Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello and thanks for this forum
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:12 am 
Valued Contributor

Hello everybody,
I am very happy to see this welcomed and well organised alternative to pricescope.
Thanks John for inviting me.
It is also nice to see/read people that had vanished from pricescope. Sad thing that is! But, as someone said, the web can not be stopped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:25 am 

Hello and welcome Edward, I'm delighted that someone pointed you in our direction.

Love your site, you'll probably find a few links from here to there already since some of us have had you bookmarked for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:34 am 
Gold Member

Hello Edward! Welcome to our forum! We look forward to hearing more from you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:23 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi Edward, I was reading your "how-to mine" article the other day.. very informative.
Great that you joined us.

Post subject: Re: Hello and thanks for this forum
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:49 pm 
Valued Contributor

Edward Bristol wrote:
Hello everybody,
I am very happy to see this welcomed and well organised alternative to pricescope.
Thanks John for inviting me.
It is also nice to see/read people that had vanished from pricescope. Sad thing that is! But, as someone said, the web can not be stopped.

Welcome Edward,

Good to see you join us - although we cannot post at Pricescope, we do stop in from time to time to browse. Noted your remarks on the sapphire ring about emerald cut sapphires being extremely difficult to find. Do you really think this is true - I note you have a number of emerald cut sapphires on your own website, some are very nice indeed.

I know we cut quite a few in this way as I think it works well with our sapphire and is a very elegant shape for a ring. Maybe ovals are easy to find but I was surprised to see so many say it would be almost impossible to find an emerald cut sapphire.

I like your website - very informative.
cheers from

Post subject: emerald cut sapphire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:15 am 
Valued Contributor

Holy Mice,
Andrew you are right: I do have emerald cut blue sapphire!!!!
What a bad businessman I am...
Instead of saying: 'sure, have a look for EC cut stones here on my wonderfull website' (and thus get banned from pricescope) I talked bullshit - there one sees what happens if you try to eliminate entrepreneurial motivation!
I now recollect I wrote that because I once searched my fingers bloody for a client who wanted a pink EC sapphire. I never got it.
However, thanks for the welcome.
All the best across the world.
Edward

Post subject: Re: emerald cut sapphire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:42 am 
Valued Contributor

Edward Bristol wrote:
Holy Mice,
Instead of saying: 'sure, have a look for EC cut stones here on my wonderfull website' (and thus get banned from pricescope) I talked bullshit - there one sees what happens if you try to eliminate entrepreneurial motivation!
I now recollect I wrote that because I once searched my fingers bloody for a client who wanted a pink EC sapphire. I never got it.
Edward

We understand the need to be tactful on Pricescope very well :wink:

And there are always buyers that want the very thing you cant supply. We once ran around looking for a particular type of stone along with almost the entire Australia sapphire industry before we realised this client was just doing price research. But there were a lot of very valuable stones going in all directions in the mail while people "assisted" him with his research.

I must admit though that emerald cut sapphires are a particular favourite so I was reading that thread with interest.

cheers for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:06 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Welcome Edward!

Always have loved to browse your site! Good to have you here, you will soon see, this forum is a real alternative in every aspect.

Merry Christmas from Vienna,

Nikolaus

Post subject: Re: emerald cut sapphire
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:27 pm 
Platinum Member

Edward Bristol wrote:
Holy Mice,
Instead of saying: 'sure, have a look for EC cut stones here on my wonderful website' (and thus get banned from Pricescope) I talked bullshit - there one sees what happens if you try to eliminate entrepreneurial motivation!
Edward

He, eh... I remember that post. First thing done was to check 'Wildfishgems' and fish an example of the contrary. An impressive blue spinel just had to jump up from the site into the Pricescope thread where is now awaiting feedback. Congratulations for the attractive pictures, by the way :wink:

It is funny how Pricescope's policy turns and twists conversation. The contrary is also done. Have you seen 'Diamond Talk' (DT)? I haven't been around these forums long enough to know old history, but as far as I could guess from vintage posts, Pricescope was a spin off of it. And sure enough, the rules of what can be said by whom are precisely opposite in the two forums: on Pricescope sellers cannot self promote, on DT they can't do anything but. One forum encourages buyers to post whatever they know and refer to third party merchandise, on the other this not the case, etc. The effects are quite odd: the forums get similar traffic, but widely different numbers of registered participants and posts - Pricecope gets allot more written input, and vastly more from folk outside the business (e.g. myself - guilty as charged).

Which and why is better for what sort of business - no idea. I wish I had some way to find out at least in broad terms. To me comparing the two adds up to no more than observing a 'natural experiment' if you wish.