New Mineral Named After GIA’s John Koivula
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:38 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I had to take a few days to digest the last two posts. I was told that no question is stupid, but honestly I felt stupid regarding using gloves. The gloves were listed as safety equipment. I've looked at all the books and info I have and no one is wearing gloves, but this is new to me. I don't want to come off as an emotional female, but it seems as if I already have that pinned on me.

I want to learn. That is why I am here. I bought the book because I want more instruction. And I am serious about learning.

I've had my share of torn up hands. As a matter of fact I can't keep a manicure which is why I wear acrylics when I want to look dressy and not show off my work hard hands. I am not a sissy. I can take pain just like anyone else and I have quite a few slivers embedded in my fingers to prove it.

So, I ordered the book recommended by someone on this thread and I have ordered a bunch of tools I noticed I lack to do bench jewelry. What do I have to do to prove I am one of the "guys?" I fell stupid and belittled now. Any suggestions?

Thanks for letting me say my peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Gee, if I felt stupid every time someone gave me advice or straightened a misconception I had, I'd feel stupid ALL the time, LOL.
I will tell you that I am frequently humbled by the level of expertise on this forum. And there's nothing wrong with that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:20 pm 
Gold Member

hi Deb

I'm probably not the best one to answer your post .. being a certified curmudgeon an all.

None of the remarks made on the forum are meant to be taken personally, honest. Now thats not to say that not all people had a mama that raised'em right, but I'm sure that none of them have found their way to the forum.

Also you have to understand that since this forum is world wide not all the members speak the "Queen's English" with Lord Byrons facility. If they were to answer you in their own language I'm sure the answer would be put in terms both poetic and harmoneous. :)

Anyway I still say that there are no stupid questions ... but some answers may be .. well less than well thought out (done that myself). Anyway give it a chance and always consider where the answer is coming from ......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:00 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

Hi Deb,
That wasn't a stupid question, it was actually a good one.
As I said, can understand wearing gloves for lampworking but in the jewellery arena, fast rotating devices will grab onto anything eg gloves, loose sleeves or long hair that might fall onto it when you move in for a closer look.

Just hope you can understand Alberto's and my reasoning for why not to use gloves in this area, the response certainly wasn't to put down or to ridicule, just to make aware.

Look forward to more questions.
That's what we're all here for, learning and putting our 2c worth in where we think it might help.
Everyone has their own opinions which is productive. The more that comment, the more choices you can make or try to see if it works for you.

OK?:smt056

Merryn.

Most of the fire on the wall has been put out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:15 am 
Site Admin

Hey Deb,
Sorry if my post seemed too...blunt? absolutely no offense intended! :D As Wolf said, english is not my language and i tend to be sometimes too direct answering questions, i don't like to turn around the issue. Knowing each other needs time and...practice, please ask all the questions you want, we (i) try to answer the best we (i) can :D
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:52 am 

See
Quote:
i don't like to turn around the issue

I'd say "I don't like to beat around the bush". :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:55 am 
Site Admin

see? every moment there's a chance to learn something new :D ...
thank you!
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 am 

:P :smt058

Post subject: Can't help but like you guys
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:50 pm 

But when I felt like I was kind of being mocked because I'm wanting to wear gloves, which I swear, comes in the dremel tools set of instructions. I don't know what I'm doing, you guys are the experts. I defer to that. But it was kind of like the old boys club. Pat on the back, a little laugh and "yeah, you could wear gloves if you want em caught in the rotary too.." (scratch yourself wherever and spit on the ground) Little lady, you need to listen to us!

By the way, I yanked the nails off...not going to the salon, it doesn't hurt that much.

I have always worked mainly around men. I know what it's all about and the universal "man's club" no matter where you are from. Testosterone is testosterone. I can tell you that I dealt with those men because I had to and I've made a few Marines blush. I am not the cry baby female. They actually had words to describe me, one was "queen" to which I reply, "it's good to be Queen!" I will leave the other one left to the imagination, but I'm sure you can guess. It is the word for a female dog.

You guys are the experts. That is why I pulled up my big girl boots (without gloves), yanked off the acrylics and spoke my peace. And, for what it's worth, it takes guts to speak at least in my world. I am more inclined to just not come back. That is how bad I want to learn and also I NEED to learn. I will not share the sob stories of my life. Everyone has one. Let's just say that I really need to learn this.

I do appreciate your input. Sometimes people can be insensitive to other's egos. I need to leave my ego outside of this site. Thank you for being helpful and welcoming. It is not that I can't accept help, it was the kind of laugh and man slapping that ruffled my fur. I can handle it, but beware. I can dish it out as well.

Thanks! Deb 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:28 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I did not get the sense at all that they were mocking you in any of those posts. Or that it was a boys club. I think that was an assumption on your part that really isn't supported by what they posted or intended.

The reason that the Dremel tools tell you to wear gloves is so that you can't sue them if you nick yourself.

I would just let it pass as a misunderstanding. And there isn't a man club here (unless they have a secret treehouse somewhere that the rest of us aren't aware of). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:34 pm 
Platinum Member

Don't worry about the gloves and comments Debrus. I wear a Super Hero spandex unitard and deflect aggressive comments like rubber bullets. I'll protect you. :)

But, if you make fun of my Mommy, you're on your own. :)

Post subject: I will stay in my corner
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 pm 

What started out as a simple comment has become a huge thing. I certainly didn't intend for it to be. The females feel a need to back up the males for some reason. I mentioned I was getting them. I didn't ask whether I should. I am still buying gloves.

Sometimes things can be misconstrued on these bulletin boards because you can't look at me in the face and see my expression. I felt that if I was going to be a part of the forum I should say my peace and let it go. Now it has become this one saying that and that one saying this and all I wanted to say was hello because I was new. I've decided to just stay in the corner and shut my mouth.

For anyone that I have offended, I apologize. Why people feel they need to "back up" another person for whatever reason, well it is obvious that I don't belong.

Yes, I believe that the two men were offering up their experiences to me and I appreciate that, but at the same time I felt a kind of "she doesn't know anything" kind of message between the lines. I admit it. I don't know anything, which is why I came here to learn. A very nice customer told me about this site. I was hoping to make new friends and that you would know that when I said I don't know anything, that I don't know anything.

Having said that, I will just go to the reference material and learn the way I usually do, trial and error. I have self-taught many things, so I'll get it sooner or later.

JB, I appreciate your offer. Perhaps I am a little more sensitive because I have so much going on in my life right now. Whatever it is, I still love making jewelry and trying to identify gemstones. I will be taking the ISG gemology and appraisal course shortly. That is my first goal. I hope to find real live instructors to learn from and they can see I'm a real decent person who is just so depressed and stressed right now and how much I need to learn a trade to support myself.

Thanks for the comments and information. Best of luck to everyone and perhaps one day we will meet at a trade show or the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:37 pm 
Gold Member

I, for one, have been incredibly wrong in assigning gender to some of the handles used here. After some time and numerous posts later, I have found that I was mistaken several times. This is not meant to diminish your feelings, which are real, no matter what.
I do urge you to read as many books on the subject as possible. Your local library may be a good source. Safety is an issue that is very important these days to us jeweler's/goldsmiths and it was not that way, not long ago.
Common sense also goes a long way in keeping yourself safe.
Do not shy away from asking questions here. This is one of the most knowledgeable and generous forums that I have ever taken part in and everyone really does try to be as kind as possible. Personal attacks are not tolerated at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:43 pm 

hi debsrus and welcome to GO!! :D

i believe you may have misunderstood some of the forum members' posts.

i promise, they are a good bunch of folks (and enjoy a good laugh! every now and then) here which come from all over the world and enjoy participating on the forum and sharing information. hope you will continue to post on the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

You know what, debsrus, I'm not quite sure this IS a good place for you.
You have "misinterpreted" every offer to help you and you seem to want to be victimized by our member's good intentions.
There is no reason for our members to apologize for anything. So far, we've wasted time trying to make rational points to someone who chooses to interpret comments in an irrational way.

I'm sure there are other online venues which would better suit your needs.
:D