All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pursuing Gemological Training
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

I got this email this morning.
Thoughts?
Quote:
Hi guys

I'm about to start a diploma in gemology at the Gemological Association of Australia.

I just want to ask about the industry, is it possible to make a living as a newly graduated gemmologist?

Are their many career options in gemology and the gem trade? Are they more side gigs are full time career type work?

Is it a growing industry?

Is it a fulfilling career in your opinion?

Thank you for your time

Post subject: Re: Pursuing Gemological Training
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

I think gemology is something to pursue out of passion, not necessarily the best direction for making a living wage after graduation.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Self employed or working for a gem/jewelry related company.

Look at some of the Want Ads in your area for gemological positions. What are the salaries offered?

One of the major problems I see in gemological education is that students get NO training in using the sophisticated spectrographic instrumentation which is now essential in proper identifcation.

Post subject: Re: Pursuing Gemological Training
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 pm 
Established Member

I actually agree with you Barbara, I’m a young fairly new graduate, and I know for a fact I can’t make a solid go at life on just Gemology at this point. I studied appraisal to hopefully be able to build myself something doing what I’m far more passionate about, but in all reality, there’s a reason I still have a full time job as well.

I also discovered my passion for it before training - I got a job at a jewellery store in sales shortly out of high school, as I was trying to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up. Turns out I fell in love with jewellery and gems and started following that passion. Even if the majority of my time spent with Gemology ends up being hobbyist more than anything, I’m okay with that, because I love it.

I must say, if I manage to build something decent out of it, I’ll be beyond thrilled. I am in an area where those having studied this are fairly few and far between. So I’ll continue with what I’m doing for now. My heart still skips a beat when I see an interesting inclusion in any stone or I have the pleasure of getting to examine a higher tier diamond. I think that’s a good thing. :)