January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Taking photomicrographs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 pm 

Is a trinocular microscope absolutely essential for photomicrographs, or is there some other kind of set up? I am shopping for a new microscope, and the good quality trinocular scopes, such as Eickhorst, are really pricey. I have more choices in binocular, but I don't want to give up on my dream of doing photomicrograhs at some point! So -- is there any way to do this, without the trinocular setup?

I should say: photomicrographs are not my main thing -- the main purpose of the microscope is for appraising purposes. The photos are just something I want as an added tool.

TIA,

Neil

Post subject: Re: Taking photomicrographs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:26 pm 
Platinum Member

There are now eyepiece cameras you can buy that will take quite good pictures to strictly speaking the answer is no you don't need a trinoc or photoadapter scope.

But everyone who takes any amount of pictures at all uses them.

The new mirrorless cameras can also be adapted and stuck onto eyepieces. Since no one shoots film anymore it becomes much easier to use such arrangements (ie camera stuck onto ocular tube) and view the picture you are going to get using the cameras Live View out put which may be old fashioned video, HDMI, or USB camera linkage.

The camera needs to be suitable adapted to the microscope both mechanically and optically.

There are zillions of posts in this forums archives on the subject. You can also find state of the are information on taking high mag pictures at my other favorite web forum http://www.photomacrography.net/forum

If you went there and studied up you might find that a suitable alternative might be to just use a macrophotography outfit. It has a number of image quality advantages over shooting through a stereo where you normally are only shooting one eyes' worth of what you see through the stereo. It is not the optimum arrangement for shooting but does do quite well for routine purposes.

Post subject: Re: Taking photomicrographs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:37 pm 

Thanks for the in-depth response. That is basically what I thought would be the situation. I think I really have to weigh up my needs versus wishlist!

Thanks again,

neil