Established Member

I try to avoid the made in China crap but saw this

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... ed65BC3JJS

Anyone have one, review?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Proportion scope
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:31 am 
Site Admin

a Chinese version of the GiaGem Proportionscope. it seems the apprach is slightly different here though: focusing is provided by the built-in objective instead of relying on the complicated (but effective) movable mirrors setup contained in the GiaGem unit. teorethically it should work but....since we are dealing with a shadow projection, if the angles are not 100% precise, you may end up with wrong values. I mean, Chinese stuff are not famous for their reliability from this point of view.... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:31 pm 
Established Member

They're asking $1225 USD for one, think I'll pass :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

considering the original one was for sale years for roughly 4/5 times, that price is not so outrageous.
Anyway, have you ever consider to go for an ocular version? that should be in the range of 5-600 $ IIRC....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:42 pm 
Established Member

Yeah, I know but I'm not going to spend that on something I'm not sure works half decently. Been looking at the ocular ones too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 am 
Established Member

I am not trying to convince you to buy any gemological equipments made in China (yet), but I think Fable is the brand that you may try your hands on when there is one around.

It is a pretty aggressive brand popped up in the last few year that provided (copied - but with modifications) the full line of gemological products you can find in the market at a decent quality, including a CZ refractometer (RI1.35-1.85 range, accuracy 0.002, batteries & AC powered, with internal monochromic light...). Recently, they carried their in house FTIR, XRF, UV-VIS spectrometers...

Warn you that their stuffs are not cheap. Their products are marketed at around 50%-70% (or more) of Ecikhorst’s price - even when you buy them in China, or online at taobao.com, alibaba.com.

Personally, I won’t touch their microscope/ loupes yet, because the lens material, ultra fine polishing and formula for coating, etc. are not something they can copy (i.e. scratch/dig ratio was not specified). But other than that, I will use the “trying before buying” approach at this moment - because again, they are not cheap.

Here are the links to their products:
http://www.gemtestinginstruments.com
http://www.szfable.cn/product/dxjdyqdc8/

Sunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:27 am 
Site Admin

slscanada wrote:
It is a pretty aggressive brand popped up in the last few year that provided (copied - but with modifications) the full line of gemological products you can find in the market at a decent quality, including a CZ refractometer (RI1.35-1.85 range, accuracy 0.002, batteries & AC powered, with internal monochromic light...). Recently, they carried their in house FTIR, XRF, UV-VIS spectrometers...

i browsed their stuff, i was interested especially in their spectrometers but found some details that puzzles me.... :roll:
they advertise their UV-Vis with a range of 225-1100 nm.....why not including IR in the description?
Going down to 225 nm in a decent efficient way requires specific source (Deutherium, Xenon..), i don't see any mention of it.
quoting from details: " Sample mode: Integrating Spheres & Probe" , i don't see any probe and, the image shows a squared box with a frontal lid.....i am not sure it contains an integrating sphere...... :roll:
"their" FTIR is the standard Thermo is-5 with what it seems to be a PIKE sampling module for specular reflection.....if this is really the setup they are providing, the features are limited to specular reflectance only, which means you are missing 90% of the gemological capabilities.....
The most important thing in common for all the systems featured: i don't see any mention of Database or libraries provided...
Of course i could be wrong and it seems the 2nd link contains slightly more specific features but...it seems it's available in Chinese language only.... :roll:

sidenote: after this post i will be very likely smashed by Mikko for commenting (giving advices?) other manufacturers products (which we never do [-X ) but in this particular case I felt the need to clarify some aspects a common gemologist may not get, exclusively with the purpose of sharing knowledge........which is why me, him and all the other members are - or should be - here...... :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

I find this information really advantageous to our forum, Alberto.

Very few of us have the background to intelligently make these observations and clearly explain to the rest of us what you discovered.

Thank you!