CIBJO releases Gemmological Special Report: considers process of separating measurable facts from opinion; See Gemological Articles below.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Findings on my India Trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:22 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I am just back from a 10 days trip to India. It was a great trip and I learned much on the India gemstone and jewelry market.

What amazed me on my arrival at Delhi is that almost everyone were wearing some type of jewelry - from the very rich to the very poor people( I actually saw some beggars in the street wearing 2 or 3 gold rings set with coral and other semi-precious stones). This is so because jewelry is worn mainly for the astrological purposes in India. And for this reason, there are big demands in India for jewelry all year around. This huge demand also boosts the stone cutting and jewelry making industry.

But as the stones are for astrological purposes mainly, only 5ct plus stones are the hottest. I appreciate the India ethnic jewelry designs as they have wonderful arrangements with the colors of stones and gold, silver metals. In Jaipur, I visited quite a number of cutters, dealers and there are thousands of them. Jaipur is maybe still the largest cutting center for emeralds and you can find emeralds from all over the world mines in all cost ranges. Sapphires, rubies are from Bangkok and Chantaburi and the market flooded with glassed filled rubies and be treated sapphires in all sizes. As long as the color is evident and sizes over 5cts, stones can be sold here. But watch when you try to sell there, prices are so low that you have to be prepared for a hard negotiation. They don't care much about the treatments and inclusions as long as colors are OK and prices low. There are also large amounts of semi-precious stones cut in Jaipur.

The key in the jewelry business is: make jewelry using the lowest cost stones with visible good colors(no matter whether the color is natural or treated)with correct ethnic designs and engage in retail selling. Thus, the jewelry businessmen are working at the two most valuable ends of the value chain - that of low cost production and that of retailing thus to command the highest margin possible.

Just a short description from what I can remember. Will write more and post some pictures later.

BTW, food is as colorful as the gemstones in India.

Alex
www.china-sapphire.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Alex.
Looking forward to you future updates.