GemologyOnline.com
https://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/

Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope
https://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23678
Page 1 of 1

Author:  richi143 [ Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 am ]
Post subject:  Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope

Hello everyone,
I am a newbie in the field of gemstones and recently got my Diploma.
I am trying to setup a lab and recently i have purchased a Motic GM171 Binoculars. Its restricted upto 50x. Can i make it go beyond that by some additions or replacement of eyepieces? Currently it have N-WF 10x/23 eyepieces.

Author:  Alberto [ Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope

hi and Welcome to the Forum!
i would rather purchase a 1.5X or 2X additional lens, than higher mag eyepieces.... ;-)

Author:  richi143 [ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope

Alberto wrote:
hi and Welcome to the Forum!
i would rather purchase a 1.5X or 2X additional lens, than higher mag eyepieces.... ;-)


So, putting a 2x lens on top will increase the magnification to 2 times ot 50x i.e. upto 100x?
Will it affect the clarity and sharpness of the view?
Do we have these magnification lenses from motic(if you have any idea) and how much they cost?

Author:  Barbra Voltaire [ Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope

The higher the magnification, the less the field of focus. That is why, especially with corundum, a lower magnification is more telling that a higher magnification.

Author:  richi143 [ Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
The higher the magnification, the less the field of focus. That is why, especially with corundum, a lower magnification is more telling that a higher magnification.


By field of focus you mean the area under the lens which will be in focus?

Can you also let me know the exact word used for this magnification lens if I goto the market to purchase?

Author:  Barbra Voltaire [ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope

richi143 wrote:
By field of focus you mean the area under the lens which will be in focus?
YES
Can you also let me know the exact word used for this magnification lens if I goto the market to purchase?


It is called an optional auxiliary lens which can be screwed onto the bottom of the objective lens on most stereo zoom microscopes in order to increase OR DECREASE total magnification .Typical auxiliary lens magnifications include 0.5x, 1.5x, or 2x.

Hope this helps.

Author:  richi143 [ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
richi143 wrote:
By field of focus you mean the area under the lens which will be in focus?
YES
Can you also let me know the exact word used for this magnification lens if I goto the market to purchase?


It is called an optional auxiliary lens which can be screwed onto the bottom of the objective lens on most stereo zoom microscopes in order to increase OR DECREASE total magnification .Typical auxiliary lens magnifications include 0.5x, 1.5x, or 2x.

Hope this helps.


Thankyou soo much for your help. One last thing i want to know, that its screwed at the bottom of the scope so i need a single lens? Or its screwed at top of each lens of binocular so total 2 lenses will be required?

Author:  Brian [ Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Increasing magnification of my Motic Microscope

An auxiliary lens screws onto the single objective lens at the bottom of the optics tube.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/