August 13-15—East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show; Better Living Center, West Springfield, Massachusetts
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:31 pm 
Hi I would like to ask about sending rubies to the UK. These are uncut raw unworked gems, a gift from a friend who works with precious stones. They are good quality but not the best. I hope this is the right forum, I wasn't sure where to post.
Basically, I would like to know whether they are subject to tax and how to send and detail the package
Many thanks for the help


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:22 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 20857
Location: San Francisco
How many do you wish to send?
Where are you located (country of origin)?
Are the rubies from Myanmar?
Are you posting to a business or individual?
What would you be insuring the parcel for?
How would you describe the contents on the postage label?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:29 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1251
Generally rough gems with a certificate of origin from the Country where it was mined are duty and tax free.

Be advised that in some cases there are embargos from certain countries as has been the case off and on with Myanmar in recent years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:45 pm 
Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
How many do you wish to send?
Where are you located (country of origin)?
Are the rubies from Myanmar?
Are you posting to a business or individual?
What would you be insuring the parcel for?
How would you describe the contents on the postage label?



Amount about 2kg
Not from Myanmar
Posting to myself, individual
Not sure about insuring parxel, not sure of the value. Maybe 200gbp
Re your last question, how would you suggest that I describe the contents?

Thank you for your reply


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:59 pm 
1bwana1 wrote:
Generally rough gems with a certificate of origin from the Country where it was mined are duty and tax free.

Be advised that in some cases there are embargos from certain countries as has been the case off and on with Myanmar in recent years.


Thank you


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:44 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 832
Location: San Marcos, CA
Anonymously wrote:
Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
How many do you wish to send?
Where are you located (country of origin)?
Are the rubies from Myanmar?
Are you posting to a business or individual?
What would you be insuring the parcel for?
How would you describe the contents on the postage label?



Amount about 2kg
Not from Myanmar
Posting to myself, individual
Not sure about insuring parxel, not sure of the value. Maybe 200gbp
Re your last question, how would you suggest that I describe the contents?

Thank you for your reply

You answered some of the questions but not all, it is coming across as evasive in my opinion.

Based on your answers your in the UK, which makes you the importer/recipient and an individual and your friend is the exporter/shipper.
You never answered where the exporter/shipper is located Country of Origin. Like already stated many countries have embargos on what, how much can be exported or imported, every country can and is most likely to have some similarity in particular items. With that most countries and including the UK will have a tariff or duties tax that will be imposed on you or the exporter based on the (CI)Commercial Invoice declared at time of shipment. With out knowing the exporters COO (Country of Origin) it is extremely hard to tell you how or advise on how to handle it. UPS, FedEx. DHL all have in house Customs Brokers to use for these purposes.

You have the basic starting information.

Item= Gemstone Rough or Unworked Gemstone Stone (Check your UK Harmonized Tariff) here in the States they fall in Chapter 71
(Chapter 71 : Natural or cultured pearls, precious or semiprecious stones, precious metals, metals clad with precious metal, and articles thereof; imitation jewellery; coin). You have to remember that there is a 98% chance your package will be inspected, x-rayed, and even possibly opened by customs.

Weight of product 2,000gms of 2kgs, will probably require a piece count as well on the CI

Value is your stated value, insurance is based on your stated value.

I suspect your looking for someone to advise you on how to avoid the importing fees the UK is going to assess on the transaction, even if you were to hand carry these stones through the international port of entry you will have to declare them for taxing purposes.

I can't imagine that where ever you or your friend are shipping these from, there is likely a FedEx or UPS office that can help with filling out the CI and in my experience with FedEx someone will have to sign the CI and state who is responsible for duties and taxes.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:21 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1251
Actually I think importing rough gemstones to the UK like most countries is duty free. The theory behind this is that they are a raw material and used for manufacturing in the UK so create employment opportunities.

If I remember correctly you still have to pay VAT tax at the 17.5% rate on the invoice when you bought them. You may be able to recover that when you sell and export the cut stones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:29 pm 
glhays wrote:
Anonymously wrote:
Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
How many do you wish to send?
Where are you located (country of origin)?
Are the rubies from Myanmar?
Are you posting to a business or individual?
What would you be insuring the parcel for?
How would you describe the contents on the postage label?



Amount about 2kg
Not from Myanmar
Posting to myself, individual
Not sure about insuring parxel, not sure of the value. Maybe 200gbp
Re your last question, how would you suggest that I describe the contents?

Thank you for your reply

You answered some of the questions but not all, it is coming across as evasive in my opinion.

Based on your answers your in the UK, which makes you the importer/recipient and an individual and your friend is the exporter/shipper.
You never answered where the exporter/shipper is located Country of Origin. Like already stated many countries have embargos on what, how much can be exported or imported, every country can and is most likely to have some similarity in particular items. With that most countries and including the UK will have a tariff or duties tax that will be imposed on you or the exporter based on the (CI)Commercial Invoice declared at time of shipment. With out knowing the exporters COO (Country of Origin) it is extremely hard to tell you how or advise on how to handle it. UPS, FedEx. DHL all have in house Customs Brokers to use for these purposes.

You have the basic starting information.

Item= Gemstone Rough or Unworked Gemstone Stone (Check your UK Harmonized Tariff) here in the States they fall in Chapter 71
(Chapter 71 : Natural or cultured pearls, precious or semiprecious stones, precious metals, metals clad with precious metal, and articles thereof; imitation jewellery; coin). You have to remember that there is a 98% chance your package will be inspected, x-rayed, and even possibly opened by customs.

Weight of product 2,000gms of 2kgs, will probably require a piece count as well on the CI

Value is your stated value, insurance is based on your stated value.

I suspect your looking for someone to advise you on how to avoid the importing fees the UK is going to assess on the transaction, even if you were to hand carry these stones through the international port of entry you will have to declare them for taxing purposes.

I can't imagine that where ever you or your friend are shipping these from, there is likely a FedEx or UPS office that can help with filling out the CI and in my experience with FedEx someone will have to sign the CI and state who is responsible for duties and taxes.



I am grateful for the information but I find your form offensive. I am not looking for someone to help me avoid paying import duty. I am trying to find out exactly what the import will be and how to go about sending them, to try to figure out whether it is worth it or even possible. Not that I need to explain myself to you. Your judgements are unfounded and also you do not have any right to accuse me anyway.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:35 pm 
1bwana1 wrote:
Actually I think importing rough gemstones to the UK like most countries is duty free. The theory behind this is that they are a raw material and used for manufacturing in the UK so create employment opportunities.

If I remember correctly you still have to pay VAT tax at the 17.5% rate on the invoice when you bought them. You may be able to recover that when you sell and export the cut stones.


Thank you very much. I had read something along those lines but I also read the opposite as well. I have been trawling through the internet but haven't found a concrete answer.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:25 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 20857
Location: San Francisco
Leave your aggrievement at the door,Anonymously.
You wanted information and you are getting it.

I think 1bwana1 gave you good information. How would I describe the contents? "Corundum mineral specimens for geological research". But, that's just me.

BUT, I would insure them properly. If you declare that the items have minimal value and they are lost, you are left stung. If you declare what they are worth to you and you have to pay a wee bit of VAT, that is simply the cost of doing business.

Poster on Mindat wrote:
I've been in contact with HMRC's Tariff Classification Service, and here's what they tell me.


a) Mineral specimens fall into category 9705000090, and do not attract Import Duty.


b) All postal packages coming into the UK from outside the EU attract VAT if their intrinsic value, including the packaging and postage, is over £18. However, the rate at which VAT is levied varies. In the case of mineral samples, it's 5%, not 17.5%.


c) Depending on what kind of postage has been requested by the sender, it may not be possible for the receiver to avoid having the package delivered by a courier service such as Parcelforce, and having to stump up whatever they charge.


d) Receiving a letter from the courier detailing Duty and VAT charges may indicate that the courier has already paid the stated sum to HMRC. They will then pass on the charges, correct or otherwise, to the receiver, who can either cough up or face having the package returned to the sender.


e) If, as in this present instance, HMRC have levied incorrect Duty and VAT charges, the receiver should keep all the paperwork which accompanies the package, and ask HMRC to refund the difference between the correct Duty/Tax due and the incorrect amount paid. To do this, one needs a Repayment Claim Form, available from 0845 010 9000. Be prepared to queue, and I hope you really like listening to Vivaldi.


I suspect that this case was triggered by the appearance of the word "aquamarine" on the package manifest, leading someone to assume it contained gem-quality stones for use in jewellery. Following wise advice from the above contibutors, I'll ask suppliers to use "Fragile mineral specimens for geological research" and "No commercial value" from now on. Painful lesson.
26th Apr 2006 02:01 UTC


Post is older, but I doubt things have changed much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:54 am 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 832
Location: San Marcos, CA
Thanks Barbra, this post is essentially what I was trying to get across. Nobody is going to fill out the documents other than the exporter or shipper for this poster. It is stated these are rubies by the poster and in that description most customs will see them as gemstones. Yes I have moved many gems, rough and cut globally even to and from the UK and as long as it is a commercial transaction money becomes the controlling factor to most countries. Red stones for personal use as samples or for further processing comes to mind.
Anonymously , do not hold your breath waiting for some apologies, based on your presumption of something you feel or find accusatorial. Read between the lines and you will find the information you seek.
You just can't help anybody these days. Usually it's my form though.
☹️
Barbra's description is perfect as well. We have had many parcels held for further clarification before they are released, one thing I might add is "Red" .

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:45 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 20857
Location: San Francisco
or "slightly reddish brownish purple"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:37 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 832
Location: San Marcos, CA
We used to carry a line of Whitby Jet jewelry, and moving it around for production from and to the UK when the shipments may or may not have included accent stones and rough for cutting that was not WJ was always controversial when it was like what Steve mentioned where did it originate and what documentation do you have to back that claim and then where is it returning to. Many factors play into moving the industry we work in to avoid extra fees and taxes as goods are being moved around the world.

Here I find answering the question posed, would be like asking how much will it cost me to fly to the UK with a stop in Brazil, Australia and onward to London. Most likely a good travel agent can answer these questions and if it is even possible, I would think that the travel agent is going to ask where are you departing from, how many bags, do you have a passport and many other questions before they can give you an adequate quote. Hence the reasons why I stated it came off evasive to me when not providing the pertinent information to advise. As well I do not need to explain myself to this poster, but I will so others who stumble across this post do not see my posts here as being "WAD" for calling out the obvious.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sending gems to the UK
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:23 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 20857
Location: San Francisco
That comment seemed a little arrogant to me as well.
I doubt he (she) will come back.

But most importantly, I think the information provided will help others who have a similar question.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock