CIBJO releases Gemmological Special Report: considers process of separating measurable facts from opinion; See Gemological Articles below.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Thai language instruction
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:07 pm 
Gold Member

Hi guys
anybody have a line on where it is possible to receive Thai language instruction (other than thailand)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:10 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Hi Wolf,

If you want classroom instruction, try here: http://www.berlitz.us/?s_kwcid=TC-1899- ... ools-S-1-1

Want to do it yourself, try here: http://www.rosettastone.com/en/offer/googlepage6/esp

Here's one in Canada: (Couldn't find a website)

Continuing Education Program, Langara College. , North Vancouver., Canada
A short introduction to Thai language
Level taught: Beginner
Hours : 20 hours in 10 weeks
Coverage: it is intended for people who are planning to travel in Thailand but want more than the usual tourist experience, for people who are planning to live or work in the Kingdom, or for people who would like to take the full credit course, but are not sure.
Contact address: Jim Placzek jplaczek@langara.bc.ca

Hope these help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:37 pm 
Gold Member

Hi Mo Do:

Thanks for the help looks like the Roseta stone site is the most likely ... the college course in Vancouver is about 2000 miles away *shrug* *chuckle* if I went that far might as well sign on a "tramp steamer" and go the rest of the way to Thailand :lol:

Hmmm nope think I'll learn the language first :)

Once again thanks MoDo the heads up is greatly appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:53 pm 

I have the Rosetta Stone demo CD-ROM ... the way they teach is remarkable! One day I hope to be able to afford the real set :P . Oh, don't forget to check eBay for people selling their programs. Many sell off the beginning CDs to help pay for the next level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:11 pm 
Gold Member

*shaking head*

Mo Do you never cease to amaze me ... I prowl e-bay all the time and checking for CD's for sale never occurred to me .. *bow in Mo Do's direction* Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:12 am 

*returning bow* Douitashimashite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:58 am 
Gold Member

hi Mo Do

*bows* perhaps I should have said Supashi-Bo or Merushi

Or more in keeping with the language I wish to learn Khaawp Khoon Khrap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:36 am 

Wolf, if you are anywhere near Ottawa, you could check with the Thai embassy too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:04 am 
Gold Member

hi 'nuck

I'm about 12 hrs from ottawa by car .. about as far as you can get and still be canadian .. not american :)

Michigan is about a mile away .. but yes I will take your suggestion and contact the thai delegaton and see what they suggest.

I would really like to learn the language because in a couple of years I'm going to thailand and I figure it would be easier to get around in the country if I speak the language and who knows I might even get a little better deals from the dealers :)

I found an english to thai site that has sound bites of the word or phrase being translated. the language seems to be tonal in nature not as bad as mandrin but you would have to be careful you didn't ask to see the dealers daughter instead of the gem you wanted to look at. (ah no I don't speak mandrid, but my neighbour does :) )

Anyway thanks for the heads up about the embassy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:58 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Sawasdee Khrap Khun Wolf!

My advise would be to find some Thai people around the place you live and get some course...
I lived 6 years in Thailand and if you want to be understood by people there you will see that the main challenge will be the tones and to master that there is no way: You need the help of some native Thai speaker.

Chok dee na Khap!

www.fieldgemology.org
www.conservationgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:41 am 
Valued Contributor

I think it is a fantastic idea to learn another language that would benefit you in the gem trade - I am toying with the idea myself, either thai or mandarin - it is just trying to fit it all in! And with a memory like mine, learning a language is like rocket science!!

Will you just be on a gem buying trip wolf or a vacation too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:49 am 
Gold Member

hi lucy

The Chantiburi (sp?) market is only held on Friday and Sat till about noon (on Sat), so that means if you are there for more than 1 market you have 5 days in between to enjoy what I have been told is a very beautiful and friendly country. So Yup gonna enjoy the place to the best of my ability :).

I hope to avoid the Bangkok market as the dealers there buy in Chantiburi anyway and just raise their prices when they resell (sort of a tourist trap)

Best of luck if you decide to learn a new language. I have been told that thai is much easier to learn than Mandarin (in fact Mandarin is one of the most difficult languages to learn (or so I have been told)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hmm, maybe I'll consider Thai first then! Difficult and blonde dont mix too well ya know! It is such a shame that the british school system doesn't push languages harder, I really wish I had learnt one there - other than the 2 french phrases I know!

Shame you are not going sooner, I would have loved to tag along to Chantaburi with someone who know's what they are looking for!

Anyone else off to Chantaburi and want a bag carrier?? Im just across the road in the Philippines and would love the chance to look at the stones there before I leave - preferably without getting ripped off though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:11 am 
Gold Member

Hi Lucy:

Be very thankful you weren't raised in the Canadian school system. You spend 4 years learning Parisian French. Of course Quebecers don't speak Parisian French they speak french that hasn't changed much since the 1600s. Lol Oh well into each life a little rain must fall.

Sounds like you are having fun in the philipenes (sp?)

Ya it will be about 2 years before I get to thailand ... but on the other hand I intend to put those 2 years to good use :)

Tell hubby to get a job in toronto, ontario .. .you would both be happier there. And you could probably even get a work permit :) Toronto is .. hmmm .. like a laidback NYC but nicer lol

Oh and the beer is cheaper and stronger than in the states too lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:30 am 
Valued Contributor

Wolf, we would both love to work in Canda, if we got offered an oppertunity there we would jump at the chance - our dogs would love it too! I think Toronto and Niagra falls will be one of the first trips we take from New York!

Hmm, in some of the private schools in the UK they still really push Latin! I think it is easier to have dogs now instead of kids :D

The Philippines is a wonderful place, apart from the corruption - there was a recent study in Hong Kong showing the Philippines as the most corrupt country in asia - therefore probably the world!! The rich get much richer and the poor poorer - but such a friendly place.

What are your plans then for the next couple of years - other than learning Thai? BTW let me know which route you take on that, I would be interested to hear how it goes, I wont get the chance to start learning for another 6 months.