posts about microscope.

I have just 2 specifications that I'm looking for, budget not being the issue and looking for the best one in the market.

1. A microscope that can run on 110 and 220 v both

2. Lifetime warranty.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Sonia

Post subject: Re: Microscope
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:53 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Sonia , and Welcome !

You can find many interesting answers inside the forum , through search or in the rubrics about Gem Equipment and Beginners only

especially here ....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18397&p=186112&hilit=microscope#p186112
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15817&p=164304&hilit=microscope#p164304
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15614&p=162402&hilit=microscope#p162402
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13047&p=133363&hilit=microscope#p133363

"I always believed in being myself"- Thelonious Monk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:42 pm 

Hi there,

I finally bought the meiji gemz-5-svh which includes emz 5 stereo microscope body, 20 x eyepieces.
svh professional dark field stand with iris, oblique illuminator and gem clamp.

Please let me know if this is the best brand to go for and I have 30 days to return/add something to it.

I want to know if there is a listing of microscope brand in sequence from best-ok. And if this is the right choice of brand?

I need advice on this pls guide. I can still change the brand or add any other required part for the microscope to it.

Thanks in advance,

Sonia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:07 pm 

I had been looking at one of these Motic trinocular stereozoom gemmo scopes:

http://www.motic.com/index.php?p=402&a=view&r=452

Looks like it is dual voltage, they sell accessories such as purpose made immersion cells and the gem clamps were of good quality (no stones pinging out of the holder, no drooping clamp either).

Maybe one of our microscope experts can weigh in on the optics and quality as compared to other new scopes on the market these days. This one was highly recommended to me by a trusted friend at a gem conference I attended last year, but as I had only travelled with hand luggage, carting it home was an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:35 pm 
Platinum Member

Why on earth would you expect that anyone would give you a lifetime warranty on a microscope??

There actually is a company here in the USA called Swift , who are not to be confused with the old british company of the same name who DID give a lifetime warranty on their inexpensive japanese microscopes that they imported in the sixties and seventies and maybe kept doing it longer. The warranty was even honored to someone who was not the original purchaser. Last time I checked with them was like 20 years ago and don't know whether they are still in business. They did not have a gemological scope. I have never heard of anyone giving a lifetime warranty on a gemo scope. or anyone else giving a lifetime warranty on a scope. The real microscope companies usually warranty their product for three and as much as five years. With lots of exclusions.
http://www.swiftoptical.com/t-warranty.aspx?skinid=1

Also , while you may have some good reason for wanting dual voltage and such power supplies are getting more common on equipment, that is a very silly criterion on which to select a microscope for gemology. Since the most power that a good gemmo scope is going to draw is about 50 watts if that much a very tiny transformer could do the job of step up or step down.

That said Meiji scopes are excellent and you will probably be very satisfied with it.
The ones that I have seen had dark field only, no bright field. The scopes are excellent.

The Motic that Julie linked to would probably be fine too. Being from China I would recommend only purchasing it from someone who is positioned to back it up should there be any quality control problems. Things from China still have such problems. Although Motic manufactures microscopes that are sold with the Zeiss label on them (all the lower priced Zeiss stuff is made by Motic)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 pm 

Thanks for the note on meiji.

helped me stick to my decision.