January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chanthaburi Trip
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:15 am 
Established Member

Hi I live 1/2 in Sun City AZ and 1/2 in Thailand. I am new to Gemology and have been grinding cabs in AZ. I discovered that Thailand has lots of stuff of interest to a student. I am going to chanthaburi for a week to look around.

Does anyone have any interesting things I can look at or investigate while there. I was warned in the beginners forum not to buy until I was better informed. Thank Gerry

Post subject: Re: Chanthaburi Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:42 am 

Hi Gerry,

If you are worried about what you will be shown, go to one of the booths where you pay someone to sit with you and look over your stones. They will make sure everything you buy is ok and if you go and get it tested later on and it is not as described, they will refund you.

Go and have fun, talk to lots of people.

Check out my little blog about y trips there:
http://sedagems.com/my-first-gemstone-b ... -thailand/

Post subject: Re: Chanthaburi Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:28 am 
Valued Contributor

Tndiehard wrote:
Does anyone have any interesting things I can look at or investigate while there. I was warned in the beginners forum not to buy until I was better informed. Thank Gerry

My friend Gary Braun and I visited a couple of years back. It is a very cool part of the world.

The advice from TreasureGems is pretty solid. Work with a broker in their booth. It is almost the opposite from going to a gem show ... rather than walking around looking for gems, the gems come to you.

When we visited I was looking for blue zircons. The broker posted a message in his booth requesting blue zircons in the 5 - 10 carat range. (At least I hope that is what it said as I don't read or speak Thai) ;-) Soon there was a stream of runners with zircons and a variety of other stones as well. We saw a bunch of nice material but there are definitely synthetics around.

I also purchased some interesting quartz carvings and other non gem items. These were some of my favorite buys from the trip.

I think I still have the broker's card at home if you like. He was very fair to us and I would definitely work with him in the future.

Wish I was heading there! You will have a blast.

- STEVO