January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hoping for some advice!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:19 pm 
Established Member

I’m in for finding the opinions of the masters today!

Earlier this year I asked for microscope recommendations, to which I ended up with a Meiji GEMZ/BF-DF-5TR Gem BF/DF Trinocular Zoom Stereo System which has been such a fantastic scope. I would like to play around with some photomicrography, being very intrigued with inclusions. I was wondering if anyone could offer any recommendations on utilizing the trinocular aspect of this scope? Any mount and camera recommendations?

Also been kicking around getting a new UV light system and viewing cabinet. The uv light I have now is really better suited to minerals, it’s large and kind of a pain but it was affordable at the time and does do the job.

Thank you for any insight!
Raeghan

Post subject: Re: Hoping for some advice!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

I use the UV cabinet available through Kassoy:
https://www.kassoy.com/uv-lamps/4w-uv-l ... abinet.asp

I purchase it a long time ago (30 years) and have replaced the actual light 3 times.

It is still going strong and I use it everyday. The cabinet is indestructible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:13 pm 
Gold Member

I'm glad to hear you like the Meiji. I don't have a specific camera recommendation, but once you've chosen a camera, you'll want to get a corresponding adapter ring. Meiji has camera adapter rings for many different camera brands that make it easy to attach a camera to the trinocular camera port.

For example, I use a T2-5 ring to attach a Nikon SLR camera directly onto the camera port (i.e., no lens at all between the camera and port).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 am 
Valued Contributor

You'll also need the correct photo tube and photo lens.

My setup is a GEMZ-5TR combined with a Nikon camera with 3/4 sensor, a D40 or D3300. The parts Meiji recommended me were the MA150/50 photoport and the 2.5x photo lens. But especially the lens needs to be fitted to your camera, so check with Meiji if you are unsure. That is what I did. :)

You'll need to fiddle around a bit with the length of the photo tube to make sure that the image is in focus for the camera at the same time as for your eyes. Also, be aware that you'll need to manually program all exposure parameters on your camera, e.g. the ISO. Only the 'M' program on the camera will probably work, at least on mine it's the only option...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:35 am 
Gold Member

Interesting. I don't use any tube or lens at all. I just thread the bare camera onto the mount.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

Let me see if I can add some pictures...

First, the complete setup... The photo lens is invisible in the first picture as that sits inside the photo tube. We'll get there in the next pic...

After removing the outer photo tube, we're left from top to bottom with the lens, the inner part of the photo tube, and the photo port itself.

The lens is a cilinder that slides into the inner tube. Let's remove that as well.

A picture from above with the lens back in place:

Finally this is what the camera + nikon adapter + outer photo tube looks like:

You made me curious how you manage without all this Brian... :) The other option is of course to use the camera lens and attach to one of the two oculars, but afaik that only works with point-and-shoot type camera's including smarthones, not with DSLR's...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:37 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

On my rig I have a 2.5x photo optic in the eyepiece holder and use a full frame SLR with a 100 mm lens. I find that gives excellent resolution and covers the full 24mm x 36mm frame. I am using film rather than digital, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work as well with a DSLR. As has been remarked, probably best to turn all auto functions off and work by trial and error. Make notes of setings and pretty soon you will be rated as an expert.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 pm 
Established Member

Thanks! This actually helps a ton, I can get my wish list going. Truly meaning, once I get through the Christmas season I can begin treating myself again haha