New Mineral Named After GIA’s John Koivula
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Here I am again to "The Rock World"or"Rock th
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 pm 
Established Member

Well I am not sure why i always come back to gems and rocks. My Name is Qazi or also go by Faizi writing you all from San Diego;;; thanks to Joseph and Dan and Hummer at the local club introducing me to Gemology Online

It was my dad's passion and he was one of the Pioneer of gemstone minning and trade in Pakistan back in mid sixties. When He sent me here to United in 1996 for Masters in Engineering, i started writing on different forums. I had exciting times some interesting times too. I remember back then when i used to write on Forums about gemstone minning areas lot of folks were not aware of Pakistan that well. I took one American dealer back then to Tribal Areas Pakistan in 1997 and showed online comunity a close look at tribal area Mining Sites. In 2001 i took a back seat in the family business and joined my civil engineering carreer again here in Los Angeles now in San Diego.

I guess i am going through middle age crisis as in September 2009 i was watching Television News and just realized that this war back home can not be fought by people of United States alone. We, the Pakistanis, Afghanis and Middle easterns who come here and enjoy their life and freedom need to go back and bridge the gap and find some sense in all this nonsense. So Next day, i went to my Boss and said "Please Fire me" and he is looking at me with astonishment as he has not heard such words in this economy. Anyway, to make the story short, he said he can only let me go on one month vacation and firing is not an option. I had this friend of mine who sits next to my office and is CFO of one of the opco our Engineering Corporate acquired. He asked me what would i do and why do i wanna quit. I blankly told him why i want to quit and that i want to re-establish the business as our tribesmen dont need to bomb each other they need to get back to work and find gemstones. It took my CFO one Week to generate the cash get a ware house and all other things needed and i was back in Pakistan ( Peshawar area ) after 7 or so years. Any way this is my story and this is who i am ... and if you have seen me Peaublo Bar at Tcuson show ... nay i dont know u as i was too drunk;;; :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:17 am 
Site Admin

hi Qazi and WELCOME to the forum :D
you seems another gemalcholic to me, no chance to heal from such illness, IMO, well....welcome to the family! :lol:
BENVENUTO!! 8)
ciao
alberto

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:36 pm 
Established Member

Thanks;; I guess you are right Gemalcholic or rocaholic and it runs through genetic;;; may be i should join "Gemalcholic synonmious"

Looking forward to contributing to the forumn;;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:00 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hello Fazalur,

Good to see you here. It's been a while since we chatted...Gemking or was it FD ?

Tony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Glad you found us.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:05 am 
Established Member

Its my 2nd day posting and already made so many friends...just comming back from bill larson lecture about burma gems and gia is already recomending I should do a presenytation on pakistan and afghanistan minerals...all this won't have been possible without this forumn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Qazi
good to have you on the forums, Sorry for the delay in replying
Been to Peshawar quite afew times first time was in 1985. This area is a interesting and fascinating part of the world, going back to the Indus valley culture that flourished over 4500 years ago. The mountain are something, did a bit of tracking up past Chitral and Hunza did not have much choise as the road was out for miles avalanche. Did not make it to the Skardo area
In another post You go on about, Skigar valley, just found out on Google thats the route to K2. At Namak mandi met people from Skardo with nice crystal Beryl topaz etc pity I did not have time to visit there . Its good to have You on the forum and first hands information on this part of the world. I plan on visiting soon Hope the situation gets better there
looking forward to your posts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:27 am 
Valued Contributor

Qazi , welcome to the forum and welcome back home and happy mining , do give me a call when in lahore

Mazhar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:18 am 
Platinum Member

HI Qazi. I remember you from the "old days" on FD. I'm the one who goofed and once mistakenly called you Fazi, only to learn to answer to that nickname too. Welcome to the group. I look forward to your posts.

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject: Thanks Rick
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 pm 
Established Member

Hi Rick, I remember you too. Old days were different. I had no idea that Market has gotten so different. But nice to see new forumns like this. Back in Peshawar things are different too. When i was there situation was bit crazy. I myself escaped two bombings. But worth to all this over again and hope i dont get distracted.

Post subject: Thanks Mazhar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:39 pm 
Established Member

Nice to see a lahori in gem collection hobby;;; I will give you a call when i am in peshawar. I usually visit Lahore to see family friends but this time i only had a month.

Post subject: To davegibson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:45 pm 
Established Member

Back in 1985 life was much different in Pakistan. There were lot more foregniers you would see. Despite the fact that Afghan Mujahideen would be travelling with open arms and AK47 in the streets of Peshawar but things were much more quiter.
I believe Skardu area is not that bad. When i was there, lot of political things going as there were elections in that area. I got friend with first woman representative of the area and had some nice time. I did see few foriengners there. When I was at the new emerald mine deposit, some one blasted a bom in Gilgit and things became tense between shiates ( majority in the area ) and sunni ( Minority in that area ). People are really hospitable and despite all this tensions i lived among shiates and being a sunny never felt threatened. They are really nice people and rich with som many gemstones.