July 11-12:BILLINGS, MONTANA: Annual show; Billings Gem and Mineral Club; Sat. 10-5, Sun. 10-4; Free admission!
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Trinocular or Not?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:22 am 

This is related to my continuing thread that has garnered such great responses in another post, about purchasing a good microscope for appraising. I am close to selecting a Meiji Techno GEMZ BF-DF, and I am just working on the exact configuration. I was close to selecting the version with the Trinocular port, when I got an opinion from a well-respected source that for my purposes, which is probably fairly infrequent photomicrographs, the 3rd port is an unnecessary addition. In fact, this person made the point that, with a bit of practice, it is quite easy to take good photomicrographs through the eyepiece, and that in fact this can even add to the flexibility of the shot, since you can adjust the handheld camera more easily than the camera set in the the 3rd port. So, I just wanted to get people's opinions on this idea, since obviously, I could save some $$ by just going binocular.

TIA,

Neil

Post subject: Re: Trinocular or Not?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:41 pm 
Platinum Member

Although I offered essentially the same advice several posts back, I don't actually think it's good advice. Every appraiser I know and I know a few , either takes pictures or is looking for a convenient way to do so.

If you have a trinoc you can set up a permanently mounted dedicated camera and just operate the lever and push the shutter. You can also have an enlarged image on the now very low priced computer flat screens. For your client to see stuff you are talking about.

If you don't buy the trinoc , very soon, you will wish you had. You will make back the $500 price difference the first time a job comes along where the client wants lots of pictures. You want to appraise, not fiddle and change the configuration of your microscope every five minutes.

Quote:
and that in fact this can even add to the flexibility of the shot, since you can adjust the handheld camera more easily than the camera set in the the 3rd port.

This is utter nonsense and incorrect. There is NO flexibility of the shot , added or increased ,by shooting through the ocular. None whatsoever! Was the person trying to sell you anything. Like maybe something THEY had in stock?? Shooting through the ocular is something that can be done but only in an emergency or rarely.

Often people ask about microscopes who are beginning gemologists and don't know how far they will go and whether to spend more or less money. In that circumstance lower priced and simpler scopes can be recommended.

But you are setting up as an appraiser. Barbra and I don't always agree about WHERE to buy your equipment. But we do definitely agree that you should buy the best equipment you can to help you with your work. That means a trinocular.
Barbra tell Neil what kind of scope you upgraded to. and everyone else speak up too.

Post subject: Re: Trinocular or Not?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 pm 

I hear you! Some great points there -- including the ability to enlarge onto a monitor -- that I had not even thought about. I was set on a Trinoc from the outset, just that I was thrown off by someone suggesting the other route. No, he's not trying to sell me anything -- I guess this is just something he passionately believes! But for me, I do believe in getting the best equipment as well as looking for the best value for the dollar, so this is an easy one for me. Back to my Trinoc!

Thanks! This forum is indispensable.