Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: how I got here
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:07 pm 
Gold Member

KK the legend of Wolf:

Way back in the late 60's earlier 70's I cut and polished opaques, Opals and quartzes of different colours. (1960 and 70's not 1800's :lol: wolf is mature not ancient) Used to go to Bancroft Ontario every year to the Rockfest, this was to opaques back then as Tucson is faceted gemstones today. A chance to pick up cutting material from all over the world. To see and be seen. To catch up with friends and to get new ideas on how to cut the stones. for some just to be 8)

Let out the making of findings (rings and what not).

In 1972 my son was born and that ended the first phase of my playing with stone. Always and still love gems but it takes time to raise a child properly.

Time passes, wolf gets .... hmm ..... more mature (refuse to ever get "old")

Came up with the brilliant idea to make a "ring" or some such nonsence for my two grand daughters, something to leave to them to remember granddad by. After all how hard could it be .. used to do that stuff all the time right?

Figured that their birthstones would be just right for the pieces that they should have. So went looking for suitable stones to be immortalized in granpa's gift to his grand daughters. Got the everlovingist shock of my life faceted gemstones were not at all as easy to just reach out pick up as opaques were. One had to worry about colour, clarity, cut and if that wasn't enough "treatments". Then the downhill slide started open one door for information and another one was just ahead. Soon I was hooked, like an addict I stumbled from forum to forum from informational website to informational website. The search for that Eldorado of golden knowledge became an out and out quest.

I stumbled out of the desert of ignorance into a small village peopled by individuals know as gemolgists. Wonder of wonders these people were willing to stand still and let you pick there brains for knowledge. Having been raised right I do say thanks after having picked these brains :)

The future, well when I can, I intend to take an online gemology course and when I can get the funds together the canadian gemological course. In the mean time I will continue to work on my "bench " and maybe do a little "gem trading" Oh and of course be very thankful for the wealth of information that those who live in "the village" are willing to part with.

Thanks all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:33 pm 

I'm not sure how I missed this earlier, but I'm glad that you found this "village" Wolf. Always nice to see another Canuck too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:02 pm 
Platinum Member

I missed your introduction aswell Wolf, sorry but welcome.

May I suggest you saving the funds for the CGA course and not do the online one. There is great information to be found online but they are no substitute for the real thing.
If you do want to take the online route, take the free ones. In my experience they are better than the ones you need to pay for.
And we will assist you in every possible way, for free.

Welcome to the century of free exchange.