January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Where can I find raw or tumbled natural citrine?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:38 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

The subject says it all. I am making a necklace but I want the real thing. Everything I can find is either from brazil (which means it's likely fake) or incredibly expensive. Expense is not an issue but I'm looking for a good deal. I live in MN so online is probably the best bet.

Post subject: Re: Where can I find raw or tumbled natural citrine?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:50 pm 
Platinum Member

Natural citrine is extremely rare. One of the rarest stones out there, actually. There has been an upsurge in finds recently, compared to when I first started in rocks and gems.
I think it was Zambian or Congo crystals, maybe both, that I have seen coming out for the past few years. Before those, it was super hard to find natural citrine. It only occurs in a few places on Earth where it's in copious enough amounts to be mined commercially. It occurs infrequently in many places...even in America. I know a few people who have dug it from random pockets here and there, but typically it's honey color or trends more towards a light smoky color.

Here is what you can do......actually..give me until next post to answer. I am using a computer at my folks house and will respond when I get back home later on....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 am 

It's rare relatively speaking compared to amethyst or smoky, but there is so much coming out of zambia that it can be had at pretty nice prices if you find the right dealer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

re: Zambian Citrine,
This material is alleged to be untreated and it may be. The GIA tested some and determined the material was natural: NOT synthetic. But there is no way to verify that this material is unheated.

Unheated, Natural Citrine is described here in the Quartz Pages with some solid information:
CITRINE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:32 pm 
Platinum Member

LOL...beat me to it, Stephen...LOL...I knew someone would respond before I was able to get home and reply.

Back when I first started in rocks and crystals, it was really hard to come by. Like you touched on, Stephen, once the Zambian material came around, it wasn't hard to find it at all. My best bud/digging partner even had some, that he picked up 2-3 years ago in Tucson. When it comes to American material, he is on the ball. Anything he purchases from overseas for later resale, which is rare for him to do, usually means there is a significant supply of it for him to have come across and then purchased wholesale.
He had a decent amount of Zambian points at one time and was selling them for a pretty penny.
The metaphysical crowd really loved them and bought most from him.

Okay...so here is what you can do arachne1....if you want natural citrine, then buy from the guys at Anahi in Bolivia. It's the Ametrine mine, but they have natural colored citrine, cobbed from ametrine rough. It's guaranteed to be legit. If you buy ametrine
from other sources, you run the risk of getting synthetic material.
(By my old calculations from the research and write-up I did 6-7 years ago, regarding synthetic ametrine on the market, I believe that 50-70% is synthetic)

Here is there website and contact info
http://www.ametrine.com
Minerales y Metales del Oriente SRL
Av. Transversal V3 #5 Parque Industrial
Santa Cruz - Bolivia
Phone: 591-334-73641
Fax: 591-334-73640
e-mail: sales@ametrine.com

If you want another route, hit me up on Private message and I will steer you towards someone I know who may have some. They tend to be full formed crystals and cost more than one would expect, but not terrible or overpriced/rip-off.
(if i recall, my best bud was selling his citrine crystals for $40-$60(3-4 inches long give or take and thumb sized in girth...he had bigger that were around $100-$200, if I recall correctly.

How about those yellow phantoms/yellow included crystals from Diamond Hill Mine? It's technically not citrine, but I find it to be more strong and bright in color than most heated citrine and natural citrine. It's yellow iron oxide trapped in quartz crystals beneath a layer of clear quartz overgrowth. It's sometimes called "sun quartz", by the miners.
Attachment:
diamond%2520hill%2520mine%2520overgrowth%2520cluster.jpg
diamond%2520hill%2520mine%2520overgrowth%2520cluster.jpg [ 32.24 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
20170426_105809.jpg
20170426_105809.jpg [ 31.35 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
P3260447.jpg
P3260447.jpg [ 46.01 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Jason, ametrine is something I hadn't considered as definitely being unheated.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:54 pm 
Platinum Member

Can you elaborate, Miss B? Are you referring to heating while in-situ, or a later heating treatment?
I don't trust any ametrine out there, unless it's direct from Minerales y Metales del Oriente or a direct buyer from them.
As far as I know, it's unheated, unless your referring to in-ground natural heating....LOL...then it becomes "six of one, half a dozen the other"...LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

To answer your question, Jason, I am referring to citrine created by human intervention.
Amethysts treat at temperatures of about 390 C to 450 C. When heated to 575°C amethyst will become completely colorless.

With a Bunsen burner temperature of flame can reach 1560 °C. and a candle at 829 °C. The heating of amethyst → citrine is mentioned in the 1609 publication of Boetius de Boot named Gemmarum et Lapidum Historia and probably was known long before that.

The Anahi Mine in Bolivia is one of the few places in the world which produce naturally occurring citrine.
GIA wrote:
The Anahí mine, Bolivia, has produced large amounts of amethyst, citrine, and amethyst-citrine for the gem market. Field and experimental investigations conclusively show that the amethyst-citrine color combination in quartz crystals from Anahí is natural and does not result from laboratory treatment. The unusual color patterns probably result from the uncommon geologic conditions under which these quartz crystals formed, although the crystal chemical properties controlling the sector color zoning still elude explanation.

Fully Described in this article:
The Anahí Ametrine Mine, Bolivia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:11 am 
Platinum Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
To answer your question, Jason, I am referring to citrine created by human intervention.
Amethysts treat at temperatures of about 390 C to 450 C. When heated to 575°C amethyst will become completely colorless.

With a Bunsen burner temperature of flame can reach 1560 °C. and a candle at 829 °C. The heating of amethyst → citrine is mentioned in the 1609 publication of Boetius de Boot named Gemmarum et Lapidum Historia and probably was known long before that.

The Anahi Mine in Bolivia is one of the few places in the world which produce naturally occurring citrine.
GIA wrote:
The Anahí mine, Bolivia, has produced large amounts of amethyst, citrine, and amethyst-citrine for the gem market. Field and experimental investigations conclusively show that the amethyst-citrine color combination in quartz crystals from Anahí is natural and does not result from laboratory treatment. The unusual color patterns probably result from the uncommon geologic conditions under which these quartz crystals formed, although the crystal chemical properties controlling the sector color zoning still elude explanation.

Fully Described in this article:
The Anahí Ametrine Mine, Bolivia

I apologize, Miss B, i didn't read your post right and took it's meaning a different way. Must have been distracted. I thought you had said Anahi was suspect in it's citrine being heated or what have you. I was so far off my post makes no sense and I am sorry dear!
I couldn't grasp why you were not on my page, but it was me who was way off base...LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

That's OK. 8) It just made me research how easy it is to make an amethyst into a citrine and reinforce (to myself) that most all citrine we see is likely heat treated amethyst.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm 

Heated amethyst or irradiated rock crystal. The variety of hues that can be prosuced that way are amazing, at least according to Liccini.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

:)
Ametrine is known to make a person feel encouraged by having control over his life and stimulating creativity. Amertrine is a natural gemstone so it recommended if it is unheated .
I may recommend the best ever natural jewelry with trendy and unique designs in a wide range .
Removed by admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 pm 

Gemexi wrote:
:)
I may recommend the best ever natural jewelry with trendy and unique designs in a wide range .
Removed by admin

Lol, I guess you actually may not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:40 pm 
Gold Member

You guys really crack me up sometimes. :lol: