CIBJO releases Gemmological Special Report: considers process of separating measurable facts from opinion; See Gemological Articles below.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Is gemstone healing esoteric hocus-pocus?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

I would like to raise a topic that is rarely discussed in gemology, but yet is an important motivation for millions of people to own gemstones: Healing.

I will briefly outline the two main streams in gemstone healing…

1. Astrology / Mythology
2. Color Therapy

… and then turn to the ‘why’ and the question whether it works.

1. Astrology considers any person to be born under very specific planetary forces. These forces make people vulnerable to certain mental and physical illnesses.

Mythology reports that a gemstone can balance those planetary forces and enable the wearer to live a healthier happier life, and thus develop positively.

While often belittle in the modern West, astrology remains a strong force in the East. In fact, in Asia no big decision in family or politics is made without consulting an astrologer. Gemstones are here always worn with an eye on astrology, because it is firmly believed that a wrong gem will inevitably bring misfortune and sickness to the owner.

East or West, it is remarkable that all ancient cultures, Christian and pagan, have used gemstones to protect and heal.

An explanation for this timeless and cross cultural phenomenon may be found in the second approach:

2. Color Therapy.

Though color is also an important topic in astrology, color therapy has gained a standing on its own. Most likely because it is better accessible for the complementary scientific mind.

A color therapist analysis a person’s psychological landscape and recommends a certain color to overcome inner blockades or to strengthen weak energies.

While astrology remains beyond science, color therapy can be seen as firmly routed in modern anthropology and has long been the object of empirical studies:

Blue for instance is said to promote logical, structural thinking, while red tends to initiate emotions, and green shows a calming effect on the mind.

These general color attributes are easy to comprehend, though they might vary from person to person.

However, it is an undeniable fact that color influences humans.

Why?

As so often, we don’t know.

We have yet to understand the connection between color and the human brain.

The best explanation I have come across goes along these lines:

a) Matter is not as solid as it appears to us. In fact, matter can also be understood as energy stored in particles.

b) Energy reveals itself in different wave forms such as heat, light or radiation.

c) Color too is a wave form. (A gemstone may thus be seen as stored energy -matter- of a certain wave length.)

d) Human emotions and physical processes are based on energy which is also transferred in wave forms.

This is as much as I dare to try to understand.

The fact that gemstones combine the most durable matter on earth and the most intense colors, may explain their universal influence and their position in mythology.

There are many other theories, some are very esoteric, some are very adventurous, and some are pretty much voodoo stuff.

Does it work?

Yes, but in my opinion it must be said that wearing a certain gemstone alone does not heal or change anybody. Change and healing do not come from the outside, but from within.

All the positive reports I have received came from people who were honestly committed to change their lifestyles for the better. A stone may support a disciplined and focused self development, but it will never replace it.

Also, successful gemstone therapy is mostly combined with other traditional healing concept such as meditation, yoga or acupuncture.

Thus embedded in a spiritual learning process, I have realized that gemstones are a powerful healing tool. As personal symbols of an enhanced self-perception and healthier body awareness they do actually help people to progress.

So far the basic basics.

My questions:

Has anybody here used gems for health issues?

Does the equation ‘matter = energy = waveform = color’ make sense?

Is it all esoteric hocus-pocus, and at best self-fulfilling-prophecies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:38 am 
Valued Contributor

Edward,

I come from the land of astrology.

But one thing I realize is that here every astrologer recommends a different stone for the same person. Now this is where I am confused as well.

Still, I cannot argue, because this is a field I have no knowledge about. Moreover, a sizeable chunk of the gem market here is based on astrology, not jewellery. :)

Sometimes it so happens that astrologers try to take over the role of gemologists and start giving really s..p.d "scientific" facts about stones that the whole thing goes negative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:52 am 
Valued Contributor

Apollo,

Do people change their astrologer frequently? I thought not.

Also, many come from an astrologer with the most lavish gemstone recommendations.

I have daily requests of people who have been told to wear ‘untreated blue sapphire of excellent clarity and color of minimum seven rattu’. (1 rattu equals 0.9 carat)

When they hear some price tags they drop the idea of healing. That is a pity and does harm to people, because they feel that healing is not affordable for them (which is of course nonsense).

It seems a good advice to be wary of an astrologer who also sells gemstones. That is like a general practitioner working for a pharmaceutical company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Andre Breton once said, when he was defending the philosophy and politics of dadaism and surrealism, "Reality is whatever you believe it to be."

If one believes that gems and minerals CAN aid in curing disease, relieving stress, bestowing luck and prosperity and ultimately improving the quality of life, indeed they can!
I would be very interested in hearing accounts dealing with gem/mineral therapy, chakra healing etc.
Now in San Francisco, it is very popular with the Asian community to wear gem bracelets, beads strung on stretchy string. (These are the beads that one picks up at the gem shows for a few dollars a strand. ) They are sold for 10-15x that in the herb shops, all endowed with health benefits. When I take the bus to work, I notice the gem bead bracelets on almost every wrist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:49 pm 
Valued Contributor

Cant say whether we believe in crystal healing or not - just dont know. I do use divining to help work out where to dig so I suppose I cant be regarded as a skeptic but healing ??

Anyway, we just sold some lower grade sapphire of small size to someone in the UK solely for this purpose. Apparently sapphire is a "master crystal" - dont know what this means - and they are making "gem heads" - also dont know what these are - to help with a range of complaints. They have a benefactor who is trying to set up a healing centre where people can go for treatment at a cost they can afford.

An interesting topic anyway. I would be very skeptical if the astrologer was trying to steer me toward something very expensive - these people were claiming very good results with small stones that were not perfect (not treated in any way but did not need to be flawless they said).

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:00 pm 
Valued Contributor

As far as my customers are concerned, the most important issue for them is clarity and that the stones are untreated.

I only recommend stones for Jyotish purposes if they are no more than 'slightly included' (which means on our scale: 'inclusions visible only with 10x lens).

Barbra, true, of course, that without believing in it, nothing will help (that might be said even for many 'chemical' medicine). Body and mind are a most amazing unity, and we just begin to understand their deep connection.

I do have accounts of clients who cured complaints ranging from bad dreams to problems with their partners. However, the healing is always part of a bigger 'program' addressing the issue.

When a couple for example realizes they have a problem, and they actually manage to speak about it, and then decides to go for a healer who comes out with a gemstone therapy, I feel the most difficult part of talking about the issue openly is already done.

Miracles then happen, but they need help.

Sure thing, one can not buy five carat of creativity. A hessonite might help to be creative but it won't be creative for you.

Personally I have found it a very gratifying aspect of my work, when I get feedback that people not only like the stones, but also feel they have been helped in their personal development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:23 am 
Valued Contributor

The biggest hurdle for me is when somebody asks me ... "can u get me a good quality ruby not less than 7 rattis? My astrologer told me I have to wear it."
(1 ratti = 180 mg, I believe it's the same as Edward's "rattu")
Now can anyone advice me on how to answer this? :shock:

Same question comes with sapphires (yellow n blue)....

And this comes from the group of customers not willing to pay more than 500 USD.

I do agree with Barbra... we need to have belief in the first place. And there r astrologers who r really good. They predict even the right time and place to wear. Sometimes they want a red inclusion in a blue sapphire to be worn at 11 a.m. after certain prayers... I have seen people satisfied with their recommendations. It was when I pooped this question that all astrologers recommend different stones, that this guy got really bugged with me !!!!

I believe that if faith is there, then healing naturally comes as part of the process. After all, who are we to question our very sources of livelihood? :wink:

Post subject: esoteric healing etc..
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:01 am 
Platinum Member

Nice topic.. very big...

So, if you have ever taken a chi gung class, experienced energy work, had a reiki session, or had acupuncture, then you've tasted the sensation of the bodies energy systems...

While in my opinion, gemstones may have an effect on the body, most rely on placebo effect. Not to be dismissed, it's extremely powerful and not well understood..

What I find interesting, is some of the objects that are "empowered"... I inherited a few old (koto) 16th century samurai swords. I also have some contemporary ones. I wondered why that samurai sword had such a different presence and feel than that machine made ones. Then I went to the Met in NYC and spent an hour mesmerized by that 8 inch tanto (knife) that is in the 3 foot lexan case, just the bare blade. It was perfect. There was nothing you could add or take away from that form. It actually had the appearance of a bar of frozen light wrapped in steel. What was rather more remarkable was the sense of the "aura" or energy field that extended 2-3 feet around the blade. Why is it that artists depict diamonds with a glow around them? You don't see it with your normal eyes, but when you see a drawing you go "right, that's there.."

Also, with some of the empowered tibetan ritual objects you can sometimes just "feel" the juice in them. Then the lama taps you on the top of the head with it, and you float down the aisle..

Gemstones seem to be able to hold a very strong energetic charge, like a capacitor if they are charged correctly. They seem to do it better than most objects. The person doing the healing with them should understand how to charge them or make them more than the default setting.

My experience, coming from years of Tai Chi practice, where sensing the other person's Chi or energy, is that it is possible. I haven't run into many who can do that, but when it's done, it's pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, after St. Augustine got finished with the revision of Christian principals, that awareness was lost in mainstream western culture and has not been recovered. I'm sure our asian friends here have a much different cultural perspective, and what I'm saying won't sound so strange to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:16 am 
Valued Contributor

Jleb, if gemstones are more “empowered”, have an energetic aura or are better chargeable than normal matter, why do you think that their healing relies on placebo effect?

I feel we just can’t grasp the connection between form and energy rationally, and may-be we never will, so we are irritated and most just dismiss it as nonsense.

But we do feel the different energies of matter or form, at least with some mental training. (Some need to take acid to see it for the first time, but Tai Chi also does the trick.)

It also seems that quantum physics is circling around the same topic. Some scientists predict that we will one day actually discover the true nature of those ‘connections’ or ‘energies’ that we today only feel.

At the end, science might confirm what religions and healers have been saying for a long time: There is more to the world than the visible.

Until then, though we don’t know why, it remains true that not every gem has an energy field. Some gems seem immediately ‘dead’ to me. Even in former days, when I wasn’t aware of treatments, I felt clearly that no aura or energy emitted from some stones, while others immediately caught my senses.

I can’t remember who it was; somebody reported on a forum that a healer walked into his gem shop and hands-on picked the untreated sapphires out of a parcel.

I had a similar experience when we did Reiki on our stones. The Reiki-women (though she knew nothing of gems, and we didn’t say anything) sensed a different energy level between treated and untreated stones.

In fact, the energy emitted by untreated stones was so strong, that she nearly fainted sometimes. But when we smuggled a cooked sapphire in, she hesitated, looked up and asked: ‘What is this?’

Post subject: heated stones...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:22 pm 
Platinum Member

That was very interesting about the heated stones ed.. I'll have to check that.. I know that lab grown material is a blank slate.

The reason I considered it placebo is that the energetic level in a "charged" stone is an order of magnitude different than one that is not. Although that is very interesting about the reiki healer.

I think it really depends upon the consciousness of the person using the stone.. If they have the sensistivity, then that will be apparent. If they don't, then it will probably be placebo.

I do a lot of science. I've just had to compartmentalize my scientific mind vs my spiritual mind. There isn't a lot of cross over regarding energy, although the biofield center at the university of arizona, tucson is doing some remarkable work. I believe that , like x-rays, until there is a transducer that can convert bio-fields into measureable electromagnetic radiation, there isn't going to be any reproducible empirical evidence that will pass the standards set by scientific inquiry.

Putting on the other hat.. when you fold space time using meditational/spiritual techniques, you create a little bubble of "eternity" that can hold a charge/spirit. When you do that, the object is seriously empowered. This is what the shinto smiths/priests did when they used the five elements to forge a sword and then invoked a kami(spirit entity) during the quench. If you got it right, the kami told you it's name, which went on the sword. All timing was done by mantra. All hammering used the tan tien/Hara to forge the blade. The forge was consecrated as a spiritual place and one had to ritually purify oneself before you entered.. gee, sounds like ritual magic to me!!!

Samurai sword smithing started out at the peak of the art and declined ever since. My theory is that the mis-use of the spiritually charged blades in ego-centric ways, karmically obscured the Kami-spirits that were used in the invocation, until it didn't work any more, thus the decline and loss of the technique. My shin-shinto blades can't hold a candle to the koto old school I have, quite amazing..

A little side note: The reason the chinese have such a passion for imperial jadeite is that it has the same resonant energy as the top of the head ( crown chakra) or "Shen" Back when I first played around with Gemstones, a friend and his chinese partner had one of only 3 u.s. licenses to buy at the burmese jade auctions in the 70's. (partner was chinese in hong kong) I was in my 20's back then, and he invited me into the vault at the bank one day to look at the goods.. He pulled out the top 2 parcels from the 1972 auction, $270k in 1972 dollars for the 1st one. These were 3 stones, about the side of your index fingernail in each parcel. The green was just unbelivablely rich and vibrant. I got to handle and look at each stone. We spent about 30 minutes in there... When I came out, I felt as if the entire front of my body was sunburned!!! I did a lot of tai chi back then, and I could feel the effect of those stones for days.. I really "got" why the chinese wanted them and why they cost so much..