January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Zebra Jasper
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 am 
Established Member

I'm trying to find out some information about Zebra Jasper aka Zebra Stone, Zebra marble, I've been told so many things about it that I'd really like to know what's factual before I write about it on my website. I've been told it only comes from Rajasthan which I'm not sure is true, that it's a type of marble and that it's a sedimentary rock that's made up of black and white dolomite.

Any factual information that I can use as a lead to research it further would be greatly appreciated. There's so much claptrap that's been written about this and many other stones online that I don't want to add even more non factual information to what's already out there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Attachments:
File comment: Cabochon of Zebra Jasper
zebra-jasper-pendant.jpg
zebra-jasper-pendant.jpg [ 78.83 KiB | Viewed 1193 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Zebra Jasper
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 pm 

The big problem is that ANY black and white striped stone gets called zebra jasper or zebra stone (or marble or agate etc etc). What you have there is definitely a marble of some sort (using countertop terminology, so dolomite is possible too). It has clearly been sujected to metamorphism, so it is no longer sedimentary though it was initially. The alternating zones likely result from chemical segregation during metamorphism of elemental impurities, which is a process that happens a lot in a lot of contexts but isnt super well understood. It is not super rare or valuable but it cuts a nice stone. If you want to know calcite vs dolomite, dilute hcl makes calcite fizz but not dolomite.
There are lots of other varieties with similar names, including Austalia's amazing zebra stone that shows really awesome complex zoning.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:02 pm 
Established Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, I was told earlier that the material from India is known as zebra jasper and it is a jasper/agate and stones from Utah which are almost identical in appearance are correctly known as zebra marble because thats what it is. This piece is from a supplier of mine in Rajasthan.

I know the stone isnt particularly rare or highly valuable but it's popular and we sell a considerable amount. I also like to know that what I'm writing on my website is factual and accurate instead of adding information that's rubbish which sadly you see far too often on sites that sell 'crystals' and minerals.

I've seen Zebra Stone from Oz, that stuff really is fascinating!

Thanks again,

Laurence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:57 pm 
Gold Member

I think just about every rock collector here has a chunk of the stuff. I believe it comes from the north of Western Australia.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:36 am 
Gold Member

Is this the sort of material you mean? Or something else?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:30 am 
Established Member

To those of us who have never seen that stuff, it looks fantastic! You guys are probably sick of looking at it :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 am 
Gold Member

Yeah, it's unusual-looking material - I'm not even sure exactly what it's classified as.

I've never tried to cab it or anything, most rock collections here have a slab of it sitting on the shelf.

Every collector covets stuff they can't get hold of easily :) No shortage of zebra stone here but what I would really love is some of that Polish flint - that stuff is beautiful!! :shock: I don't think I've ever seen it offered at any local gem, rock and mineral convention.