New Mineral Named After GIA’s John Koivula
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: NOBEL WIN FOR "IMPOSSIBLE" 5-FOLD SYMMETRY QUASICRYSTAL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:23 am 
Platinum Member

This discovery forced a redefinition of the term "crystal." Fascinating tale!

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/10/discoverer-of-impossible-crystal.html?ref=hp

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject: Re: NOBEL WIN FOR "IMPOSSIBLE" 5-FOLD SYMMETRY QUASICRYSTAL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:57 am 
Gold Member

Seriously reminds me of fractals but there is no mention of them that I have seen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:18 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

ROM wrote:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/10/discoverer-of-impossible-crystal.html?ref=hp

It is also interesting to look at the fact, that although about thirty different lab-made metal mixtures found to build the quasi xls, there was one single find of a natural one in the Urals. One small grain of a Aluminum based metal mineral found there, showed the structures. (No exact data, because I heard that in the radio today and just wrote down what I remembered)

As said: Fascinating!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:22 am 
Platinum Member

Nikolaus Lackner wrote:
It is also interesting to look at the fact, that although about thirty different lab-made metal mixtures found to build the quasi xls, there was one single find of a natural one in the Urals. One small grain of a Aluminum based metal mineral found there, showed the structures. (No exact data, because I heard that in the radio today and just wrote down what I remembered)

As said: Fascinating!

Nikolaus: The discovery of natural quasicrystals is mentioned in the article, next to last paragraph. There's also a link to an abstract: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/324/5932/1306.short

It's apparently opened up an entirely new branch of science.

www.artcutgems.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:00 am 
Site Admin

This reminds me of a strange piece of semi crystalline glass I got from a rough diamond dealer in Ghana. It was barrel shaped, colorless and when viewed down the "C-axis" it showed a distinct, but faint, five spoked appearance with a pentagon in the center. They where called Devils Eyes and supposed to give bad fortune. I have looked for it all over for a long time but it is vanished... As I regarded it to be glass I was not especially careful to where I put it. But better loose it than keep it and get bad fortune :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:52 am 
ROM wrote:

That was a very interesting link, Rick.

The longer I hang around here, the surer I become that one is never truly going to get to hear 'the music of the spheres' as they impact on gemmology without some solid grounding in solid state physics. In my case, this means taking myself back to school, as what used to be called 'Physical Chemistry'' and I parted company at a basic level and many decades ago.

So, courtesy of Amazon's second-hand book market, arrived here today a copy of Kittel's 600-page 'Introduction to Solid State Physics'. This excellent book is a standard text-book aimed at post-grads who need a grounding in this field. A quick skim through last night suggests that it is just what I need, It begins with a detailed explanation of that crystal symmetry and phenomena that underlie every aspect of scientific gemmology. In particular, it is a primer for those (like me) who wish to look closely at the magnetic properties of crystals. Absorbing this book's content also seems to me a fair start-point to a better comprehension of the spectrometric study of gems at the atomic level.

Some here doubtless need no introduction to this standart text. For others and who wish to get a firm handle on advanced gemmological techniques, it should bring a sparkle to the eye. A Google on Amazon let's one look at the contents and some sample pages. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-So ... =1-1-spell

Second-hand and in good condition, a copy of this expensive book cost me USD 5.00 :D The best value I've obtained for USD 5 for quite a while.... Do take a look, if not already familiar with it, and if you are interested in the magnetometric and spectrometric aspects of gemmology.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:47 pm 
Platinum Member

Great link, Rick! Thanks for posting
It was a good read